GDFL 2009 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm led to believe that R O'Toole called Corio's game off early on Sunday due to a lack of opposition? Devils can you elaborate?
Who were they playing? I am sure if a team travelled down you would still play regardless of how bad they were as anything is better than running around witches hats.

Gday Boys , Im from Coburg Districts (Div2 WRFL) i know its late notice and we might have no hope but our practice match this Saturday has been cacelled due to the council not letting us play on the oppositions ground and ours is also out of action ....

So if any clubs want a late notice praccy match this Saturday at your ground or if anyone knows of any other teams in your league or not could you please pm me and let me know ......

Thanks Guys Good luck in 09

Where has he gone too. That's there 2 big forwards gone.

Naylon is definately playing at Banno. You're right about Woodsy Bourky23 he does appear after cricket and I believe he has his cricket grandfinal this week. TMG has gone to Rokewood and has taken Biscan, Raglass and Arnell who all played majority of games in reserves. Biscan did play some very good games when he broke into the seniors and does have a lot of potential. I've heard that Banno signed a few more players last week and with Riccardi, Drake, the returning players and juniors coming through will be there abouts again. Only other player leaving that I can see on clearances is Hinchliffe going to Joeys.

I believe the Corio v Forrest game was shortened due to the weather and with Forrest being short on numbers. Corio looked quite good, line up very simular to last year with Lazarich coming in. Hard to gauge much from the practice match though with Forrest players doing it hard. To their credit with the limited numbers Forrest had they stuck at it and kicked a few goals but having said that can't imagine Stewy playing at full back during the regular season. Devils will also be there abouts again.

Thomson did get a touch up by Barwon Heads but I believe Thomson had a fair few out and are a few weeks behind on where they where last year. I'm also led to believe Barwon Heads will be an improved outfit this year.

I don't see much change with the make up of last years final five but positional changes will be more than likely. Time will tell.

By the looks of things it seems as though the GDFL will take a step down this year as most teams havent made much of an improvement, rather a lot of teams have lowered a level, Bannockburn with the big three, woods, mullane grant and naylon all gone, inverleigh losing some of their better players, bell post hill not picking up much, east and corio staying pretty stable although corio can add a year onto those already aged players. anakie belmont geelong west all likely to not get much better, north and winch are the only two teams with noticable ins, yet winch wud need a miracle to take a big enough step to make finals although they will improve, we can only hope. The only thing that may help the league out is some promising juniors coming through, huchison, schwenneson, watts from north watt, hobbs furtulla from banno, many werribee kids, hill, brumby and peel from inva, just to name a few clubs and im sure there is more. i think clubs need to start working hard to keep these kids as we have seen some stard leave the league; moreland, muir, peoples.

You don't think clubs work hard to stop these kids leaving? Of course they do. Good local players are the heart beat of country footy clubs but unfortunately some will move because of money, the challenge of a higher standard comp, a change of work/school location. They clear them so there's no bad blood and with the hope they return to the club. To the credit of most gdfl clubs they have improved the standard of the league and how it is percieved by others so not as many of the good kids leave now. A lot of focus is placed on junior development by most clubs.

Without knowing much about the recruits at some clubs the standard of the gdfl and most clubs lists will only improve this year with the addition of players the calibre of Chugg, Drake, Fopiani (if he plays), Forbes, Gread, Kelly, Leatch, Liston, McLure's, Riccardi, Tate, Venner and the juniors coming through. Of the sides who missed the finals last year I believe Belmont, North, Werribee and Winch will improve significantly but not sure enough to make the finals. Can't see many clubs going backwards. Once again only time will tell. I think it'll be a cracker of a year.

Naylon is definately playing at Banno. You're right about Woodsy Bourky23 he does appear after cricket and I believe he has his cricket grandfinal this week. TMG has gone to Rokewood and has taken Biscan, Raglass and Arnell who all played majority of games in reserves. Biscan did play some very good games when he broke into the seniors and does have a lot of potential. I've heard that Banno signed a few more players last week and with Riccardi, Drake, the returning players and juniors coming through will be there abouts again. Only other player leaving that I can see on clearances is Hinchliffe going to Joeys.

I believe the Corio v Forrest game was shortened due to the weather and with Forrest being short on numbers. Corio looked quite good, line up very simular to last year with Lazarich coming in. Hard to gauge much from the practice match though with Forrest players doing it hard. To their credit with the limited numbers Forrest had they stuck at it and kicked a few goals but having said that can't imagine Stewy playing at full back during the regular season. Devils will also be there abouts again.

Thomson did get a touch up by Barwon Heads but I believe Thomson had a fair few out and are a few weeks behind on where they where last year. I'm also led to believe Barwon Heads will be an improved outfit this year.

I don't see much change with the make up of last years final five but positional changes will be more than likely. Time will tell.
I watched Corio Forrest for a half corio looked good with alot of new players and noticebly Nicholls, Clifford, potter and fergusson not playing, in saying that Forrest were well below par and most of their team played 6 quarters, watched the 2nd half Of anakie vs north i believe Anakie will finish bottom this year no ins and lost lazzarich and berg who are there best 2 players to Corio. North did it easy although there team is exactly the same as last year their youth and entusiasm will see them improve. What im hearin East the side to beat :)

:thumbsu:
I'm led to believe that R O'Toole called Corio's game off early on Sunday due to a lack of opposition? Devils can you elaborate?

Also, Thomson were alleged to have been given a decent hiding at the hands of Barwon Heads.

