Geelong > Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: hawks= no future

philhawk said:
But you're willing to take that as an 'excuse'. How's this then, the next time Geelong beat Hawthorn (i'm surmising by around 2010), we'll play the 'disinterested' card as well.

get over it, I already said in my previous post that it's not an excuse, just a fact. it was terrible to watch, shameful, but that's the way it was.

how about you address some of my other points, instead of posting weak comments like this?

Lunchlady Doris said:
get over it, I already said in my previous post that it's not an excuse,

Lunchlady Doris said:
second up, no excuse and it was pathetic to watch, but after a draw the week before to end our season, there wasn't much to play for.

Still sounds like an excuse to me.

Lunchlady Doris said:
how about you address some of my other points, instead of posting weak comments like this

Lunchlady Doris said:
why did the hawks grossly underacheive in 2000, 2002 (but 2001 looked so promising?) 2003, 2004 2005, 2006?

We've been underachieving since 1991 actually. In the future, nobody remembers whether a team makes the Preliminary Finals or even gets '2nd best' in the Grand Final and judges 'underachievement' on that.

People remember Premierships, so on that note if we're going to be picky, as I said - Hawthorn have underchieved for the past 15 years just like Geelong has for the past 24.

Lunchlady Doris said:
because we'd like a captain to lead from the front? if he was sacked at all...when will vandenberg be sacked as captain?
For starters, why the need to make 'weak comments' like that and bring up Vandenberg? FWIW, Vandenberg had an extremely poor year captaining his club in 2005, but improved immensely in 2006.

People pick on Vandenberg as it's a soft option.

He had just as good a season as Richmond captain Kane Johnson (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/webcompare_playerstid1=108&pid1=666&tid2=112&pid2=330), but it's funny how that is overlooked and no-one criticizes Johnson.

Lunchlady Doris said:
why are hawks fans so damn cocky about the near future?
take out wins against the bombers, blues, north and us at the end, and your season is an absolute nightmare. much like ours, and we still finished above you.

There's no doubting that Hawthorn fans are confident about our future, but it's funny how that theme gets put across just from Hawk fans responding to troll threads. Start a troll thread about Geelong and see how many Cats fans resort to the usual 'at least we have a better future than (insert club)!'

But wait, obviously that means that they're cocky.

philhawk said:
We've been underachieving since 1991 actually. In the future, nobody remembers whether a team makes the Preliminary Finals or even gets '2nd best' in the Grand Final and judges 'underachievement' on that.

People remember Premierships, so on that note if we're going to be picky, as I said - Hawthorn have underchieved for the past 15 years just like Geelong has for the past 24.

I agree with you completely on this one, you either win it or you don't, but i think you'll find its been a bit more than 24 for us :eek:

philhawk said:
For starters, why the need to make 'weak comments' like that and bring up Vandenberg? FWIW, Vandenberg had an extremely poor year captaining his club in 2005, but improved immensely in 2006.

Sorry I don't see the problem here. A hawks person had a crack at Kingy, why is Vandenberg untouchable?

philhawk said:
There's no doubting that Hawthorn fans are confident about our future, but it's funny how that theme gets put across just from Hawk fans responding to troll threads. Start a troll thread about Geelong and see how many Cats fans resort to the usual 'at least we have a better future than (insert club)!'

But wait, obviously that means that they're cocky.

I know what you mean here, it's a little like everyone telling us we thought we had won the premiership after round 2. Dean Laidley might have, but not us. But the more people post the same thing, the more everyone believes it. I have seen a few threads on the hawks board that have made me chuckle, but I guess every team has those.

SweetLeftFoot said:
Now there's the win at all costs mentality we''ve come to expect from the Tasmanian Draft Picks.

You wouldn't know sarcasm if it jumped up and bit you in the bum! :rolleyes:

Lunchlady Doris said:
that's what you take exception to?

the difference being the eagles were beating all comers, quality sides in form, not the 3 bottom sides and 1 disinterested one.

(and to a lesser extent this from a Geelong supporter from the one word to describe each team thread)

winty said:
Adelaide: Robotic
Brisbane: Declining
Bulldogs: Challenging
Hawthorn: Amnesiacs (Skite about when they twice beat a team who weren't interested, but neglect to mention the previous 3 clashes between the sides when they had their a**es handed to them)
Melbourne: Snow
Port Adelaide: Young

Fact: Claiming that the only lost (twice) because 'my team is so good, but were just disinterested' is representative of the handbag culture... what... geelong became disinterested by round 3?

