GDFL Geelong and District Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word is Thomson are dead set filthy on last year and have had unprecedented numbers at training.Had a squizz at training last Monday night and for December, looked very sharp.
12 continual years in the finals and will be very tough in '08.Forward line structure of Maheras, McLeod's (x 2), Gardiner (yes, we all forget Timmy missed 2/3rd's of 07), and Wally.Wallace is a fantastic fella, let alone coach and to quote his newspaper interview "I'm not here to stuff around"

i think you will find that jackson mcleod will be at falcons for most of the year and wont play as many games as we all think, not sure on brent tho but he can play the kid.

I hear harris has pulled the pin at corio??? Not happy about contract from last year??? His mate aitken might not be to far behind him in leaving????? Any truth out there but i guess the devils have picked up well enough to cover thoses losses.
Ive been told sunshine in the WRFL could be were there headed next year??? Anyone confirm or deny or is this another rumor going around?
Corio had meet the coach friday night and had 50 plus there, massive numbers for the meet the coach night and harris isnt playing not cause of contract but work commitments if he plays it will be at corio but he lives in melbourne and works alot of shift work. Aitkin is definately playing at corio he has never played senior finals footy so theres no chance he will miss the oppurtunity to play in what will be the best side corio has ever put on the park from what ive herd the reserves side would probably beat the bottom half of the senior ladder next year aswell. The devils for my mind seniors and reserves in 08

Corio had meet the coach friday night and had 50 plus there, massive numbers for the meet the coach night and harris isnt playing not cause of contract but work commitments if he plays it will be at corio but he lives in melbourne and works alot of shift work. Aitkin is definately playing at corio he has never played senior finals footy so theres no chance he will miss the oppurtunity to play in what will be the best side corio has ever put on the park from what ive herd the reserves side would probably beat the bottom half of the senior ladder next year aswell. The devils for my mind seniors and reserves in 08

I agree Buddah, with the squad they've got they are odds on. They'll beat Thomson or East in the grand final.

A fairly old Fwd line there Thommy. Sides like East, who move the footy quickly from defence, will trouble them, if Thomson's mid's don't deliver the ball properly.
Heard Tom Harriot is going O/S for majority of the preseason, and possibily the start of 08. With his recent injuries, not an ideal prep.
u can throw a fella in there aswell 19th man by the name of brent hood he must be getting on in age (25yrsold). and as for harriot, been there every night training the house down. he's going on a holiday early 08, not on a 2 year working visa

A mate of mine drove past their ground @ about 7pm, and only saw a dozen or so blokes with footballs. Unless they were out for a road run?

As for Aitken, he has trained once thus far, and from all reports, pulled up terrible. The exact reason for his early departure last season. Will be a big effort for him to get his body right, but is a good player when fit.

Other than that, your quite right. Should everyone stay on the park, will be thereabouts come season's end.

u can throw a fella in there aswell 19th man by the name of brent hood he must be getting on in age (25yrsold). and as for harriot, been there every night training the house down. he's going on a holiday early 08, not on a 2 year working visa

Now, now, no need for sarcasim. Was just stating the obvious.
Maheras-(app 35), Gardiner-(33app), Wallace-(31-32app), Harriot-(app 31).
Last time I played, we only had 6 forwards. Include Babb and Mcleod and 3/4's of your fwd line are well into their twilight years!

Just thought at his age/injuries, to miss a month or two could be a problem.

A mate of mine drove past their ground @ about 7pm, and only saw a dozen or so blokes with footballs. Unless they were out for a road run?

As for Aitken, he has trained once thus far, and from all reports, pulled up terrible. The exact reason for his early departure last season. Will be a big effort for him to get his body right, but is a good player when fit.

Other than that, your quite right. Should everyone stay on the park, will be thereabouts come season's end.

They trained from 5.30 till 6.30 i popped in for a quick beer around 7 and the guys out there were just havin a bit of kick to kick there was bout 40 in social rooms. Aitkin dont know thought he was 100% comitted, apparently theres a bit of doubt now. I know Bazza and Ricky really wont him to play for one more year so hopefully they can get him fired up.

Now, now, no need for sarcasim. Was just stating the obvious.
Last time I played, we only had 6 forwards. Include Babb and Mcleod and 3/4's of your fwd line are well into their twilight years!

those 4 are into there twilight years but in saying that maheras and wallace will definately take the 2 best defenders in any side which will then free up blokes like harriot, gardiner, mcleod (75 goals in 07) and brent hood who would be the best crumber in the comp to take the lesser likes. still a potent forward line. you agree?

This forum is fast becoming a chat room for Thomson. What about the other clubs? in particular GWCFC and Anakie? haven"t heard anything about these clubs, has the internet not reached them yet?

Seems the approach by Queenscliff a few months ago to join the GDFL has gone through with very little discussion. What are the thoughts about this?
I for one think the GDFL have missed a chance to apply the squeeze on the BFL by not taking Queenscliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This forum is fast becoming a chat room for Thomson. What about the other clubs? in particular GWCFC and Anakie? haven"t heard anything about these clubs, has the internet not reached them yet?

who honestly cares about geelong west cheetahs, there only decent player they have produced is luke forstar

thats coz thomson is the place to be. couldnt give a fat rats about west but the boys from fairy park are a good bunch. they have the best hamburgers in geelong footy. mmm tasty!!!

I've been told that Blue West have had over 50 at training each night, have lost no one and have picked up a couple of players from the bush along with some handy GFL types and so more to come after Xmas

I've been told that Blue West have had over 50 at training each night, have lost no one and have picked up a couple of players from the bush along with some handy GFL types and so more to come after Xmas

they need a heap of gfl players not a few unfortunately they will be down the bottom 5 again

Anakie did have internet but after paying out $70,000 last 2 years and not making finals everyone has had to have internet cut off to try to raise more money for 08 season. they would have to be the most disappointed club over the past 2 years theve promised so much and deliverd nothing.

I agree Buddah, with the squad they've got they are odds on. They'll beat Thomson or East in the grand final.
Lets get a bit carried away. Agree they have picked up 2 confirmed A graders in O'toole and Stewart and a potential A grader in Nicholls (I say potential as injuries and other things might hold him back) but the rest (manning, ferguson) are good players not superstars and given where you finished last year you have a bit of catching up to do.

Lets have a look at the lists in Feb when clearances are flowing and everyones cards on the table because at the moment there are a couple of clubs keeping very quiet about recruiting programs and some of the players that might go across may suprise in regard to the quality.

There seems to be a lot of comments on this thread about guys in there 30's being well past it and seemingly just about ready for retirement homes.

Although the quality of the GDFL has improved heaps in the last few years it is still a district league. 30 year olds still play great footy and contribute in all leagues including the GFL and AFL. They're not just in the GDFL. I agree their best footy may be behind them and they do have a greater risk of injuries however as long as these guys play at a good level, the quality young locals ready for senior footy aren't being held back in the seconds and the club has a good mix of youth that can learn from these experienced guys, I can't see a problem.

I think the main thing is that you have to have a good mix of youth with experience. Just my opinion.

those 4 are into there twilight years but in saying that maheras and wallace will definately take the 2 best defenders in any side which will then free up blokes like harriot, gardiner, mcleod (75 goals in 07) and brent hood who would be the best crumber in the comp to take the lesser likes. still a potent forward line. you agree?

I do agree, but just raised the question on age. As we all know, it does't get any easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back