Geelong are cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Scarlett a F/S as well? You realise that Selwood and Hawkins were in the same draft right. They were both worth first rounders. As I said, handy when you get that. I'm not saying anything. However people get the whinge out when Sydney do it..
I've never heard anyone whinge about Syd getting F/S's, and by all reports, you should get a good one this year in Dunkley ?
Mills (not FS) on the other hand is a bit hard to swallow.

Sydney were embarrassed by GWS in RD.1 last year.
Hawks were beaten by the Cats in RD.1 last year.

What does this mean?

It's too early to make judgement.

We beat Brisbane in Round 1 last year.

Yes the dominant Geelong era is likely over. But they will still probably make the top 6. There is still a heap of talent in that team.

They came up against a pretty special team that was essentially at full strength in red hot form.

Forgot about Scarlett.

Either way - none of Ablett Jr, Tomahawk or Scarlett were rated top 5 of the draftees at the time. It was the recruiters that were able to snaffle players like Enright, Chapman and Johnson late in the draft that were the real stars.

Also worth remembering we got such talents as Woolnough, Callan, Blake, Nablett and a few others from F/S drafting.

I've never heard anyone whinge about Syd getting F/S's, and by all reports, you should get a good one this year in Dunkley ?
Mills (not FS) on the other hand is a bit hard to swallow.

Decent prospect yes (Dunkley)...and Mills is one player. Whether he is drafted 1 or 100 who knows what he'll be. Great potential, on the positive Ed's whinge will be glorious.

I recall Sydney lost to GWS by five goals in Round 1 last year.

Not convinced this game means any more than that in terms of Geelong's prospects.

Well yes, but jeez it is handy when you get a few cheapies thrown in, that is all I am saying. Geelong has been the best with later picks period, although recruiting across the board is better now. Sydney got Parker, Hannerberry, etc with late picks, in fact our first round drafting has been pathetic.

I don't think they're 'cheapies' if the other clubs didn't think that highly of them either. The greatest player in the past few years (who may end up GOAT) was taken rather uncontroversially by Geelong in the third round - I can't remember anyone at the time saying that he was going to be even more special than his dad.

Also worth remembering we got such talents as Woolnough, Callan, Blake, Nablett and a few others from F/S drafting.

Yep, people forget that Geelong had a fair few F/S busts too - but in fairness, there was a lot and Blake and Nathan Ablett at least contributed for a little while. Kane Tenace springs to mind, too, as a highly rated top 10 that was very average and didn't contribute at all to Geelong's success.

I don't think they're 'cheapies' if the other clubs didn't think that highly of them either. The greatest player in the past few years (who may end up GOAT) was taken rather uncontroversially by Geelong in the third round - I can't remember anyone at the time saying that he was going to be even more special than his dad.

Then there should be no whinging when other clubs get a few cheap ones. No issue Geelong getting a few F/S's, but they better not whinge when others get a prospect or two, F/S or not. Hawkins was rated the best prospect in the draft for crying out loud...similar to Mills (although I'm not convinced, it is more Ed being Ed)

Then there should be no whinging when other clubs get a few cheap ones. No issue Geelong getting a few F/S's, but they better not whinge when others get a prospect or two, F/S or not. Hawkins was rated the best prospect in the draft for crying out loud...similar to Mills (although I'm not convinced, it is more Ed being Ed)

Hawkins was the one that was a steal, so the rules were changed.

Sydney have the same access to F/S as every other club. They just want extra advantages via the academy because Sydney are culturally used to having a leg up on the other clubs.

Hawkins was the one that was a steal, so the rules were changed.

Sydney have the same access to F/S as every other club. They just want extra advantages via the academy because Sydney are culturally used to having a leg up on the other clubs.

Yes, but the point stands I don't want to hear that Geelong is onside with these rule changes, as you were the ones that benefited the most...although Collingwood have gone close too.

Sydney are happy to pay for their academy selections, in fact we overpaid for 1 last season. We might be less annoyed had it being the AFL pumping millions into the program.

The era's been over for 4 years now, so I wish everyone would give that a rest. Hawthorn reminded me of the Cats circa 08/09 (H&A) where they had the players and the self-belief to dispatch with sides at ease. I expect they'll finish top of the ladder this season, and thrash many sides. I don't think Geelong are a top 4 team this year mainly due to our midfield is not a top 4 midfield. I think Geelong will finish in the eight, because they're still good enough to match it with the middle and lower teams. I'm not going to panic after a round one game against the best team in the land at the moment. Geelong isn't the best team, and hasn't been for years.

What I was trying to say is geelong doesn't have any holes, just a bit thin through the midfield, but theres plenty of candidates already there to fix that through improvement. Taylor looks like he could go on forever. The twin towers will terrorise some teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't Scarlett a F/S as well? You realise that Selwood and Hawkins were in the same draft right. They were both worth first rounders. As I said, handy when you get that. I'm not saying anything. However people get the whinge out when Sydney do it..

Scarlett was a F/S, but in his draft year he wouldn't have even been a top 20 pick. Same goes for Gary jnr. Hawkins is the only F/S we picked up that in his draft year was considered a top 10 pick. It was after this (and due to much whining from other clubs) that the F/S rules were changed again to the bidding system. Funny thing is, those who complained the loudest about the luck Geelong had with F/S selections ended up shooting themselves in the foot as well. Karma. Geelong picked several F/S players that ended up being duds too. But this has been discussed so much over the years it amazes me that people still carry this false belief about Geelongs F/S selections in the early naughties.

LOL "I'm not saying anything". You said enough. You'd be one of those people who prefaces a snipe at someone by saying "with all respect" or "I don't want to put you down but....."

Yes, but the point stands I don't want to hear that Geelong is onside with these rule changes, as you were the ones that benefited the most...although Collingwood have gone close too.

Sydney are happy to pay for their academy selections, in fact we overpaid for 1 last season. We might be less annoyed had it being the AFL pumping millions into the program.

I am happy with Sydney having an academy system and getting the benefit of players from it. So long as Geelong can have an academy down our way and get the same benefit. Fair is fair right?

I am happy with Sydney having an academy system and getting the benefit of players from it. So long as Geelong can have an academy down our way and get the same benefit. Fair is fair right?

Wouldn't have one single issue with it so long as you fund it, like Sydney does.

Wouldn't have one single issue with it so long as you fund it, like Sydney does.
So you would be happy for Collingwood to fund the AFL's biggest and most expensive academy for it's own use? I'm sure Ed would stop complaining if that got the go ahead. Collingwood need a way to spend some of their profits now that their FD spending is taxed.

Yep, put a fork in us, cos we're done.

Instead of being delusional and wishing for premierships, my goal for the next couple of years is to just get as many wins as possible, and hopefully win a final or two.

It's going to be enjoyable watching Cockatoo develop. He had a stinker yesterday, but it was a pretty tough game to debut in. Burgoyne gave him a real lesson, a good education for Cocky.

I like the idea of each club being able to get first picks of local players, it would also lead to better club loyalty too.

There are obvious problems with it though, as it would favour clubs like Geelong over the more geographically concentrated Melbourne clubs. (eg if it existed, Cats could have had Dangerfield, Boak, Hodge, Jonathan Brown, Ben Cousins etc).

Well yes to a degree but it does help when you have a zillion F/S selections for the basement price. People while about Sydney...at least we paid a first rounder! Geelong got Hawkins for a pack of used peanuts!
Fair enough, although other clubs may not have persisted with Hawkins like Geelong did. He was an absolute shocker for a few years, I cringed every time he was selected in the team lol. Then magically in the 2011 finals he came of age and proved me - and a lot of other doubters - wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back