Tankeroo supporters of all people should really avoid this subject of 'winning at all costs' altogether :thumbsu:

philhawk said:

He had just as good a season as Richmond captain Kane Johnson (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/webcompare_playerstid1=108&pid1=666&tid2=112&pid2=330), but it's funny how that is overlooked and no-one criticizes Johnson.
um sorry but that is totally wrong, stats dont prove jack, Johnson won the B&F, he was tagging the oppositions best midfielder, and won just about every week, his season was a lot better then Vandenburg

ralphwiggum said:
Fact: Claiming that the only lost (twice) because 'my team is so good, but were just disinterested' is representative of the handbag culture... what... geelong became disinterested by round 3?

I have no affiliation with winty other than we support the same club. I didnt say anything about round 3, just 22. Do you disagree with my analysis of that last game (not excusing the performance - there is no excuse for a top-flight football club not turning up to play)?

geelong_crazy26 said:
just wondering when are hawthorn ever going to be a reasonable football side that can make the finals? 5 years in a row hawthorn have missed out on the finals and they dont look like making it any time soon. the young players on that list are no good, i know hawthorn supporters think that franklin is going to be a champion but that is just because they need something to hang their hat on. lance franklin is a player who relies on other players to do the hard work for him as he just sits at the back of the pack and gets all these easy goals, should not be rated as a footballer at all. another player that hawk supporters like to boast about is luke hodge, luke hodge is no where near as good as hawthorn supporters would make out, and i have the facts to prove it. in 01 hawthorn made a pre liminary final, look what happened to hawthorn when one mr luke hodge arrived the next year, in fact how many finals have hawthorn played in since luke hodge arrived? well yea he really must be a great player then. absolutely nothing to like about this hawthorn side, poor defence, poor midfield, poor forward line. the only good thing hawthorn had was a good ruckman in spider everitt and he is gone now. their is only 1 good player currently on hawthorns list who can win a match and that is shane crawford and he is getting towards the end of his career and cannot be relied apon simply because of his age. their is alot of crap being said by hawthorn supporters that they are the sleeping giants but they will be saying the same thing in 3 years time when that dud luke hodge has spent 8 years in the afl and still hasnt played 1 finals match.

Over the last 50 yrs Hawks won 9 Grand Finals and runner up 5 times .

the Handbag carriers ,ooops Geelong have won 1 and were runner up 5 times .
At least we admit we are not going places BUT soon will . You all thought you were Grand Final material:p after winning the NAB cup which is a joke where most teams dont give stuff about the result .

Ted Ed Fred said:
Isn't this just typical of the Tassie Hawks supporters on here. One person who is a Geelong supporter bags them so they all start viciously slagging the GFC as a whole, even claiming Gary Ablett snr is responsible for a girls death :rolleyes:

Tassie Hawks? When did the Devils change their name? I thought we were the Tassie Kangaroos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkk said:
Last time I checked didn't Hawthorn have the best facilities in the country - didn't the IR team use Hawthorn's base, the 2nd largest coaching staff and 10 consecutive profits in a row.

I could be wrong though - just remember when Geelong had the same amount of wins as us 2002-3, they had 4,000+ less members then us.

Geelong = pathetic excuse for a football club/country town.

Hawkk you are a dead set idiot.
the only reason why the Tassie hawks have posted a profit is because:
1. Waverly pay out
2. Dickson poured a lot of his own money into the club to balance the books.
3. only reason why hawks might post a profit in the future is because they sold themselves to tassie. not even north or the doggies have been that desperate to make money :eek:

you can only flog a dead horse so much. hawks will be dead in a few years. RIP :D

geelong_crazy26 said:
just wondering when are hawthorn ever going to be a reasonable football side that can make the finals? 5 years in a row hawthorn have missed out on the finals and they dont look like making it any time soon. the young players on that list are no good, i know hawthorn supporters think that franklin is going to be a champion but that is just because they need something to hang their hat on. lance franklin is a player who relies on other players to do the hard work for him as he just sits at the back of the pack and gets all these easy goals, should not be rated as a footballer at all. another player that hawk supporters like to boast about is luke hodge, luke hodge is no where near as good as hawthorn supporters would make out, and i have the facts to prove it. in 01 hawthorn made a pre liminary final, look what happened to hawthorn when one mr luke hodge arrived the next year, in fact how many finals have hawthorn played in since luke hodge arrived? well yea he really must be a great player then. absolutely nothing to like about this hawthorn side, poor defence, poor midfield, poor forward line. the only good thing hawthorn had was a good ruckman in spider everitt and he is gone now. their is only 1 good player currently on hawthorns list who can win a match and that is shane crawford and he is getting towards the end of his career and cannot be relied apon simply because of his age. their is alot of crap being said by hawthorn supporters that they are the sleeping giants but they will be saying the same thing in 3 years time when that dud luke hodge has spent 8 years in the afl and still hasnt played 1 finals match.

lol is this goose for real?
can someone please tell me what geelong has over hawthorn at the moment?

