Roast Geelong getting home finals…but only against small drawing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly kudos to Geelong to be talked about again qualifying for finals - they are annoyingly consistently good. I think having finals in Geelong would be fantastic for the city and makes perfect sense. I think 40K is now big enough to have all there home finals there - given that the Gabba is 36k, Gold Coast is 22k, Showgrounds is 22k and they'll have finals there if those teams qualify.

So - in general just let them have the finals there, and yeah - 11 home games also makes sense. Make it Geelong's true home ground, and they can then get a better return on the money that has been invested there.

Shocking little ground.
21st century footy fans are sooks.
The ground has been on the same site and the same shape for 80 years.

Only been complaints in the last 10 years.

21st century footy fans are sooks.
The ground has been on the same site and the same shape for 80 years.

Only been complaints in the last 10 years.
That's because all the other shitty boutique grounds that hosted AFL/VFL games like Glenferrie Oval, Punt Rd, Windy Hill etc got phased out for AFL standard stadiums/ovals.

That's because all the other shitty boutique grounds that hosted AFL/VFL games like Glenferrie Oval, Punt Rd, Windy Hill etc got phased out for AFL standard stadiums/ovals.
3.2 PLAYING SURFACE(a) The Playing Surface shall be:
(i) oval in shape;
(ii) between 135 metres and 185 metres in length; and
(iii) between 110 metres and 155 metres in width.

(b) A white line shall be marked on the ground to identify the Playing Surface.This white line shall be drawn in the shape of an arc from the behind post(refer Law 3.3 below) at one end of the Playing Surface to the behind postat the other end of the Playing Surface. The white lines which are drawnare called the Boundary Line.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 154516.png

Quite literally is an AFL standard venue.

Minions Mic Drop GIF

It’s just funny isn’t it that every other club in the nation has had between 30 and 100 years to get used to it but the one who’s been around for 13 has handled it better than all of them.

3.2 PLAYING SURFACE(a) The Playing Surface shall be:
(i) oval in shape;
(ii) between 135 metres and 185 metres in length; and
(iii) between 110 metres and 155 metres in width.

(b) A white line shall be marked on the ground to identify the Playing Surface.This white line shall be drawn in the shape of an arc from the behind post(refer Law 3.3 below) at one end of the Playing Surface to the behind postat the other end of the Playing Surface. The white lines which are drawnare called the Boundary Line.

View attachment 1954601

Quite literally is an AFL standard venue.

Minions Mic Drop GIF
Not compared to the other ground you pay home games on, not even close.
It’s just funny isn’t it that every other club in the nation has had between 30 and 100 years to get used to it but the one who’s been around for 13 has handled it better than all of them.
No.
Like Norwood Oval and Mt Barker?
I don't believe Crows or Port want to play finals matches there? I'm sure there'd be no resistance if Cats wanted to play a handful of games a year at GMHBA like Norwood/Mt Barker/Ballarat/TIO etc do. Oh wait.......they already get that.

Not compared to the other ground you pay home games on, not even close.

No.

I don't believe Crows or Port want to play finals matches there? I'm sure there'd be no resistance if Cats wanted to play a handful of games a year at GMHBA like Norwood/Mt Barker/Ballarat/TIO etc do. Oh wait.......they already get that.

Hope you’re ok.

IMO every team should play a final there if that's how the positions on the ladder are at the end of a very long season. Just picking out a few interstate teams is nuts. I don't really care as the GF is at the MCG, more G time the better in September, but if the argument is that Geelong are drawn to play Collingwood in a first final and have qualified ahead of them at the end of the H&A season, it should be played at Kardinia Park.

Last edited:
While it is good that we have a chance of getting home finals, it is just dumb from a logical perspective.

1 Our stadium is larger than those in other states where they hold games.

2 To have some rubbery rule that depends on the drawing power of the opponent is bullshit*

3 Either we get home finals (which we should) or we don't. Same should go for Dogs, St Kilda and North - Carlton and Essendon should have the option to choose which of their home grounds they host a final at.

*Ironically the two teams most likely to wind up playing in Geelong are the two teams with really good recent records at GMHBA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ground is not up to AFL standard but not much you can say about it if the AFL are making teams play at Norwood Oval during Gather Round.
Enlighten us all about which part of it isn't up to AFL standard.
Bet you can't do it without reverting to the shape of the playing surface.

Because one side of the ground is completely different to other, they should have fixed it with the re-development.

By doing what, making a large street and an entire block of residential and business buildings disappear? Yes that makes complete sense because in a century professional footballers haven’t learned how to keep a ball inside a white line but a team that’s existed for a decade has managed to do it perfectly fine 😂😂😂

By doing what, making a large street and an entire block of residential and business buildings disappear? Yes that makes complete sense because in a century professional footballers haven’t learned how to keep a ball inside a white line but a team that’s existed for a decade has managed to do it perfectly fine 😂😂😂
Looks like it can't be fixed easily, still doesn't make it up to standard, which is my point, put it this way you only defend it as up to standard because you're a Geelong supporter.

For example, say Geelong was MCG tenant they had to play Richmond at GMHBA Stadium, and it was their home with a weird uneven dimension ground that they train on everyday would you be happy about that?

I never hear about any other teams complaining about other quality of Stadiums around the country, like Adelaide Oval, MCG, Optus & although we have a crap record at Marvel even, I can admit it's a quality Stadium.

Before the Gabba was an AFL venue, wasn't it pear shaped? One end was wide and the other was skinny or smaller?
To me is the Gabba is fine, not sure how far back you are talking about, but everything seems fine to me looks & dimensions wise.
It's never sprung to my mind that holy shit this is terrible ground like GMHBA Stadium has.

Looks like it can't be fixed easily, still doesn't make it up to standard, which is my point, put it this way you only defend it as up to standard because you're a Geelong supporter.

For example, say Geelong was MCG tenant they had to play Richmond at GMHBA Stadium, and it was their home with a weird uneven dimension ground that they train on everyday would you be happy about that?

I never hear about any other teams complaining about other quality of Stadiums around the country, like Adelaide Oval, MCG, Optus & although we have a crap record at Marvel even, I can admit it's quality Stadium.

Yes. We go to Sydney and play on a dinner plate.
Who the hell cares.
We go to every stadium and have managed a winning record at every single one of them bar Perth stadium over a period of 18 seasons.
Not our problem if other clubs need wet their pants over a patch of turf on one wing of one ground that footballers getting paid $500k a year can’t seem to navigate as though it’s as difficult as splitting the atom 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Geelong getting home finals…but only against small drawing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back