Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Have some fries for your salt.

Dow is looking okay, don't sweat.
Oh Meow Meow don’t worry your little cotton socks my post was completely in jest no need to get snarky

These were players Geelong have helped develop and improve their game. The narrative is the team has solely relied on players on their career "death beds": Hawkins, Stanley, Tuohy, Cam Guthrie, Duncan, Dangerfield, Bews etc. As they can't develop any young players.

SDK and J.Henry also got the job done without fuss. Mannagh - essentially a mature age rookie - bobbed up. The Cats are finding some alternatives to Dad's Army to get them through games.

I think Falcon… I mean Cleansweep… I mean strongandbald… I mean Carboot was confusing this thread with the Richmond youth v Geelong youth thread.

In most of your wins this year, dad's army clearly has been the difference.

Getting the job done against North Melbourne means little. The Bulldogs smashed your youth all across the ground last week at Kardinia Park.

In most of your wins this year, dad's army clearly has been the difference.

Getting the job done against North Melbourne means little. The Bulldogs smashed your youth all across the ground last week at Kardinia Park.
Except that's not true.

Stanley, Hawkins, Cam Guthrie and Bews have been complete non factors this season.

Duncan, Tuohy, Blicavs and Rohan have been just okay (sometimes terrible) - fairly peripheral role players now.

Dangerfield is a burst player only who misses half the games and from the rest has a few good matches, a few invisible ones.

Cameron and Stewart by and large are still strong performers, even if the former has been erratic for 2 months now.

This is "Dad's Army being the difference" in your view? Try engaging your brain perhaps.

If you care to look at the coaches votes, then

-Holmes/Dempsey/Miers/Stengle/Zuthrie/O.Henry/Bruhn/Bowes/Mannagh/Close/SDK

have significantly out performed

-Duncan/Tuohy/Blicavs/Rohan/Dangerfield/Hawkins/Stanley/C.Guthrie/Bews

Stewart and Cameron are two veterans who have been prominent - that's it.

Last edited:
What are you talking about?
We haven't topped up with mature aged players since 2020.
All the talk is saying Geelong will be trading in Bailey Smith this coming trade period. That will cost a first rounder + a bit extra. That is a commitment to the short-term.

All the talk is saying Geelong will be trading in Bailey Smith this coming trade period. That will cost a first rounder + a bit extra. That is a commitment to the short-term.
Yep, getting a 24 year old should only have an effect for season 2025. Look at all of the Geelong players whose careers end when they are about 25 years old. There's certainly none going around in their 30s. Isn't Smith getting close to retirement age like Isaac Smith when we picked him up?

He's 24 at the start of next year, so not exactly old.
It's not like he's a Jack Steven or Shaun Higgins type.
It's still giving up a first round youth prospect for a mid-aged player who can't kick and is coming off a torn ACL. To me, that means Geelong are still trying to capitalize on their older contingent of players.

Geelong in 2024 remind me of Hawthorn in 2018; an aging team that got on a good run, but will ultimately misunderstand the short-term potential of their list.

Why someone would actually get annoyed when another club's young players show some good signs and the "new crop of leaders" start stepping up - I'll never know. To obsess over it and need to diminish it in such ferocity is a hilariously transparent indicator of how much that club triggers that person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong in 2024 remind me of Hawthorn in 2018; an aging team that got on a good run, but will ultimately misunderstand the short-term potential of their list.
Also kinda like Richmond selling the farm for Hopper and Tarranto on fat 7-year deals you could say, Lunchy?

Again, you have the gall to say "Try engaging your brain perhaps." and then cry when someone bites back. You are simply a hypocrite.

I don't know or care who you think I am. Clearly I am not the only person to correctly identify you as an unintelligent poster.
Yep, here we are crying instead of ridiculing yet another of your fresh accounts sad attempts to pot shot Geelong in these threads. You definitely aren't a laughing stock. Keep up the good work!

