Geelong are cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watched every game on the weekend you wouldn't think Geelong are on the slide.

Hawthorn just have an unfair advantage because they are running 2 books for their player payments, or their players (including recruits) are taking pay cuts to play for them. The AFL do need to look at the salary cap because it obviously doesn't work. Hawthorn could stay at the top forever if players just say I'll take a pay cut and move there as a free agent. It's just stupid.

You dont think freeing up buddys salary helped ?

I respect the Danger, but please, don't get silly about it. Sometimes you need to pay more than market rates for what you need in a side, but anything close to $1 million for a one-in-a-dozen midfielder? Leave that insanity to others.
Every team will have at least 1 player on more than $1m pa by the time the next CBA takes hold.

burning-question-scrape-burnt-toast-390x285.jpg
The Cats are Toast!

Every team will have at least 1 player on more than $1m pa by the time the next CBA takes hold.
For a moment I'll grant that your proposition is true. Does that mean that our $1 million guy should be a one-in-a-dozen midfielder? Why not splash this magic money upon something a bit harder to come by, like a key position plater?

They won't be the first and the certainly won't be the last to be thrashed by Hawthorn. That said it does seem Kelly, Enright and especially Bartel have gone a season too long.

thread should have been ended here. This post sums it up perfectly. These three will retire at seasons end and then they begin to rebuild with Dangerfield and Selwood

For a moment I'll grant that your proposition is true. Does that mean that our $1 million guy should be a one-in-a-dozen midfielder? Why not splash this magic money upon something a bit harder to come by, like a key position plater?
Or a key position player even...

thread should have been ended here. This post sums it up perfectly. These three will retire at seasons end and then they begin to rebuild with Dangerfield and Selwood

Yes, plus Duncan, Lang, Cockatoo, etc. They have enough talent coming through.

If you watched every game on the weekend you wouldn't think Geelong are on the slide.

Hawthorn just have an unfair advantage because they are running 2 books for their player payments, or their players (including recruits) are taking pay cuts to play for them. The AFL do need to look at the salary cap because it obviously doesn't work. Hawthorn could stay at the top forever if players just say I'll take a pay cut and move there as a free agent. It's just stupid.

This is the strangest post I've seen for a while.

The AFL should look into teams who have players willing to take pay cuts to play together?
:drunk:

Psst franklin ellis young ;)

Sure, can we find one? All the top dozen or so mids will be on $1m in a few years. We would have 41m spare in the cap before a cap incease in even factored into the equation.

We'd have Cloke, Pendlebury and that's it for top end salaries. Reid if fit would be deserving but there are serious doubts he can get back to full fitness and his best. After that we either over pay players in the middle rungs of the list or we pay what is required to get a genuine match winner. what we need is pace and skill in the midfield and that's what Dangerfield has. Whether he'd leave and then come to Collingwood is another matter but he's worth a serious shot.

Sure, can we find one? All the top dozen or so mids will be on $1m in a few years. We would have 41m spare in the cap before a cap incease in even factored into the equation.

We'd have Cloke, Pendlebury and that's it for top end salaries. Reid if fit would be deserving but there are serious doubts he can get back to full fitness and his best. After that we either over pay players in the middle rungs of the list or we pay what is required to get a genuine match winner. what we need is pace and skill in the midfield and that's what Dangerfield has. Whether he'd leave and then come to Collingwood is another matter but he's worth a serious shot.
It's hard not to disagree with you without sounding like I'm dissing Danger. I really like him as a player, and if he landed on our list at considerably less than $1 million then I'd be rather happy about it. However, I really don't think that he is a 'serious match winner'. He's got some dash, and he's hard enough at it, and he is a quality midfielder, but I just don't think that it's worth putting a squeeze on our salary cap for a guy who (in my opinion) isn't even the best mid in his own team. But I don't think I'm going to sway you from your opinion, so let us agree to disagree and let us stop clogging up this thread with our distractions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As if Dangerfield is going to come and get coached by Buckley....... There is leaving...there is insanity and the latter is what that decision would be. I actually rate Collingwood's list but the coaching leaves a lot to be desired. Danger either stays in Adelaide OR he goes to Geelong, won't be another option. My view is that he might stay actually.

