GFL Geelong Football League - 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok im going to take a real ROUGH stab at a matheson medal market.

$6 Mark Corrigan (south barwon)
Nick Batchelor (bell park)
Ben Lavars (st marys)

$9 Brett Jackman (st josephs)
Tim Sheringham (bell park)
Marc Dragacevic (st albans)
Torin Baker (st josephs)

$15 Ben Kilday (newtown)
Michael McFarlane (south barwon)
Paul Sullivan (south barwon)

$18 Kane Smith (lara)

$20 Paul Waldron (grovedale)

Remember i dont know much and that is just a rough guess. Couldn't split the top 3. Feedback would be great. Have i missed any or Is there some there that shouldn't be? Players too high or low in value?

Also I dont really know anything about Colac which is why they have no players listed. I know McNamara is a gun but apparently he is gone.

Did anybody see on the Football Geelong Website that New St Albans Coach Peter Davenport was reported in a praccy match on 27/03/10 for striking. Website states case was to be heard on 29th. Anybody know the outcome. Not a great start regardless of the result. :eek:

I was told that he was reported for a wrestling/jumper grab type incident that there wasn't a lot in. He has been cleared subsequently and is right to play against Leopold next weekend in Rd 1.

As for it being not a great start - please. Given the way the game is umpired these days, you can get reported for breathing in the wrong way...

I was told that he was reported for a wrestling/jumper grab type incident that there wasn't a lot in. He has been cleared subsequently and is right to play against Leopold next weekend in Rd 1.

As for it being not a great start - please. Given the way the game is umpired these days, you can get reported for breathing in the wrong way...
everyone running scared to bag him?

Whats the rule on coaching if he had of been rubbed out?
Is he allowed to coach but not touch the turf..i guess it would be pretty hard to enforce no coaching at all.

Ok im going to take a real ROUGH stab at a matheson medal market.

$6 Mark Corrigan (south barwon)
Nick Batchelor (bell park)
Ben Lavars (st marys)

$9 Brett Jackman (st josephs)
Tim Sheringham (bell park)
Marc Dragacevic (st albans)
Torin Baker (st josephs)

$15 Ben Kilday (newtown)
Michael McFarlane (south barwon)
Paul Sullivan (south barwon)

$18 Kane Smith (lara)

$20 Paul Waldron (grovedale)

Remember i dont know much and that is just a rough guess. Couldn't split the top 3. Feedback would be great. Have i missed any or Is there some there that shouldn't be? Players too high or low in value?

Also I dont really know anything about Colac which is why they have no players listed. I know McNamara is a gun but apparently he is gone.

Pretty sure that Ben Kilday is not playing for Newtown this season.

Whats the rule on coaching if he had of been rubbed out?
Is he allowed to coach but not touch the turf..i guess it would be pretty hard to enforce no coaching at all.
When a playing coach is found guilty and suspended for x games, he is suspended from participating in the game (as a player or official). Therefore, he cannot coach or take any active part in the game while under suspension. A suspended player cannot act as a runner, or suspended runner cannot play - and if you think this through, it all makes good sense.
But then again, someone's gotta monitor that, don't they?

why is that different to the afl whereby a suspended player can sit in the coaches box and particapate? EG chris judd at carlton for the first few weeks this year..

if bell park stays injury free this year, in my opinion will be the team to beat. thoughts on this?

Top Six:

-St Marys
-Sth Barwon
-St Josephs
-Bell Park
-Newtown
-Colac

Basically the same sides every year, the order just keeps changing. GFL in this respect is becoming very predictable. I have been following for 10 years or so and the other sides such as Grovedale, Leopold, GWSP, Lara, St Albans, et al, despite their best efforts just find it too difficult to keep pace with the top sides. Something needs to change from the league's perspective. It has been a case of the haves and have-nots for a long time. Lock in that Top 6, I'd put my house on it, before a game even starts. Money in local football basically means success, rightly or wrongly. Funnily enough I would say that that Top 6 would be the richest clubs in the comp as well.

Top Six:
It has been a case of the haves and have-nots for a long time. Lock in that Top 6, I'd put my house on it, before a game even starts. Money in local football basically means success, rightly or wrongly. Funnily enough I would say that that Top 6 would be the richest clubs in the comp as well.
....begging the question: why?
Are these clubs:

1. in more affluent areas
  2. have better facilities
  3. better organised
  4. forming a stronger club culture
  5. populated with wealthy benefactors
  6. working harder at sponsorship
  7. managing their business affairs better
  8. in cyclical change
  9. just bloody lucky?
It might be worth an analysis of which clubs are under-performing and the reasons.
Maybe then they could solve the problems and the comp would level out a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Six:

-St Marys
-Sth Barwon
-St Josephs
-Bell Park
-Newtown
-Colac

Id doubt Newtown will be anything special. Reckn you could toss a coin between them Grovey Lara and Probably Leopold to see who will finish 6th. The gap between the top 5 and the rest was huge last year and I cant see Colac dropping out of the 5 for one of the above mentioned sides.

Are these clubs:

3. better organised
  8. in cyclical change
  9. just bloody lucky?
It might be worth an analysis of which clubs are under-performing and the reasons.

Some of these points are valid although I wouldn't call the area around Sth Barwon or Colac or Bell Park affluent!!

I think its fair to say there's a few clubs around that have some very wealthy benefactors who we all have heard of, Id say most clubs facilities are about on par with one another so I wouldn't say that'd be a reason either.

I reckn alot of these clubs success comes from the people running the club. These days most of the top clubs would have at least 1 person in a full time position whereas a number of other clubs still run the show like it was done 20 years ago.