Why someone would actually get annoyed when another club's young players show some good signs and the "new crop of leaders" start stepping up - I'll never know. To obsess over it and need to diminish it in such ferocity is a hilariously transparent indicator of how much that club triggers that person.
It sounds like you're the one getting annoyed over losing an argument.

I never denied Geelong have some promising young players. That being said, their youth is still amongst the worst in the AFL.

My arguments stand.
Geelong have worse youth than Hawthorn. The poll in the other thread supports this notion.
You are unhappy that I am not mindlessly gushing over your contingent of youth, and as a result, accusing me of being an alias of some Geelong-hater, and incorrectly claiming all my posts have been hating on your club. Again, at this point, one can very safely conclude you're unintelligent.
Hawthorn

It's still giving up a first round youth prospect for a mid-aged player who can't kick and is coming off a torn ACL. To me, that means Geelong are still trying to capitalize on their older contingent of players.

We could trade for a top 10 pick again, like we did in 2022 while managing to bring in players from other clubs on the cheap.
I'm not fussed whether or not we get Bailey Smith anyway, a bit like Darcy Parish last year when people were linking us to him.

We could trade for a top 10 pick again, like we did in 2022 while managing to bring in players from other clubs on the cheap.
I'm not fussed whether or not we get Bailey Smith anyway, a bit like Darcy Parish last year when people were linking us to him.
There'd be some upset loser clubs with all their first round picks and Dempsey wins RS as a rookie draft pick

Jack Bowes was a salary dump from a desperate club. It would be very naive to think you can trivially replicate that kind of trade again.

Bailey Smith will go to Geelong this trade period, and your club will take no first round picks to the draft. That is a short term commitment, reminiscent of Hawthorn's trade for Chad Windgard in 2018 following a top 4 finish.
Hawthorn

Sorry just popped in to say:

1. The thread isn’t about other team’s youth, it’s about whether Geelong can develop youth. We can. We have been doing it for two decades and we are still doing it now. Holmes, Dempsey, Humphries, Ollie Henry, Stengle, Zac Guthrie, De Koning, Miers, Close, Neale in his last handful of games, these are all current players who are either young or have been developed at the club as youth, who are entrenched in the side and who are leading the way for us. Players who’ve come in from elsewhere in the last two years like Bruhn and Bowes have taken a while to find their feet and have done so now and are making good contributions. Ollie Henry obviously came from the Pies but was still 18 and has come on in leaps and bounds basically from the moment he started with us.
It’s not an argument and never has been. We develop youth sensationally, especially considering it’s rarely from the top end of the draft. Anyone arguing otherwise is a pillock.

2. Who cares if our youth doesn’t match Hawthorn’s. Why would it? They have been at or near the bottom end of the ladder for 6-7 years, stocking up on good young players and as tends to be the way in draft-based sports, if you do it wisely which Hawthorn tend to do as one of the best run clubs in Australia over the last half a century, you will build a good group of young talent. So yeah good for them, they probably do have more young talent than us. I have no problem saying it. Who cares. It didn’t help them beat us two weeks ago or three months ago, and it remains to be seen if it will win them anything. St Kilda 20 years ago had a raft of great talent that everyone said should take them to success. When the time came, it didn’t. It doesn’t always work because talent alone doesn’t win you anything. Hell, North Melbourne has more talented youth than we do.

3. ‘Take out all the senior players and Geelong wouldn’t win these games.’ Well colour me shocked. A hardened, finals experienced team who won the flag two years ago that has the stereotypical mix of youth and experience would not be as strong if you removed one of those two key components. Of course we wouldn’t. Two of our best players are very experienced - Cameron and Stewart. We still rely a lot on Dangerfield when he is in the side. Duncan, Blicavs and Tuohy give us stability. But they aren’t the be all and end all and none of those last three (especially Tuohy) are anywhere near our most important players. Cameron, Stewart, Holmes, Zac Guthrie, Stengle would be our five best and probably most important players week to week, Dangerfield when 100 per cent fit would make it six.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back