Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Dempsey, Holmes and Bruhn in the 22 under 22 squad.
Spot on. People on BF talk a lot of crap. Don't forget to add SDK.

Bruhn will be top 10 in the next 2 years.

Spot on. People on BF talk a lot of crap. Don't forget to add SDK.

Bruhn will be top 10 in the next 2 years.

We had a few poor years recruiting from 2012-2015. Then Kelly and Clark left despite being good picks in 2017-18. So 2016 and our trading was the only real saving grace for a while there.

But since the 2019 draft we're starting to build a pretty nice young group with there being high hopes for all of SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, O Henry, Neale, Conway, Clark, Humphries and O'Sullivan. Then obviously plenty of more speculative types that probably won't make it.

We've got a big challenge to cover our retiring stars but there's at least the guts of a competitive team developing.

It is a 40- player squad at this stage, in fairness. Though I'd be pretty surprised if Holmes and Dempsey (at least) don't make the final team and Lawson's probably a bit unlucky to miss.
Didn't play enough games unfortunately.

If he plays most of 2025 at a similar level he'll likely make it next year.

It is a 40- player squad at this stage, in fairness. Though I'd be pretty surprised if Holmes and Dempsey (at least) don't make the final team and Lawson's probably a bit unlucky to miss.
Lol

Nah they should all be in the team with Hawkins

Remember there has to be 5 Geelong players makes no difference which 5

That's the rising star. Different rules there.

Lawson will still be eligible for this side next year, having turned 22 in April.

Says otherwise here (unless the age requirements changed this year), though on a closer look you're right and he doesn't meet the games in 24 criteria.

To be eligible for selection, players must be aged 22 and under for the entirety of the season (including Grand Final day – September 30) and have played a minimum of 12 games throughout the 2023 season.

Says otherwise here (unless the age requirements changed this year), though on a closer look you're right and he doesn't meet the games in 24 criteria.

Humphries is 22 next year, making him eligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See my post above - says they have to be under 22 for the entire season (through to the grand final), at least by the 2023 criteria (unless it's changed, or that info from the AFLPA site is incorrect).
Yes, 22 and under.

It's why Bruhn, Gulden, Holmes, Treacy etc can still be selected, despite turning 22 within this season. That's what the side is all about.

For instance, SDK was 22 earlier this year, but turned 23 during the season - thus making him ineligible.

Lol

One's probably favourite for our B&F as it stands, one's paying $1.15 for the Rising Star this year.

I know the cellar dwellers will always dominate these announcements, given how much exposure teams like North Melbourne and Richmond have been able to give to their next generation, but for a team that's likely to finish on at least 15 wins and somewhere around 3-6 on the ladder after the H&A, it's not too shabby.

Lol

What we do know is that there'll be 0 players from the 18th placed Richmond side. The AFLPA couldn't manage to squeeze even a single player in to the squad. :sadv1:

What we do know is that there'll be 0 players from the 18th placed Richmond side. The AFLPA couldn't manage to squeeze even a single player in to the squad. :sadv1:
SHocking rang Laura Kane and said NO TIGERS. Amirite smasha

Not a concern for them. They are backing in experienced players to win now.

I haven’t checked the ladder, but can only assume it’s been a successful strategy.

One's probably favourite for our B&F as it stands, one's paying $1.15 for the Rising Star this year.

I know the cellar dwellers will always dominate these announcements, given how much exposure teams like North Melbourne and Richmond have been able to give to their next generation, but for a team that's likely to finish on at least 15 wins and somewhere around 3-6 on the ladder after the H&A, it's not too shabby.
Hawkins should be aa captain, deserves just as much as last time

Having multiple players in this list AND being a potential contender is a fantastic place to be in.

As an aside, look at Freo - 4 guys on this list, all talls (notoriously the ones who take the longest to develop), while still being very competitive and possibly a contender in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back