Clubs like Grovedale and Leopold are out in massive,young expanding suburbs basically out on there own yet neither side has played finals for years. Remember 10 years ago Sth Barwon were basically on there knee's on the verge of extinction now there one of the strongest clubs in Victoria...

Id doubt Newtown will be anything special. Reckn you could toss a coin between them Grovey Lara and Probably Leopold to see who will finish 6th. The gap between the top 5 and the rest was huge last year and I cant see Colac dropping out of the 5 for one of the above mentioned sides.

Newtown will be very good this year. Will battle with Colac for 5th IMHO

Wathched the St Albans/Leopold game yesterday. Lot of hype surrounding saints. But nothing has changed, ill disciplined and not enough spirit. Same old st albans. Another long year.:thumbsdown:
Very surprised with the colac/sth Barwon game.. they could still play a role colac.:eek:
Anyone know how the game last night at west went?:footy:
Top 3 for Grovedale??? that may be very ambitious by their coach.:confused:

Wathched the St Albans/Leopold game yesterday. Lot of hype surrounding saints. But nothing has changed, ill disciplined and not enough spirit. Same old st albans. Another long year.:thumbsdown:
Very surprised with the colac/sth Barwon game.. they could still play a role colac.:eek:

ls watched the leopold\st albans game they sniped all day giving away free kicks, but on theother hand leoold looked pretty quick over the ground and thy couldnt keep up

On The Final Siren tonight we'll be running through all the fixtures from the local leagues around Geelong, dissecting the issues that have arisen after some interesting results in all three competitions. We'll also be joined by East Geelong coach Adam Skrobolak to discuss the Ricky O'Toole move, and want your thoughts about the fixturing for local football. Should we see more night football, and also a feature or match-of-the-round game on a Sunday? Along with everything local, we'll chat about all the AFL News, so join us from 8-9pm on 94.7, The Pulse FM

As a St.Albans supporter who would love to see them rise up the ladder it is dissapointing to hear your short summary. But it sounds like the St.Albans that I encountered 2 years ago. I did not think that for one minute they were not having a real go at winning for most of the game. But they just seemed to get frustrated and started to focus on scoring points behind play when they saw the game slipping away.

Re-why the top clubs remain on top, Monniehawks explanations are pretty accurate I reckon. I know that one club, at least, in particular is "in a more affluent area" and "are populated with wealthy benefactors" The extra oomph comes from the intermingling of wealthy benefactors also having personal & vested interests in the actual playing groups and at committe level. It's the committees who are always the most aware as to what monetary amounts are required so it helps when major sponsors fill the various positions or are cloesly linked to those who do. They know what it costs to buy premierships, they know what it costs to buy their way out of any "issues" arising which may jeopodise club reputation or vital liqour licences etc, they basically live and breath by the old adage "money talks" Often good committee members run around and do all the hard work and slog but sadly are just puppets for the powerbrokers in the top positions. Unless salary caps ever eventuate the situation is only going to get worse in local footy. Not wanting to be pessimistic but even then, those wealthy clubs will just get better at not being detected throwing their money around. On a happier note though there are still far more honourable people & clubs in footy than not. Go and watch some junior games too to be excited by the level of talent around and the great work being done in some clubs to nurture them on and off the field.

Re-why the top clubs remain on top, Monniehawks explanations are pretty accurate I reckon. I know that one club, at least, in particular is "in a more affluent area" and "are populated with wealthy benefactors" The extra oomph comes from the intermingling of wealthy benefactors also having personal & vested interests in the actual playing groups and at committe level. It's the committees who are always the most aware as to what monetary amounts are required so it helps when major sponsors fill the various positions or are cloesly linked to those who do. They know what it costs to buy premierships, they know what it costs to buy their way out of any "issues" arising which may jeopodise club reputation or vital liqour licences etc, they basically live and breath by the old adage "money talks" Often good committee members run around and do all the hard work and slog but sadly are just puppets for the powerbrokers in the top positions. Unless salary caps ever eventuate the situation is only going to get worse in local footy. Not wanting to be pessimistic but even then, those wealthy clubs will just get better at not being detected throwing their money around. On a happier note though there are still far more honourable people & clubs in footy than not. Go and watch some junior games too to be excited by the level of talent around and the great work being done in some clubs to nurture them on and off the field.
thank god, at last somebody with some intelligence & reality. Well done mate

West won by around 50-odd points. Kicked 15.5 after qtr time. North Shore played an improved brand of footy in the 2nd half but another long season ahead. 4 of West's top 5 were new recruits with Adam Morrow BOG and Doug Scott in the top 5. Prob 5 or 6 out inc James Rock and Sam Boyd. Good game this week West v Leopold.

Are these clubs:

3. better organised
  8. in cyclical change
  9. just bloody lucky?

Some have better junior catchment areas or avenues for grabbing decent kids.

West Saints would have been one of the most disadvantaged clubs in this area for many years.

I was a St Peter's junior when the original amalgamation took place and I know at that time we never had anything like the junior numbers other clubs did.

For a few years due to alot of St Peter's juniors going to school there, Chanel provided a bunch of kids (including Peter Riccardi).

But that avenue eventually dried up and as such they don't have a large area from where to draw kids from.

This doesnt of course ensure success but it can increase the chances of a decent kid coming through the junior ranks if you have larger numbers to start with.

Yes excellent point AndSmithMustScore. That is why Joeys are spoilt for juniors. They have a feeder boys school of 1800 or so coming through so i guess it's no wonder they dominate the junior flags. They still buy in players though for the seniors rather than use too many of their juniors though for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back