It was a bit sad watching that game, such a proud club Geelong to be so utterly humiliated. They do have some good kids coming through but the drop off from their guns is very marked, easy to play them a year to long. The Bulldogs found that out in 2011.

The young foot soldiers are there, Cockatoo will be a gun, but a hard first game? To get the top talent you need to drop down the ladder to build a new midfield of elite players. Good luck for the rest of the year I see them coming between 8 - 10.

They were thumped by 110 points last year and still made top 4.

Their 2007 premiership side (which as you know was the start of a triple premiership winning team and a slightly unlucky 2008 runners-up) was built without a single top 5 pick.

Geelong proves you do not need to 'bottom out' to build a truly great team.

Their 2007 premiership side (which as you know was the start of a triple premiership winning team and a slightly unlucky 2008 runners-up) was built without a single top 5 pick.

Well yes to a degree but it does help when you have a zillion F/S selections for the basement price. People while about Sydney...at least we paid a first rounder! Geelong got Hawkins for a pack of used peanuts!

No top picks but heaps of father/son selections which happens once in a generation.
While I agree that you don't have to bottom out completely, it can help you immensely if you know what you're doing, ie Hawthorn

Well yes to a degree but it does help when you have a zillion F/S selections for the basement price. People while about Sydney...at least we paid a first rounder! Geelong got Hawkins for a pack of used peanuts!

Leaving aside the debate over how Geelong acquired Tomahawk - their highest pick in that 2007 side was Joel Selwood, at #7. The only other F/S that was part of their core of key players was Ablett Jr, but at the time of his drafting no-one rated him that highly as proved by the pick Geelong used on him.

Geelong are as cooked as this guy. Marvelous recovery powers

View attachment 122112

As i recall this guy is well and truly cooked in about an hr or so from the time this pic is taken.

In seriousness i think Geelong will fall somewhere between 5-10 this year. I'll have to see another game or two from them against some other sides to get some more perspective. I do think their forward line is quite strong but their midfield doesn't look like it will match up against the better midfields too well. I still expect them to be capable of winning a lot of close ones with their experienced players so i'm leaning towards them scraping into the finals still this year.

Leaving aside the debate over how Geelong acquired Tomahawk - their highest pick in that 2007 side was Joel Selwood, at #7. The only other F/S that was part of their core of key players was Ablett Jr, but at the time of his drafting no-one rated him that highly as proved by the pick Geelong used on him.

Wasn't Scarlett a F/S as well? You realise that Selwood and Hawkins were in the same draft right. They were both worth first rounders. As I said, handy when you get that. I'm not saying anything. However people get the whinge out when Sydney do it..

Forgot about Scarlett.

Either way - none of Ablett Jr, Tomahawk or Scarlett were rated top 5 of the draftees at the time. It was the recruiters that were able to snaffle players like Enright, Chapman and Johnson late in the draft that were the real stars.

The era's been over for 4 years now, so I wish everyone would give that a rest. Hawthorn reminded me of the Cats circa 08/09 (H&A) where they had the players and the self-belief to dispatch with sides at ease. I expect they'll finish top of the ladder this season, and thrash many sides. I don't think Geelong are a top 4 team this year mainly due to our midfield is not a top 4 midfield. I think Geelong will finish in the eight, because they're still good enough to match it with the middle and lower teams. I'm not going to panic after a round one game against the best team in the land at the moment. Geelong isn't the best team, and hasn't been for years.

Forgot about Scarlett.

Either way - none of Ablett Jr, Tomahawk or Scarlett were rated top 5 of the draftees at the time. It was the recruiters that were able to snaffle players like Enright, Chapman and Johnson late in the draft that were the real stars.

Well yes, but jeez it is handy when you get a few cheapies thrown in, that is all I am saying. Geelong has been the best with later picks period, although recruiting across the board is better now. Sydney got Parker, Hannerberry, etc with late picks, in fact our first round drafting has been pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back