GC Suns DT/SC in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
As it was mentioned in another thread, I figured I would start something up for opposition supporters to ask us about players relevant to fantasy games.

I'll point out first that DT Talk has an article about the Suns up here.

With that said, I think it's clear that they don't follow the Suns much! Their best 22 is a little off, so I'll try to put up some information from a Suns fan.

I guess I'll start off with the players that people are probably thinking about. I don't play SC myself, so will only be explaining things in DT terms. I also won't bother posting prices of players. You can look that stuff up yourself.

----

GC Sun regulars in 2011, and whether you should get them in 2012

David Swallow
He'll continue to play every game if fit. I haven't seen him miss a pre-season training session yet, so is clearly fit and ready after his hamstring issue in round 24 of 2011. Very likely to go up a little in scoring potential given the fact that not only he, but everyone around him has more experience.

Dion Prestia
Prestia went to Arizona and participated well in the training there, but following that had surgery on his hand. He's due to resume training soon, but be advised that he has missed most of the pre-season between Arizona and Christmas.

Gary Ablett
If you don't have him in your team, you're nuts. Is apparently having one of the best pre-season of his career (as he didn't have to have any surgery following the season), and has thus far completed 80% of it. As opposed to the 20% last year.

Zac Smith
Not a bad option as a second ruck if you're looking to save some money there. Smith slowed down in the second half of last season, but bounced back to his best after a week off here and there. I haven't seen him miss much of the pre-season either, so he's definitely getting some fitness up. Could be a unique option.

Nathan Bock
Unlucky not to get AA recognition for 2011, really. Bock had the lovely job of holding down every single KPF in the competition last year, and managed to succeed more often than not. The guy is sturdy, no doubt. He only missed games last year due to suspension. He will miss rounds 1 and 2 this year due to that betting plunge, but should be back to his best afterwards. The aquisition of Warnock should also help free him up, so don't be surprised if Bock went forward to kick goals more often in 2012.

Jarrod Harbrow
Poor Harbrow was stuck playing the lock-down defender too much last year. It attributed to some poor scores on his behalf. On the few games where he was able to return to his fast running off half-back style though, he scored quite well. Again, the aquisition of Warnock is going to help return Harbrow to what he is good at doing. Getting the ball and running it out of HB. I expect to see him scoring far more consistently this year because of that reason.

Michael Rischitelli
Having a great, consistent and solid pre-season. Having only missed the one game in 2011, he's very sturdy and still in his prime. Certainly not a bad option if you're looking to have a unique third mid. Will average you nearly 100 I would say, barring injury.

Danny Stanley
Stay away from. The good things about Stanley last year was his dual position status and his price. Both of these he will not carry into 2012. Not entirely sure on how much pre-season he's done with ankle surgery in late 2011, but there are better options for his price.

Sam Iles
Stay away from again. With the young midfielders coming through, like Bennell, Caddy, McKenzie, Shaw, Swallow, etc, I'm not sure how much game time Iles is looking at. He was rested in the final games of last year and the Suns went particulary well, so that's going to hurt his chances. Not to say he won't play at all, but the days where he was an auto-start (like in the beginning half of 2011) are gone.

Those tipped to have bigger years in 2012

Josh Caddy
Caddy completed the full pre-season in 2011, played in one NAB Cup game and injured himself. He went back into training for the next 22 rounds, where he finally made his debut against Melbourne as the sub, and then the Hawks. He scored very, very well. By all reports he's having a blinder pre-season so far, tearing it up on the track. He is currently completing a running program as he injured a hip(I think?) during training, although I expect him to be fine come the NAB Cup. Considering he trained so much during the H&A season, missing some weeks in the official pre-season won't hurt him too much. He's tall and ready made, much like Swallow.

Keep an eye on him in the NAB Cup. If he comes through it unscathed, he should be a lock in. He'll play every game this year if fit, and will score well. Unique option and will net you some cash too.

Dan Gorringe
Gorringe went down last year and had LARS to get him back up and running. This may be an instant drawback, as several people who have had this surgery in the past have re-injured the joint. If you're willing to look past that however, Gorringe has bulked up. A lot. A side effect of not being able to run in his moon boot meant that Gorringe got to hit the weights. If he can avoid injury, I expect Gorringe to be the second ruck this year, with Fraser being phased out. Expect him to play in the forward line, with his (now) great strength enabling him to take some good marks. Probably not a bad unique pick for a 3rd ruck option, although I think most are going to look elsewhere.

