Geelong - have to trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, I reckon this DeanoT guy sounds a lot smarter a more logical than who he's arguing with, although I've only read the last page.

4 players to target, and the sacrifices
l. henderson - replacement for harley role/handy forward option. straight trade for gamble
m. rischitelli - good player who can do a job anywhere. 2nd round draft pick + k. tenace
d. pearce - surprising one but would like to use him as a running defender, dont think playing down forward is his best spot. not sure who wed have to sacrifice, thinking stokes + blake/west/2nd round draft pick OR blake + 1st round draft pick
j. meesen - very promising young ruckman, in my opinion would have got a game infront of west/blake/mumford. blake/west/mumford + d. mckenna
opinions??

l. henderson - replacement for harley role/handy forward option. straight trade for gamble
m. rischitelli - good player who can do a job anywhere. 2nd round draft pick + k. tenace
d. pearce - surprising one but would like to use him as a running defender, dont think playing down forward is his best spot. not sure who wed have to sacrifice, thinking stokes + blake/west/2nd round draft pick OR blake + 1st round draft pick
j. meesen - very promising young ruckman, in my opinion would have got a game infront of west/blake/mumford. blake/west/mumford + d. mckenna
opinions??

All of those trades are unrealistic. All way in Geelong's favour. Except for the Meesen one. Wouldn't touch the guy. If you can't make it at Melbourne with Jamar playing ahead of you, and you failed at Adelaide at a time they really needed ruckmen, there's something wrong.

All of those trades are unrealistic. All way in Geelong's favour. Except for the Meesen one. Wouldn't touch the guy. If you can't make it at Melbourne with Jamar playing ahead of you, and you failed at Adelaide at a time they really needed ruckmen, there's something wrong.
reason why i thought pearce and rischitelli might go cheap is they both seem to be out of favour at there clubs, and from what ive seen of henderson he hasn't quite lived up to the pick 8 brisbane used, brisbane need a small forward and they dont really need henderson as a forward or defender. and meesen is an interesting one his been injured on and off for the past 3 years and in the games ive seen him play his played well, but saying that not sure if having two injury prone ruckman is the best idea.

Didn't John Meesen get a stress frature in his foot? I thought that was why he was out for the season. Similar to Matthew Egan.

opinions??

gamble + first round pick for henderson:thumbsu:

opinions??

Horrible suggestions. You're either massively overrating the worth of your players, or underrating the others. Henderson for Gamble? Oh my..

Horrible suggestions. You're either massively overrating the worth of your players, or underrating the others. Henderson for Gamble? Oh my..
brisbane faithful who i have talked to said they would like this trade, not because they want to get rid of henderson but they dont think his required, but they think they need a small forward. a fair enough judgement i think. the rischitelli trade would definetly favour geelong, didnt quite think that one through i must admit :S.

brisbane faithful who i have talked to said they would like this trade, not because they want to get rid of henderson but they dont think his required, but they think they need a small forward. a fair enough judgement i think. the rischitelli trade would definetly favour geelong, didnt quite think that one through i must admit :S.

Whether he is required or not [I would've thought he is required], they would know his market value is higher than a straight swap for Gamble. They would stupid to take it.

You bring up a decent line of argument. Also at the end of the day the only person who knows what motivates them is the player themselves. That said, I have a feeling Voss will tell you he loves being respected for the era and the great team and success he was a part of, and he'd much rather than than an extra house or three.

you're talking about voss - who was arguably.. well not really arguably.. the best player in that team.

in geelong the equivalent is ablett.

i'm not talking about your best player ablett leaving (although it is possible.. yet unlikely).. i'm talking about players outside of your top 10 yet inside your best 22 leaving..

i guess time will tell anyway..

opinions??

Meesen :eek:

he is a SPUD

Dont know who you've been speaking to mate but Henderson is very much a required and important player for the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would it take to tempt a trade for Rooke, hypethetically?

Seriously dont know what some of you are on. We need to move 6 players off the list, and ease a bit of cap pressure. BEAR THE FOLLOWING IN MIND....

Ablett and Selwood are out of contract at the end of NEXT year. By which stage, it is a fair bet Milburn, Harley and Mooney will be retired, thus easing the salary cap pressure. At which point also, it creates room in the veterans list for Corey or Ling or anyone else on the most dollars. Back ending, players wanting more premierships etc will see us ONLY trade fringe players. Bookmark this thread if you need to. Varcoe isn't going anywhere. Neither is Stokes or Byrnes. The Geelong players have all made a point of saying how much they love each other as mates. The 6 to go will be

• Harley (retired - freeing up considerable cap pressure as the captain he must be on great coin)
  • Egan (on a reported $250,000)
  • Tenace - played some good footy late in the year. Someone out there will want his pace and bigger body. Is reportedly on good dollars too, after signing a 4 year deal when we didnt realise we had the best midfield ever coming through
  • Lonegran -Can't see him playing back ahead of Gillies and Laidler next year, and can't see him going forward ahead of Brown and a couple of other youngsters. Also is probably not on a huge salary, but wouldn't be the lowest paid player either by any stretch.
  • West - a more than capable ruckman who wont want to sit behind Mummy, Blake and Otto. Speaking of Mummy, dont be surprised if he starts playing down back next year, or even as a forward.
  • David Johnson - Been a great servant of the club, but isn't going to play 1's ahead of Laidler, Gillies, or even Djerkurra. Again, wouldn't be on a fortune, but the difference between his salary and a 1st year draftee would be significant.
Now of course if any soft c*&%'s (Like Prismall "I am not good enough to get a game regularly, so instead of working hard and forcing my way in, ill go be a big fish in a crappier pond at Essendon" aren't up for the challenge of forcing their way into a champion side, they may ask to move on. So that said, you may see Gamble or someone like him go but I doubt it will happen.