As a previous post stated, maybe a slight decline in standard this year, although with cricket still being played, one could imagine sides playing below par.
Incorrect the Forrest team Coach chris carlon called it off due to the heat and some of his players suffering from heat stroke

By the looks of things it seems as though the GDFL will take a step down this year as most teams havent made much of an improvement, rather a lot of teams have lowered a level, Bannockburn with the big three, woods, mullane grant and naylon all gone, inverleigh losing some of their better players, bell post hill not picking up much, east and corio staying pretty stable although corio can add a year onto those already aged players. anakie belmont geelong west all likely to not get much better, north and winch are the only two teams with noticable ins, yet winch wud need a miracle to take a big enough step to make finals although they will improve, we can only hope. The only thing that may help the league out is some promising juniors coming through, huchison, schwenneson, watts from north watt, hobbs furtulla from banno, many werribee kids, hill, brumby and peel from inva, just to name a few clubs and im sure there is more. i think clubs need to start working hard to keep these kids as we have seen some stard leave the league; moreland, muir, peoples.
How could Winch not improve??? and who are Norths new players i know of one Troy Gread and lost ruckmen Weise North will improve but are way off!:thumbsu: Top 5 remain the same only Belmont and Inverleigh a chance to grab a spot!

Sadly, unlike an all you can eat buffet, the game has passed my broken and battered frame by. I could say the thong has been retired, but I would be lying. I know nobody wants to see it, but after a few beverages the Fat-O-Gram in me seems to take over:rolleyes:! It is also a great way to increase bar sales, although no amount of drinking could erase a sight like that from being permanently etched into your memory:D!
Yeah well mate its been some years since i played there but i still have nightmares of the red bloody thong on you while your up on the bar hahaha. Thought you would never retire old champ. Anyway good luck to the boys this year always have a soft spot for them and keep an eye on how they are going
Cheers Mate

Yeah well mate its been some years since i played there but i still have nightmares of the red bloody thong on you while your up on the bar hahaha. Thought you would never retire old champ. Anyway good luck to the boys this year always have a soft spot for them and keep an eye on how they are going
Cheers Mate

Yes, the red one was a favorite of my for a while!
If you want to follow the boys this year, jump on to www.sportingpulse.com and follow the links to the Belmont Lions official website. From there you can join our community and get regular updates of the happenings at the Den.
Hope to see you down there during the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

winch had a narrow loss to birregurra. east got beat by ballan (strange one) and inver beat warburton quite easily by all reports.

East played Buningyong not Ballan. Narrow loss with a few out and an extended bench.

Fair dinkum guys, brace yourselves for a year of umpiring to forget. They have gone backwards in a massive way. It's the worst I've witnessed in .. well, ever.

winch had a narrow loss to birregurra. east got beat by ballan (strange one) and inver beat warburton quite easily by all reports.

I guess thats good signs for Winch, Birre are suppose to have very handy side this year. Did any of the sides have players missing???

I guess thats good signs for Winch, Birre are suppose to have very handy side this year. Did any of the sides have players missing???

spoke to their coach and they were missing some. We had 6 out. They had a good midfield. kicked 8 goals to 1 in the first quarter. looking forward to friday night though. Should be a good hitout against west. a needed win would be an understatement.

Whats going on here skank, no one seems to agree with your weekend wrap up!?:confused:

Good signs for the winch boys, looing forward to hearing the results from friday nights game:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

think i should just stick to selling grog hey? might be the last of my wrap ups for a while!

any predictions for this weeks games yet?

banno have signed 3 former drysdale/forrest players. m.foot c.taylor b.wombell. all in there mid 30's. why pay good money for guys that are at there end of there football playing days when they have such good juniors. add them 2 other recruits in riccardi, drake, bliss, fisher all in there mid 30's

banno have signed 3 former drysdale/forrest players. m.foot c.taylor b.wombell. all in there mid 30's. why pay good money for guys that are at there end of there football playing days when they have such good juniors. add them 2 other recruits in riccardi, drake, bliss, fisher all in there mid 30's

correct there mate bannock always strong in juniors they shouldnt be paying these mercinares to play for 2 years when there young blokes will be there for life not a good thing reward the locals first for there hard work :thumbsu:

think i should just stick to selling grog hey? might be the last of my wrap ups for a while!

any predictions for this weeks games yet?

Tips for Round 1

Friday
GEELONG WEST v Winchelsea

Saturday
Anakie v THOMSON
Bell Post Hill v BELMONT LIONS
NORTH GEELONG v Inverleigh
EAST GEELONG v Werribee Centrals
CORIO v Bannockburn

banno have signed 3 former drysdale/forrest players. m.foot c.taylor b.wombell. all in there mid 30's. why pay good money for guys that are at there end of there football playing days when they have such good juniors. add them 2 other recruits in riccardi, drake, bliss, fisher all in there mid 30's[/quote]

correct there mate bannock always strong in juniors they shouldnt be paying these mercinares to play for 2 years when there young blokes will be there for life not a good thing reward the locals first for there hard work :thumbsu:

Stupid comments. Banno have and continue to promote and reward their juniors and give them senior experience just about more than any other club in the gdfl. Last year Hobbs, Fatulla and Watt all played multiple senior football games while eligible for U/18s and no doubt they'll be playing senior football this year also.

New signings are Foot, Taylor and Eddy not Wombell. Foot is a ruckman and the other 2 are key position players. Mercinares they're not as from my knowledge of local football Foot and Taylor have only ever played for Drysdale and Forrest and Eddy only with Drysdale. If the club doesn't have the juniors to fill those positions what are you expecting them to do? Play a junior flanker out of position or perhaps play someone clearly not up to senior football? Riccardi and Drake are very good solid on ballers and anyone that saw Bannos semi final against Thomson last year would probably agree it was an area they were smashed in.

Banno have been a strong side for many many years and the score is on the board in regards to the way they go about running their club. Youre entitled to your opinion but I'd suggest you both worry about how your own clubs operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back