Harley Bennell
Un-noticed for the first half of the season due to sub-par performances and off-season troubles, Harley really turned his season around after moving in with Karmichael. He seemed happier, and his on-field performances reflected this with some solid scores. He'll play nearly every game next year along with Swallow, and could very well net you some money for a downgrade target next year given he's done another pre-season. I would personally skip him over, but keep an eye on him in the NAB Cup. Could be a smokey.

Matt Shaw
Many opposition supporters will go, 'who?'. Shaw is a little-known utility, which is staggering considering he played the majority of games in 2011. He started the season off slow, but picked up quite a lot of momentum come the end of it. I would consider him a lock for the 22, and will get a senior game every week if fit. He'll get you a higher score than he did last year, but again, would look past him.

Luke Russell
Spooks is having the pre-season of his life. Having won the Arizona award for achieving the most, Russell is gunning hard for one of the very few midfield positions available. You'll probably see him more in the forward line, but don't be surprised to see some big scores come from this guy in 2012. He was a fringe player in 2011, but has worked hard and I think will be a regular in the 22 come 2012. I'll need to see how he goes in the NAB Cup, but would expect him to average about 60 at this stage.

New kids on the block

Kyal Horsley
Probably the guy that we've had the most questions about. Horsley is a terrific pickup for the Suns. He won the B&F from his old club Subiaco, came runner up for the Sandover medal and averaged 24 touches in the WAFL. Excellent credentials, no doubt. He plays mostly as a midfielder, and as an experienced body could certainly be on the list of future stars amoungst the Suns midfield. Helping out Caddy, Swallow, or even Ablett if any are injured.

The problem? Horsley is listed as a rookie. Last I heard, the Suns were attempting to place Nathan Krakouer on extended medical leave and elevate a rookie to take his place. That rookie would be Horsley. He'll play in the NAB Cup, but still not sure if he's eligible to play many senior games in 2012. Check back later. If he is eligible to play, lock him in for a bench/cash cow option since he will definitely get games. If nothing else to help Ablett and Rischitelli out.

Matthew Warnock
Traded from the Dees for pick ...40-something, Matthew Warnock is an acquisition that is going to change how the Suns back-line will work. As already mentioned, his arrival into the back line will free up players like Bock and Harbrow to play slightly different roles on occasion. Unlike his position at the Dees, he will definitely play nearly every game of the season if left uninjured. I'm not sure how many points he'll score, but you can at least be assured of his job security.

Look at it like this. If Bock is playing in the backline (which he will still do some 70% of the time in 2012), Warnock will get the second tall in the opposition forward setup. Maybe even the third tall, so long as Campbell Brown stays fit. He could be effective there. However, if Bock is being used up forward for a game (which WILL happen on occasion), it will be up to Warnock to hold down the KPF. His ability to score will likely change depending on where Bock is being used.

I guess the key thing to remember is that while Warnock has been brought in to replace Bock on occasion, he will never score the same amount. Remember, Bock is an AA level CHB. Warnock is not.

Henry Schade
Groomed as the next big KPD for the squad, Schade is a great overhead mark and a teriffic left foot kick. Due to his very skinny frame though, I'm tipping that he will play five games maximum for 2012. He's not ready for AFL level yet, and with the list of current defenders in the back 6 there will be no rush to bring him in.

Aaron Hall
One of the most exciting prospects to come out of the TSL, Hall is an enigmatic type of player who can play nearly anywhere. Think of this guy as a fusion between Danny Stanley and Brandon Matera. He's a mature age recruit and great overhead mark like Stanley. And like Stanley, I expect him to play in the HF line with occasional stints in the middle. Like Matera, he's also very good at ground level, so can see him kicking goals. I'm not entirely sure how much he'll play in 2012. However, considering that he made the senior list and is an older recruit, keep an eye on him. Watch out for him in the NAB Cup. If he goes really well there, he could be a great cash cow.

Something to note from followers of the TSL is that he is a little inconsistent (nearly Brennan level), but he can score. But for 98k, could be a gem.

Andrew McQualter

Do not pick this guy. He's a rookie, and will not get much game-time whatsoever.

