GDFL Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted for a long time but spoke with a contact at Werribee today and got told of a rumoured walkout. The Butty brothers, Montebruno brothers, Salmond, Ostrowski, Confait, Ford, Bell, Robinson, Cornish, Weatherley, Bellegante, Quarrier and Grusling all senior players on the way out. Shocking news if true and as a past player of the club it's worrying to year after year see the turnover of players

Some clubs are leaving it quite late to appoint a coach, puts them right behind in regards to recruiting resigning players etc. I can't remember a time when so many coaching vacancies were up at once Corio, East, Anakie, Belmont and Bannockburn(now filled) I can see the league standard continue to slide like it has in the past 2-3 years

Seems very late to be appointing coaches doesn't it! You'd imagine sides would be announcing things in the next week or so otherwise they'll be far from prepared for next year!

I've also heard from two GFL sources to expect a raid on players from the GDFL to help clubs to stay within the points system.

Successful clubs like BPH might lose a couple of high quality players. But totally agree it's far too late to be appointing coaches, given some clubs will start preseason in about 6 weeks. Surely East has someone of quality in mind, and Corio and Anakie must be close on an announcement. Time will tell!

I've also heard from two GFL sources to expect a raid on players from the GDFL to help clubs to stay within the points system.

Successful clubs like BPH might lose a couple of high quality players. But totally agree it's far too late to be appointing coaches, given some clubs will start preseason in about 6 weeks. Surely East has someone of quality in mind, and Corio and Anakie must be close on an announcement. Time will tell!
How would recruiting GDFL player help their points?
I assume the points relate to senior games played only? Wouldn't be a lot of GDFL players, with respect, who would play GFL seniors IMO.

How would recruiting GDFL player help their points?
I assume the points relate to senior games played only? Wouldn't be a lot of GDFL players, with respect, who would play GFL seniors IMO.
Obviously the lower the grade the lower the points!!
I'm thinking the top echelon of players are more than capable of playing GFL.

Last edited:
Haven't posted for a long time but spoke with a contact at Werribee today and got told of a rumoured walkout. The Butty brothers, Montebruno brothers, Salmond, Ostrowski, Confait, Ford, Bell, Robinson, Cornish, Weatherley, Bellegante, Quarrier and Grusling all senior players on the way out. Shocking news if true and as a past player of the club it's worrying to year after year see the turnover of players

I did see the Montebruno brothers are heading to North Footscray. Werribee will struggle to recruit and retain players as the Western region have a lot more money to spend on players.

Moreland, Peel, Symes made the transition. East still without a coach. Wasn't Ricky a late appointment also?
Hardly world beaters though. How is GFL raping GDFL clubs going to help anyone? But with a salary cap/points system this was bound to happen. Still a lot better than what happens now though.

I did see the Montebruno brothers are heading to North Footscray. Werribee will struggle to recruit and retain players as the Western region have a lot more money to spend on players.

Agreed. Around 10 clubs now in the Werribee ever, and parents of under 18s not wanting to travel to and past Geelong. The coaching situation is big problem too I was told. A lot of players not having heard from the coach or club since the season finished contributing to those wanting out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan Whitney and Caleb Bacely play on ball, Whitney the better of the two, thumping left kick and hard as nails. Bacely super fit and both will fit in nice.
Beau McNamara will play half back, about 6ft with great skills. Light in body but reads the play exceptionally well. Whitney played with North Shore a few years back. Easily the pick of midfielders in GDFL.

Agreed. Around 10 clubs now in the Werribee ever, and parents of under 18s not wanting to travel to and past Geelong. The coaching situation is big problem too I was told. A lot of players not having heard from the coach or club since the season finished contributing to those wanting out

Yeah mate. Have also heard about all of this.
Very much the same names that you speak of as well as now plenty of reserves or finge/depth players calling around looking for new clubs to train at.
Dissappointing for the mainstays at the club.

Have heard varied reasons.
Guys heading back to play with mates at old club.
Players not overly happy with the coach. (Cant please them all)
A committee that works very hard but "stuck in the ages" is what Ive been told by a handful.

I dont think the money being paid in wrfl or the travel factor for under 18s should be used as an excuse.
The wrfl is a rabble. And to drive to geelong takes half hourish.
Id look more towards club culture.
I am outside looking in, but if the culture and bond is strong enough, you dont have players forever walking out.

Hopefully some good comes of it.
Gives plenty of kids the opportunity to get some games under their belt.

Good luck.

Snack time.

Obviously the lower the grade the lower the points!!
I'm thinking the top echelon of players are more than capable of playing GFL.
The league has no impact unless its state league or afl. It goes on b&f rankings etc. I suggest you check out the points system to get a better understanding of it.

Jason Tom from Leopold to play at Bannockburn, a massive coup for the club and GDFL in general. Fantastic replacement for TMG.

Not sure why Burke would return promised a job and not delivered by club,Curtis will leave aswell
The fact is he wasn't promised a job by Bannockburn, there is no way in the world a club would be in a position to offer him a position in the CFA!
He came to the Geelong himself looking for an opportunity to join.
Seriously Tigertamer????

The league has no impact unless its state league or afl. It goes on b&f rankings etc. I suggest you check out the points system to get a better understanding of it.
I was thinking about the fact that players recruited from teams within the same league have an "additional point" allocated as per the AFL Barwon website, hence the reason to recruit players from lower leagues. eg GDFL
Is this correct?

How many points would Tom be worth coming from GFL?

BANNOCKBURN has wasted no time in finding a replacement for star forward Tom Mullane-Grant after signing Leopold spearhead Jason Tom.

How many points would Tom be worth coming from GFL?

BANNOCKBURN has wasted no time in finding a replacement for star forward Tom Mullane-Grant after signing Leopold spearhead Jason Tom.
He will kick 120 goals just like he did at ammos

I was thinking about the fact that players recruited from teams within the same league have an "additional point" allocated as per the AFL Barwon website, hence the reason to recruit players from lower leagues. eg GDFL
Is this correct?

It depends on if your changed clubs within 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back