Close thread.

I hear what you're saying, but I think your arrogant tone will come back & bite you in the ar#e. I mentioned above:
"I personally don't think the cap has anything to do with it (Brissie had an even better squad and kept it for a 4th GF). Thompson's really warning the fans & team he has a tough choice to make - go for another (unlikely) premiership with the current squad (with 1 or 2 retirements), go for a complete rebuild, or trade out of a couple of older guys before their time (a la King) & hope they can get a couple of adequate replacements, either mature or draftees.

Next year, they'll have 6 thirty-somethings. Big deal you say. But they're not just 6 out of 22, they are 4 out'n'out stars (Scarlett, Milburn, Mooney & Ottens) & the captain (plus Wojcinski). Then you have another 4 stars at 28/29, Enright, Ling, Chapman & Corey.

The big risk is if you don't go for a mini rebuild (via trades), but hang on to the majority of these 10 older stars - you won't win a flag, but you'll be competitive, get no decent draft picks and you'll waste the best years your middle aged stars have left. In other words, Ablett, Bartel, Mackie, Rooke & Stevie J are still a premiership class core, but not if you waste the next 2 years hanging onto this generation.[/quote]"

I have since heard the GFC hierarchy don't believe they'll make the top 4 next year. As I said above, it's not about the salary cap. That's just Bomber's way of warning the fans tough decisions may be needed. A give away was before the GF when Mooney said they'd better win it coz they might not have the legs next year.

GFC are past their window. There's 2 things you can do. Play the existing group, trade fringe player, etc, and slowly drop down the ladder until you get bad enough to get a few yrs with top picks & hope you can rebuild an outstanding squad, like this, again. That'll take 10 yrs.

But the GFC hierarchy is sharp. They would see they've basically got the most valuable ingredient for a 2nd go at the top - 3 Brownlow quality mids (Ablett, Selwood & Bartel) under 26.

If you were running a business (no fans & no loyalty issues), you'd trade everyone that is 27 or over, next week, to maximise your picks in the last clean draft for a while. Then probably sack anyone over 29 that hasn't attracted a trade.

Coll, Hawks, Bullies & Stk are coming up to/in their "window". Would you trade with them so they could dominate the next 2/3 yrs, then be right back in the game 2/3 yrs after that? Eg use Scarlett, Milburn, Mooney, Ottens, Wojcinski, Enright, Ling, Chapman, Corey & GFC's 3rd & 4th round picks to get 2 or 3 1st & 2nd rounders and 2 or 3 like Sidebottom/Beams/Gilbert/Ball/Lake/Lewis?

I'll bet that's exactly what Bomber & co know they should do, but going the full monty would be too harsh. So, they'll blame the salary cap & push as far as they can.

I'm just guessing (about most of it) -thread still open

Henderson and Meesen are both from the Geelong area, Meesen from Modewarre and Henderson from Colac and Geelong College. I don't see Henderson leaving Brisbane, and if Meesen were to leave the Dees it would be via delisting.

If Geelong really wanted to free up some space, they could trade North, Nathan Djekurra for a 3rd round. Good quick midfielder who hasn't got the opportunities having been drafted for season 2007, when Geelong hit their straps. Has only played 3 games but has been really promising from what I've heard.

Henderson and Meesen are both from the Geelong area, Meesen from Modewarre and Henderson from Colac and Geelong College. I don't see Henderson leaving Brisbane, and if Meesen were to leave the Dees it would be via delisting.

If Geelong really wanted to free up some space, they could trade North, Nathan Djekurra for a 3rd round. Good quick midfielder who hasn't got the opportunities having been drafted for season 2007, when Geelong hit their straps. Has only played 3 games but has been really promising from what I've heard.

Had trouble finding the ball from what I've seen (specifically in the Geelong v. Essendon game this year which I was at). Then again that is probably a given in our midfield, probably needs half a season or so to get used to the structure.

One thing to note, he had something like 7 disposals and 8 tackles in that game.

It's not often a player has more tackles than disposals lol, which can be seen as a very good thing, or a poor thing, depending which way you look @ it i guess....I'd say it's a good sign for a young player.

i know when u lost Egan u thought it would be a major loss... but boy has harry taylor stepped up. Great player. Will be a star in years to come. You don't need Harley with scarlett and taylor around

what would u need... or want... realistically... for shane mumford?

With Campbell retiring that is probably a smokey trade this year. Hawks need a ruckman, Cats can just ask for pick in the 20-30 range, because their lineup is complete enough to not warrant trading for a player already in the system.

we wont trade mumford, if a club comes knocking on the door and want a ruckmen, we will give Blake as he will provide a little breathing space in the salary cap

you're talking about voss - who was arguably.. well not really arguably.. the best player in that team.

in geelong the equivalent is ablett.

i'm not talking about your best player ablett leaving (although it is possible.. yet unlikely).. i'm talking about players outside of your top 10 yet inside your best 22 leaving..

i guess time will tell anyway..

Ah yes I misread your argument slightly then. I do agree players towards the bottom end of a list (i.e. 15 to 22, and then beyond) are likely to leave us (well more likely than players 1-10 anyway) in the coming years as they have done in previous years (king, prismall, callan et al). I just think for your ablett's or selwood's to leave is the equivalent of voss's or lappin's or scott's or leppistch's, who have the guarantee of spots in the side, respect as leaders and the legacy that goes with winning premierships...so it's unlikely to happen, no matter how many papers write it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - have to trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back