GDFL 2009 Season - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this the same Alsopp that plays cricket at Torquay in the 2's?

He did play at guild but may have also played for torquay. I worked with the bloke for a few days late last year and he seemed like a really good bloke. Absolute bloody tragedy and sincere condolences to the Alsopp family.

Glad game was shown on tv, now everyone can see the standard of umpiring that this league continues to get. Lewis's report for misconduct was a disgrace as was his red card, Tarr's was a 50 metre at best ,not yellow and report. Shocking umpiring, substandard surface, not what the league wanted for it's show case game.:thumbsu: to skrobba and east
which channel?which tv are you talking about?

No. Played with Guild Saints.

Played a few years at East Belmont with him aswell. A good cricketer but most of all he was a top bloke.
Hopefully the bloke that hit him goes away for a long time.

Also i don't know how East Geelong can go on celebrating the next day. Fair enough they won a Grand Final but that is just bloody disrespectful. Typical of a shit club like that!

Played a few years at East Belmont with him aswell. A good cricketer but most of all he was a top bloke.

Also i don't know how East Geelong can go on celebrating the next day. Fair enough they won a Grand Final but that is just bloody disrespectful. Typical of a shit club like that!

Your an absolute bloody ********.

You obviously know nothing about what your talking about, I'd hardly call what the club was doing was celebrating.

The bloke that hit him is also a good bloke which makes the incident so hard for people to understand, it just goes to show how easy things can go wrong. One punch that has ruined so many peoples lives, I don't think slagging the club or anyone will help you moron.

We've all been in a blue before and its never anyone's intention to kill a bloke. The bloke who hit him would be feeling like shit and its something he'll have to live with for the rest of his life. And i doubt very much that east boys would be celebrating. Mourning over the loss of a team mate over a beers like any of would do in the same situation.

We've all been in a blue before and its never anyone's intention to kill a bloke. The bloke who hit him would be feeling like shit and its something he'll have to live with for the rest of his life. And i doubt very much that east boys would be celebrating. Mourning over the loss of a team mate over a beers like any of would do in the same situation.

Which makes the presidents words all the more surprising - that he would choose to say that the boys are still having a "quiet celebration" Sunday for their achievements cos thats what their teammate wouldve wanted. Why not just say that the drinks are now for mourning a lost mate or something? His words made it look disrespectful when it didnt have to look that way.

Maybe now finally people can stop doing this type of crap. Yep it was probably a punch that 99 times out of a hundred would do not much harm. But it did, we've all been in blues over our time but think back, did it ever really ever achieve anything? For effs sake stop punching on, look what happens, its just not worth it.

Which makes the presidents words all the more surprising - that he would choose to say that the boys are still having a "quiet celebration" Sunday for their achievements cos thats what their teammate wouldve wanted. Why not just say that the drinks are now for mourning a lost mate or something? His words made it look disrespectful when it didnt have to look that way.

It probably didnt come out the best but id say he would've been in shock as it wasnt even 12 hours after the tragedy had occured and he has to front up to every tv crew in melbourne. It wouldn't have meant to sound disrespectful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think that's the attitude that needs to change a bit...we haven't all been in a blue and it's never really acceptable to be in one.

Tragic day for local footy, no need for that all.

Maybe now finally people can stop doing this type of crap. Yep it was probably a punch that 99 times out of a hundred would do not much harm. But it did, we've all been in blues over our time but think back, did it ever really ever achieve anything? For effs sake stop punching on, look what happens, its just not worth it.

Probably the most sensible thing that has EVER been written on here by anyone, muttonchops...achieves f%^k all and can have absolutely tragic consequences...always easier to walk away

Well said mate. I've been in that situation dozens of times over my years. I've hit blokes, and blokes have hit me, and i could have very easily been either of those guys on the weekend. There is just no need for it. It's pointless, mindless and inexcusable.

Absolute tragedy. You've just got to look after your mates as best you can. Most of the time you can see when something is escalating and that's when you got to try intervene. 9/10 it starts as verbal and then it gets physical. If we can see the signs and act we can help avoid such incidents.

On footy moves, Lucas Murphy will not be joining Corio next season.

This whole thing is a complete tragedy that hopefully has opened everyone's eyes to the potential effects of these gutless violent acts. I understand East wouldn't have a snow flakes hope in hell of preventing this death and hopefully no other club has to go through this again. What is very disappointing though is how poorly East handled the situation the next day. In the eyes of the vast majority of people (especially women) the decision to continue drinking at the clubrooms on Sunday was a very insensitive, ill-timed and regrettable one. :mad:

This whole thing is a complete tragedy that hopefully has opened everyone's eyes to the potential effects of these gutless violent acts. I understand East wouldn't have a snow flakes hope in hell of preventing this death and hopefully no other club has to go through this again. What is very disappointing though is how poorly East handled the situation the next day. In the eyes of the vast majority of people (especially women) the decision to continue drinking at the clubrooms on Sunday was a very insensitive, ill-timed and regrettable one. :mad:

well said, i think football clubs have got 2 have a good look at the how high of a priority drinking is around a football club because 99% of fights are fueled by excessive drinking there is nothing wrong with having a few drinks but i think if clubs made sure it stayed at a few drink a lot of good would come out of it. i dont see y people would want to get together and start drinking again after 1 of there mates had just been killed pretty much because of drinkin

well said, i think football clubs have got 2 have a good look at the how high of a priority drinking is around a football club because 99% of fights are fueled by excessive drinking there is nothing wrong with having a few drinks but i think if clubs made sure it stayed at a few drink a lot of good would come out of it. i dont see y people would want to get together and start drinking again after 1 of there mates had just been killed pretty much because of drinkin

I understand the drinking culture at football clubs but the reality of it is that clubs rely on money that is generated from bar sales. And with the costs of running clubs these days they need that money. Its a bit of a catch 22 and is hard to get away from. But thats the reality. Clubs need money from grog sales. more grog sold more money. Good for the coffers but maybe not for the drinking culture. But in saying that i would think most clubs are pretty responsible and incidents like this are the exception not the norm, but thats not to lessen the severity of what happened on Saturday.