Wildcards

Trent McKenzie
The Canon is gearing up for a big 2012, having participated in much of the pre-season so far. He is currently completing a rehab program for some knee inflamation though, so not sure how much that is going to affect him. I think McKenzie scored well last year due to his unknown qualities. He racked up points for kicking goals from well inside the square. However, now that people know about his speed to break lines and ability to kick goals from 70 meters, they're going to cover him far more often. I would probably steer clear, as he'll have the occasional big game in 2012, but nothing consistently high.

Brandon Matera
Hasn't done much of the pre-season at all due to post-season surgeries. Nothing major, just clean-outs. He has been doing modified programs, but he's certainly not doing the bash and crash sessions. He will probably have the big game in 2012, but with Aaron Hall arriving from the TSL, there will be no rush to bring him back. He's a future star, and will make sure he is completely fit before playing him.

Jared Brennan
I think people who pick Jars in their DT team probably feel exactly like his actual Coaches do. Frustrated one week, and in awe the next. The frustrating thing about Brennan is that he has the ability to be a game-changer. When he amps up into this level of his game, he scores very well, very quickly. But then a lot of other weeks, he'll be lucky to collect 20 touches. If you're looking for a wildcard, he would definitely be an option. But for someone his price, I certainly would not blame you for going a different option.

Tom Lynch
Hasn't missed a beat of pre-season training, and looks to be shaping up well. The young forward who showed the most in 2011 will be certain to play lots of games in 2011 and improve greatly (especially if Bock is up there to help him out), but I don't expect him to be relevant in DT until 2013.

Sam Day
For some reason, Day is listed as being in the top 10 of winning the Rising Star nomination. Not entirely sure what those people know! He has spent a lot of time in recovery after doing his knee, and he's also completing a running program which I think has to do with it. If he can get himself right, I think he'll be like Lynch. He'll play lots of games and be better, but do not expect him to be DT relevant.

Maverick Weller
Our own resident Top Gun had a decent run in 2011. He was in the side quite a bit, although did have his weeks off for rest and recovery. Unfortunately for Mav, he will exist next year in a similar type of position. Not quite a definite starting 22 player, but hovering around that mark. As a defender, he's fighting with a host of other players for 3 out of a possible 6 positions (given that the experienced boys are playing). What he has got going for him though, is that he's one of the few small defenders on the GC list. Sort of the next Campbell Brown. He's also tough as nails, has a big tank and is hard at the contest, so expect him to have some stints in the midfield when he plays. I believe I've seen him go forward to kick a goal every now and then too, but he primarily seems to be played down the back. When he's not getting elbowed in the face by Buddy Franklin, he goes okay. ;)

Will improve next year. For those games that he plays (again, position not secure), I would expect him to average around 55.

great write up, sunny. would have to agree with most of what you've said.

weller is another one to consider, depending on how he goes in the nab cup. hoping for some big improvements from mav.

Very nice summary Sunny!!

Horsley clearly my focus (and also a fair portion of DT/SC people) and thanks for your summary below (repeated for convenience)

------------------------------
Kyal Horsley
Probably the guy that we've had the most questions about. Horsley is a terrific pickup for the Suns. He won the B&F from his old club Subiaco, came runner up for the Sandover medal and averaged 24 touches in the WAFL. Excellent credentials, no doubt. He plays mostly as a midfielder, and as an experienced body could certainly be on the list of future stars amoungst the Suns midfield. Helping out Caddy, Swallow, or even Ablett if any are injured.

The problem? Horsley is listed as a rookie. Last I heard, the Suns were attempting to place Nathan Krakouer on extended medical leave and elevate a rookie to take his place. That rookie would be Horsley. He'll play in the NAB Cup, but still not sure if he's eligible to play many senior games in 2012. Check back later. If he is eligible to play, lock him in for a bench/cash cow option since he will definitely get games. If nothing else to help Ablett and Rischitelli out.

Now updated with Mav. Knew I forgot someone!

I'm still not sure how Mav will go in 2012. By all rights he is training well, and he's tough as nails when it comes to the contest. I just don't think he's a walk-up start in the side. One of the things he's got going for him is that he's being groomed into a small defender, something that the Suns haven't got a lot of. Aside from Hunt and Brown, anyway. If either of those miss, you'd think he'd be in the side for sure. He'd got the tank to run in the midfield I think, but doesn't seem to be put there.

