Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Still in awe from last Thursday night.

Some late observations after watching game again -

Us -

• Stanley’s ruck technique- much more physical, at the body. Set the tone for the mids
  • love the way Danger, Mannagh, Bruhn , Atkins etc hitting the contest at speed, with clean hands and great vision on exit
  • love the big grounds and want to use the width, but to generate movement, not for static passing. Hardly any switching sides of the ground was needed. Backing Holmes and runners to run and give opposition no chance to set up a wall
  • great spreading forward, with emphasis on quick chains. Almost no bombs to deep forward.
  • forward entries with directed, low kicks with hardly any hang time and little time for defenders to set up
  • Neale playing as a linking, tall half forward
Game style is possible due to having a bunch of smart, quick minded players willing to back their skills. Mannagh, Humphries and Dempsey have been huge additions.
Huge kudos to Scott and the team for setting and executing the style for the whole game.

Them
  • wonder if they had a plan for Stewart and were thrown when he didn’t play. Also didn’t appear prepared for Neale playing high up ground
  • really shell shocked with Geelong’s style. Really surprised that they didn’t try to slow down the game and take it up to Geelong on the contests.
Going to be hard to recover mentally from that, particularly against a super confident, nothing to lose Hawks.

Giants or Brisbane will be infinitely more physical and will adjust better.

Two more games like last Thursday, please.

Last edited:
Still in awe from last Thursday night.

Some late observations after watching game again -

Us -

• Stanley’s ruck technique- much more physical, at the body. Set the tone for the mids
  • love the way Danger, Mannagh, Bruhn , Atkins etc hitting the contest at speed, with clean hands and great vision on exit
  • love the big grounds and want to use the width, but to generate movement, not for static passing. Hardly any switching sides of the ground was needed. Backing Holmes and runners to run and give opposition no chance to set up a wall
  • great spreading forward, with emphasis on quick chains. Almost no bombs to deep forward.
  • forward entries with directed, low kicks with hardly any hang time and little time for defenders to set up
  • Neale playing as a linking, tall half forward
Game style is possible due to having a bunch of smart, quick minded players willing to back their skills. Mannagh, Humphries and Dempsey have been huge additions.
Huge kudos to Scott and the team for setting and executing the style for the whole game.

Them
  • wonder if they had a plan for Stewart and were thrown when he didn’t play. Also didn’t appear prepared for Neale playing high up ground
  • really shell shocked with Geelong’s style. Really surprised that they didn’t try to slow down the game and take it up to Geelong on the contests.
Going to be hard to recover mentally from that, particularly against a super confident, nothing to lose Hawks.

Giants or Brisbane will be infinitely more physical and will adjust better.

Two more games like last Thursday, please.
I'm only up the to the third on my rewatch and one thing that I didn't notice at the ground is how many good decisions and disposals Bruhn made, especially when the heat was on in the first.

I'm only up the to the third on my rewatch and one thing that I didn't notice at the ground is how many good decisions and disposals Bruhn made, especially when the heat was on in the first.

Everything was so clean - decision making, execution, there was none of the QF wobbles we've had so often over the past 10 years or so. I can't recall such a composed performance from us in any game, let alone an interstate final.

Two more games of that please!

Last edited:
Everything was so clean - decision making, execution, there was none of the QF wobbles we've had so often over the past 10 years or so. I can't recall such a composed performance from in any game, let alone an interstate final.

I’m very confident with this team this year seems to be coming together at the right time which is a good sign

Espically with Stewart a late out that didn’t disrupt the team or gameplan

Everything was so clean - decision making, execution, there was none of the QF wobbles we've had so often over the past 10 years or so. I can't recall such a composed performance from in any game, let alone an interstate final.

It was like flicking back to the 2022 finals series. Pretty much exactly how we played in the prelim and GF. So sharp and efficient.

I’m still in shock of the performance as well. My only concern is that we’ve been inconsistent and flakey in games this year.

But IF (it’s a big if and I can’t believe I’m saying this as I though Port would hammer us) IF we play like that again, no one is beating us, I don’t care who it is.
We just need to kick straight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back