Roast Geelong getting home finals…but only against small drawing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly kudos to Geelong to be talked about again qualifying for finals - they are annoyingly consistently good. I think having finals in Geelong would be fantastic for the city and makes perfect sense. I think 40K is now big enough to have all there home finals there - given that the Gabba is 36k, Gold Coast is 22k, Showgrounds is 22k and they'll have finals there if those teams qualify.

So - in general just let them have the finals there, and yeah - 11 home games also makes sense. Make it Geelong's true home ground, and they can then get a better return on the money that has been invested there.

Yeah I agree. Geelong FC should get 11 home gamed at their home ground and if they qualify for it - home finals.....also to be held at their home ground.

Yes. We go to Sydney and play on a dinner plate.
Who the hell cares.
We go to every stadium and have managed a winning record at every single one of them bar Perth stadium over a period of 18 seasons.
Not our problem if other clubs need wet their pants over a patch of turf on one wing of one ground that footballers getting paid $500k a year can’t seem to navigate as though it’s as difficult as splitting the atom 😂
You guys have complained about playing at the MCG before for finals for a home game despite if it was played at GMHBA against big club it would be locking a ton of supporters out.

I seem to remember a lot of Geelong fans upset that Geelong v Richmond 2017 qualifying final was at the MCG. the official crowd for that was 95k

You guys have complained about playing at the MCG before for finals for a home game despite if it was played at GMHBA against big club it would be locking a ton of supporters out.

I seem to remember a lot of Geelong fans upset that Geelong v Richmond 2017 qualifying final was at the MCG. the official crowd for that was 95k

We complain about it because it’s the only situation of its kind in the league.

No other team plays opposition teams on their home ground in their home city at the expense of being in their own home city.

Who cares how many people get locked out. Edgbaston holds 25,000 people.

Why bother holding any Ashes tests there, just hold them at the MCG.

It's just a bit of a bullshit story all round, Jon Ralph even said it's not really official, just guidelines, etc.

It will remain no finals at KP, except for exceptions, and I think overall I'm happy enough with that.

Alternative would be week 1 (maybe wk2) home finals no matter the opponent.
Geelong should get a home final at GMHBA against an opponent first week of finals if they are an MCG tenant.

Shocking, the AFL behaving like a Mickey Mouse bush league.

I don't particularly care whether they get home finals or not but like the priority pick, there's no real criteria for whether teams will be sent down Princes Hwy or not, it's just "estimated crowds" and vibes with no consistency from year to year.

If anything they should be playing there against other Victorian sides in finals so they have an actual HGA but money talks

No other team plays opposition teams on their home ground in their home city at the expense of being in their own home city.

That's not true, St Kilda played a home final against the Giants at the MCG instead of Marvel last year.

Geelong is a Victorian team at the end of the day. they're not a state.

Now that is some delusional shit. Have you bothered to check out the Grand Final venue rules sometime in the past 40 years?

Btw if there was a 100k-capacity cricket ground 1 hour up the road from Edgbaston, then yeah the ECB would rather play big games there instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that is some delusional s**t. Have you bothered to check out the Grand Final venue rules sometime in the past 40 years?

Btw if there was a 100k-capacity cricket ground 1 hour up the road from Edgbaston, then yeah the ECB would rather play big games there instead.

Sorry where is the delusion?

I couldn’t care less about the grand final. The grand final isn’t being debated, is it.

Now that is some delusional s**t. Have you bothered to check out the Grand Final venue rules sometime in the past 40 years?

Saints v Giants final game even got 68k you aren't getting that many if it was played at Marvel.

People still somehow forget that AFL is a business & when money is involved it will always win out.

They will just have to deal with it, evens itself out anyway since Geelong has the biggest H&A advantage in the AFL as they're the only club that trains & plays on their home ground.

Saints v Giants final game even got 68k you aren't getting that many if it was played at Marvel.

People still somehow forget that AFL is a business & when money is involved it will always win out.

They will just have to deal with it, evens itself out anyway since Geelong has the biggest H&A advantage in the AFL as they're the only club that trains & plays on their home ground.

Yeah that’s a massive advantage. Playing 9 games at home 😂

The best part is travelling to another team’s home ground to host them in their city. It’s easily the biggest home ground advantage because we get to explore the field when we train. We discover so much about it that we just wouldn’t work out if we didn’t train there.

When we go to the MCG we just can’t work out what to do. It’s like our multitude of drills on MCG-sized layouts, as any professional side would do before playing at a different venue, count for nothing. We have to send advance scouting parties to tell us if certain patches of grass are safe to step on, see if the boundary lines behave the same etc etc.

It’s a nightmare

Sorry where is the delusion?

I couldn’t care less about the grand final. The grand final isn’t being debated, is it.
Indeed the Grand Final isn't being debated. You're just outright ignoring it, so you can pretend like Geelong are the "only" club that ever loses home city advantage because of the AFL's fixturing policies.

Indeed the Grand Final isn't being debated. You're just outright ignoring it, so you can pretend like Geelong are the "only" club that ever loses home city advantage because of the AFL's fixturing policies.

Brisbane has lost it in the past.

Im aware that other clubs have had to shift grounds but I’m not aware of any other sides having to shift cities since Brisbane in 2004, outside of the grand final which has actually been bid on in the past has it not? It is incidental where The grand final is held relative to who plays it, though it will mathematically usually feature a Victorian team

Geelong should play all their home finals at their home stadium, it shouldn't have any more qualifiers.

If there is a financial issue then the AFL should give the Cats the opportunity to make up the difference. I can't imagine it's much more than a few hundred grand. I think Geelong make nearly $750k a game at their stadium when it's full from memory.

If it costs $300k for the Cats to play a qualifying final at home, as long as it's not against Freo, then buying that Prelim final might well be worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Geelong getting home finals…but only against small drawing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back