I remember GCSuns saying that he wants to see Weller as a tagger. Maybe we'll see more of that from him.

Quality work Sunny_! Might finally give DT a go this year.

Put your name in for Supercoach Thermo :)

My GC picks would be Caddy, Bennell, and you cant go past Ablett in your side regardless of his pricetag. I'm hoping Caddy might be one of those dual position players in the game, but I'm not sure if they've classed him as a F, M, or D.

Not in my DT team but wondering what's the go with Hayden Jolly?
He got a handful of games last season and looked okay without being damaging.
How has his pre-season been?

Not in my DT team but wondering what's the go with Hayden Jolly?
He got a handful of games last season and looked okay without being damaging.
How has his pre-season been?

Have not heard a word from him. I'm confident he went to Arizona, but with that said, I cannot remember seeing him in any pre-season training videos at all.

Jolly is a depth player at this stage, so won't be getting regular game time. Unless he blisters in the NAB Cup (which I can see him playing), his chances in 2012 at senior level will be few and far between I think.

Nice write up Sunny , Caddy and Horsley are 2 that you have to look at this season , Horsley is a ball magnet that will play games you would think , and Caddy injury free will be a stand out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great write up. Thanks for the word on Ablett, couldn't decide between him and Swan. Still over a month to go of pre season of course

I assume from the best 22 and this thread, Jeremy Taylor is a pass?? Decent average from 2 games last year, didn't really see him?
Any advice on selecting him/news on form/info as a player??

Also, may as well include it in the 1 post, where are injuries and all that located on the GCS website? I find it good, but difficult to navigate through as I'm not used to it.
Thanks again

Great write up. Thanks for the word on Ablett, couldn't decide between him and Swan. Still over a month to go of pre season of course

I assume from the best 22 and this thread, Jeremy Taylor is a pass?? Decent average from 2 games last year, didn't really see him?
Any advice on selecting him/news on form/info as a player??

Also, may as well include it in the 1 post, where are injuries and all that located on the GCS website? I find it good, but difficult to navigate through as I'm not used to it.
Thanks again

Good question about J. Taylor.

Personally, I would have him in my 22 if fit. From what I understand he played the 2 games in 2011, then after the Geelong game at Skilled he had to go in for some more groin surgery. But in those 2 games he was one of our best youngsters in the backline.

He's all cleaned up now and training well in the pre-season. He is NOT listed on the injury list, so you'd think he's alright.

The problem with Taylor is that he's fighting for a much sought after spot in the back-line. With Warnock, Bock, Harbrow and Brown pretty guaranteed spots (injury permitting), that leaves only 2 players left. By his efforts last year, Thompson I believe has cemented himself there too, leaving only 1 spot. This will usually go to Hunt.

Fighting over any spots that come up empty throughout the season due to injury or suspension will be Weller, Tape, Toy, Wilkinson, Taylor and May.

From what I saw of him last year, Taylor is the best of that group, but we only saw him play 2 games. I would think he would get first crack if fit, but I'm not sure when that time will come.

If he can keep himself fit and blisters in the NAB Cup, it might be worthwhile to check back here and see if there are any updates. He might just fill the empty spot left by Bock with his round 1 & 2 suspension.

Injuries aren't listed on the website. They were sent to GC members. I believe TSG posted the injuries here.

Wondering your thoughts on Alex Sexton Sunny? Chance to get early games?

With a pre-season in him, I think he's definitely a chance to play the NAB Cup. After all, he was touted as going in the first round if he was eligible for the 2011 draft.

Any further than that and I'm not sure. I'm just wondering who would go out for him? He might get the odd game here and there when others get injured, but cannot see him becoming a regular in the 22 in 2012 unless I'm missing something.

He could be the ideal Caddy replacement, actually. Assuming he goes at the end of the 2012 season. Tall midfielder who can go forward and kick goals. Our own version of Fyfe. Would look at him further in 2013.

Wondering your thoughts on Alex Sexton Sunny? Chance to get early games?

My opinion is he will not get a game in 2012 but a young project player to groom for 2013 onwards with Jaeger. I would imagine they would be on similar programs.