HotDog said:
Hawkk you are a dead set idiot.
the only reason why the Tassie hawks have posted a profit is because:

Pretty rich coming from a Hungry Jacks Eagle fan.

1. Waverly pay out

The most we got was 800,000 - we posted 1,000,000+ profits in 2001 and 2002. In fact we posted significant profits in the years leading up to the Waverley move and since the Waverley compensation - 2005 and 2006.

Irrepective of the compensation didn't we have the largest membership in Victoria and a number of 40,000+ crowds vs. low drawing teams like the Eagles, Power, Swans and Dockers in the 2-3 years leading up to the move. In short, the move cost us financially a lot more then the 3 million over 5 years that was put on the table in a take it or leave enviroment - Kangaroos and Bulldogs will get that amount in a year for no particular reason what so ever.

We hold the record for the largest crowd for a pre season grand final between non Victorian teams FFS – 50,000 vs Port (1999)

Why do you think we have been so eager to move back there and get the lapsed members, supporters and sponsors back on board?

Gippsland
I had reason to travel to Gippsland last Thursday night where I addressed a gathering on matters relating to my Chairmanship of beyondblue the National Depression Initiative.

At that meeting I was surprised at the number of people that wanted to talk about the Hawthorn Football Club. Many were members as a result of our earlier time at Waverley.

I was also reminded that when Ron Cook was our President he invited the presidents, vice presidents and CEO’s of all Gippsland Clubs to Glenferrie on a regular basis for a barbeque. A wonderful idea says me. Given our return to Waverley and that Gippsland is again part of our territory; I will be inviting those Office bearers back to the Club and Waverley on Sunday 20 August as part of our rebuilding our presence and membership in our new community.

We will also be inviting all our members in Gippsland to an open day at the Club, but I have not been able to fix a date yet. Keep watching this column.
Enough for now. The Hawthorn Football Club is a very exciting place to be, on and off the field and there is more to come.

2. Dickson poured a lot of his own money into the club to balance the books.

It'd be nice if you get his name right :rolleyes:

Dicker like every other club in the league has invested time and money into his club. Even Essendon has done this in the past. The fact is we have just come off our most unsuccessful decade since 1945-1955, yet we haven't posted a loss and still boast a 30,000 membership. Not bad!

3. only reason why hawks might post a profit in the future is because they sold themselves to tassie. not even north or the doggies have been that desperate to make money :eek:

Handouts from the AFL (yearly from 2007-2012)

Kangaroos - 3,600,000
Western Bulldogs - 3,300,000
Melbourne - 1,700,000
Carlton - 1,700,000
St.Kilda - 1,400,000
Richmond - 1,400,000
Sydney - 1,400,000
Essendon - 400,000
Geelong - 400,000
Port Adelaide - 300,000
Hawthorn - 300,000
Collingwood - 100,000
West Coast - 100,000
Brisbane - 100,000
Adelaide - 100,000
West Coast - 100,000

We are so desperate for cash we will do anything right :rolleyes: According to the AFL, we are the second most stable Victorian club in the league, you can't have it both ways boy.

The Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Melbourne even St.Kilda for that matter don't have 3,000+ members in another state, have been offered 4,000,000 a year to play non MCG home games down there and now have potentially could have a 'Spirit of Tasmania' painted in the Brown and Gold Hawthorn colours solely to shift Melbourne based HFC members to and from Tasmania - according to the Mercury this morning. You can bitch all you like about why we are playing games in Tasmania, facts are our members don't go to the Dome.

Gee I wish we had an administration like the ****ing Bulldogs or Kangaroos :rolleyes:

BudddddyLove said:
lol is this goose for real?
can someone please tell me what geelong has over hawthorn at the moment?

I'd just ignore him, the guy has very imited idea of what's going on.

The Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Melbourne even St.Kilda for that matter don't have 3,000+ members in another state, have been offered 4,000,000 a year to play non MCG home games down there and now have potentially could have a 'Spirit of Tasmania' painted in the Brown and Gold Hawthorn colours solely to shift Melbourne based HFC members to and from Tasmania - according to the Mercury this morning. You can bitch all you like about why we are playing games in Tasmania, facts are our members don't go to the Dome.

Gee I wish we had an administration like the ****ing Bulldogs or Kangaroos :rolleyes:

but dont you guys only have 7 or 8 MCG games next year?? I bet there some unhappy hawks about that. somebody got stooged

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong > Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back