I understand the drinking culture at football clubs but the reality of it is that clubs rely on money that is generated from bar sales. And with the costs of running clubs these days they need that money. Its a bit of a catch 22 and is hard to get away from. But thats the reality. Clubs need money from grog sales. more grog sold more money. Good for the coffers but maybe not for the drinking culture. But in saying that i would think most clubs are pretty responsible and incidents like this are the exception not the norm, but thats not to lessen the severity of what happened on Saturday.

yes but wot would be better a club 2 hav a few more dollars or 2 kids 2 hav there father back??? im sure all clubs would just hav 2 cut the money they spend on players which would turn out 2 be a good thing cause the money some people get paid 2 play gdfl football is a joke

blaming alcohol is a cop out IMO.

people need to be responsible for their actions regardless of whether they are drinking or not. Sick of alcohol being used as an excuse for violence.. 90% of people don't start whacking blokes when they're on the piss, don't see why the other 10% feel the need too.

if you turn into an idiot when you drink, don't drink. pretty simple. don't feed me all this "culture" or "peer pressure" bullshit.

I am in no way saying this was the cause of Saturday nights incident (that's for the courts to decide), merely replying to the posts suggesting alcohol needs to be banned.

********s are ********s, alcohol or no alcohol.

and to all the clowns who thought it was a good idea to start box ons in the crowd during the under 18's game.. take a good hard look at yourself. nobody thinks you're "tough" and you've done a good job at helping prove the GDFL stereotype.. And people wonder why nobody take us seriously as a league saying we're full of thugs and bogan fans.

absolutely bloody tragedy what happened on Saturday night, no other way to describe it.

Should not have happened but it has.

And to those people having a crack at the East Geelong Footy Club, once again, take a good hard look at yourself. They are a proud club that's run by terrific people who worked bloody hard to achieve what they did this year and are now left to deal with this.. sadly this moment of madness is going to tarnish this premiership forever. The players and the club are absolutely shocked/gutted by what has happened and for people to have the nerve to say they are "being disrespectful" are just plain wrong. Now more than ever they need to support each other... staying at home would have done nobody any good at all.

Why should the rest of the group pay for one mans actions?

Things like this incident just make me wonder what the **** is wrong with society these days.

Condolences go out to the Alsop family and their friends/relatives, but I know anything I say is not going to bring him back.

And lets not forget Singleton and his family either. I am not for one second defending his actions on Saturday Night but from all reports he's a decent bloke who's had a brain snap that's going to ruin the rest of his life.

You are just a f*&king idiot. What do you want to have happen? All stay at home and feel like shit or get together & support each other through this? You forget that about 200 people watched a man die in front of their eyes Saturday night. The reason why we stayed at the club Sunday is because we didn't want to go anywhere else & have f*&kwits like you slagging the club & the players needed to rally around not only each other but the East Geelong Football Club, which is a fantastic football club.
People's lives have been ruined through this & countless others affected. Just ill-informed fools like you read a paper & come on here stir shit. Get a life you f*&king loser.
And may I also point out that it is an ALLEGATION!

And to those people having a crack at the East Geelong Footy Club, once again, take a good hard look at yourself. They are a proud club that's run by terrific people who worked bloody hard to achieve what they did this year and are now left to deal with this.. sadly this moment of madness is going to tarnish this premiership forever. The players and the club are absolutely shocked/gutted by what has happened and for people to have the nerve to say they are "being disrespectful" are just plain wrong. Now more than ever they need to support each other... staying at home would have done nobody any good at all.

Spot on. How the hell would these peanuts know what the players were at the club for.. If the club had lost the game they would be saying they were there on sunday to pay their respects. The fact they won makes people think all they cared about was the game. He was someones best mate, husband, brother, son and father. To say it's a disgrace that players were at the club on the sunday is a disgrace.
Our president was gutted, we were all there and to have those piece of shit herald sun reporters there taking photos and making us look like pigs to make a dollar is a joke. The addy is to be commended on there accuracy and factual reports though. The Sun is a disgrace.
Also, a 'celebration ' is also one of the mans life. A wake if you will. Is that disrespectful?

As for the reports, how about the fact the ambulance took over 40 minutes to show up then stood at the back of the van talking amongst one another before showing the slightest amount of urgency to the man who needed them the most. They have a lot to answer for.

So to bigrayhall, tish, gdfl4eva and hbkaus. your the most insensitive and disrespectful people that i know right now. Makes me sick that you can judge a club or a president in the way you have. Your the sort of people who would get some sort of morbid thrill out of being able to say 'oh i knew that guy, or i saw him the other day!!' Hope it makes you feel good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back