The kid is 18 I think and probably about 73-74kg dripping wet. Cant see him putting on the extra 10-12kg in the space of the last couple months, and next month to warrant a look in for 2012. Possible NAB cup run for 1 or 2 games, but thats all in my opinion.

A comparison to Caddy is way off the mark sorry to disagree with you there Sunny. Sexton is a flanker at best at this stage while Caddy in my eyes is almost a midfielder/utility and has the bulk to be put almost anywhere and take the hits if needed.

A comparison to Caddy is way off the mark sorry to disagree with you there Sunny. Sexton is a flanker at best at this stage while Caddy in my eyes is almost a midfielder/utility and has the bulk to be put almost anywhere and take the hits if needed.

I dunno. For some reason I can see Sexton doing a Caddy type role. When he fills out, I mean. They're both the same height aren't they? Caddy has 10 kgs of weight to his name mind you.

Happy to defer to someone who has greater knowledge though. ;) I've only seen Caddy play twice. Both times he was playing a MID/HF position. Somewhere I expect Sexton to play, based on the reports I've read of him. Although admitedly have not actually seen Sexy play. :eek:

EDIT: Used my amazing new powers to sticky the thread!

I dunno. For some reason I can see Sexton doing a Caddy type role. When he fills out, I mean. They're both the same height aren't they? Caddy has 10 kgs of weight to his name mind you.

Happy to defer to someone who has greater knowledge though. ;) I've only seen Caddy play twice. Both times he was playing a MID/HF position. Somewhere I expect Sexton to play, based on the reports I've read of him. Although admitedly have not actually seen Sexy play. :eek:

I havent seen him play either :p but we cant keep throwing kids in the deep end in my opinion. We have such a big list with talent over flowing, I cant see as big of a rotation and debutants this year.

At some point we have to nurse 5 -10 of the younger green players through, which I put Sexton into this category :)

Good question about J. Taylor.

Personally, I would have him in my 22 if fit. From what I understand he played the 2 games in 2011, then after the Geelong game at Skilled he had to go in for some more groin surgery. But in those 2 games he was one of our best youngsters in the backline.

He's all cleaned up now and training well in the pre-season. He is NOT listed on the injury list, so you'd think he's alright.

The problem with Taylor is that he's fighting for a much sought after spot in the back-line. With Warnock, Bock, Harbrow and Brown pretty guaranteed spots (injury permitting), that leaves only 2 players left. By his efforts last year, Thompson I believe has cemented himself there too, leaving only 1 spot. This will usually go to Hunt.

Fighting over any spots that come up empty throughout the season due to injury or suspension will be Weller, Tape, Toy, Wilkinson, Taylor and May.

From what I saw of him last year, Taylor is the best of that group, but we only saw him play 2 games. I would think he would get first crack if fit, but I'm not sure when that time will come.

If he can keep himself fit and blisters in the NAB Cup, it might be worthwhile to check back here and see if there are any updates. He might just fill the empty spot left by Bock with his round 1 & 2 suspension.

Injuries aren't listed on the website. They were sent to GC members. I believe TSG posted the injuries here.

Thanks for the news and info injuries.

I'm planning on staying away from most GC players, except the guns (Ablett, Bock) and 1 or 2 exciting rookies (Horseley), due to what I expect to be high rotations...would that be expected?

Especially with the depth in the small defender role, can see players getting 3 or 4 games at a time then rotating...

Great write up by most poster :)

Tipping Horsley to get elevated before round 1 and will have a huge impact. Will get a lot of the ball and tackles.

Dave Swallow will pick up his game another level, so much value at the Suns' :D

To those saying they will pick up Horsley, please remember that he is on the rookie list. The only reason he can be elevated is if that stuff with Krakouer gets through, which I don't know about yet. Just be wary, and be sure to have back-up ready in case he isn't elevated.

Thanks for the news and info injuries.

I'm planning on staying away from most GC players, except the guns (Ablett, Bock) and 1 or 2 exciting rookies (Horseley), due to what I expect to be high rotations...would that be expected?

Especially with the depth in the small defender role, can see players getting 3 or 4 games at a time then rotating...

According to Bluey, players will not be rotated around nearly as much in 2012. No-one is being gifted a game from now on just for the sake of getting games, which will lead to a much more solid 22 this year. Those fringe players will still get opportunities, but moreso because of starting players either not performing or getting injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

GC Suns DT/SC in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back