Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron should make a difference but no guarantee that he'll win them games they'd otherwise lose.
He'd have to be sitting on the sideline saying shit I may have made the wrong choice picking Geelong.

Geelong must be thinking we gave up 3 first rounders for him and he's injured and our lineup isn't getting any younger. Maybe we stuffed up here and should have invested in Youth that's ok we'll get some in the draft oops we gave our first pick this year to Richmond already.

Cameron should make a difference but no guarantee that he'll win them games they'd otherwise lose.
He'd have to be sitting on the sideline saying sh*t I may have made the wrong choice picking Geelong.

Geelong must be thinking we gave up 3 first rounders for him and he's injured and our lineup isn't getting any younger. Maybe we stuffed up here and should have invested in Youth that's ok we'll get some in the draft oops we gave our first pick this year to Richmond already.
And yep, so many people were all saying it. But Geelong went out and made the trade. I know a lot of people on BF that shared my sentiments about this being a stupid short sighted trade. And of course people came out and said "oh but you go all in for the premiership" I want to drag up those posts so bad.

No, comes down to the list profile and game plan, you cant win a horse race when riding a draft horse whilst everybody else has proper race horses

Yes on Game Plan.
list not yet, few out which has obviously affected us. The majority of this team was in last years grand final.
the coaches have not adapted to the changes, the list hasn’t been given a chance. We always look better when we attack but for whatever reason the clubs coaches don’t want us too.

so like race horses, you have to adapt their race based on conditions (game plan) and course, not just go out and whip it all the way.

And yep, so many people were all saying it. But Geelong went out and made the trade. I know a lot of people on BF that shared my sentiments about this being a stupid short sighted trade. And of course people came out and said "oh but you go all in for the premiership" I want to drag up those posts so bad.
Clubs don't rebuild unless they are forced too, Geelong especially. They even traded out their picks in 2000 inbetween the amazing 1999 and 2001 drafts. Mature free agents won't come to Geelong as much anymore if they miss/scrap into the 8 and lose week 1. A rebuild will be forced upon them

Yes. It’s gotten more complex with the sub, as it counts towards games played even if he’s not activated. Could mess around and make exceptions in calculations, but if a sub is activated in the last 10 minutes, does it really make a measurable difference?

It is what it is - a measure of each club’s best 23.
Agree.

But in the special case of Burgoyne, it's inflating the average age of the team by nearly 1 year compared to having used an 18 year old as the medical sub.

Agree.

But in the special case of Burgoyne, it's inflating the average age of the team by nearly 1 year compared to having used an 18 year old as the medical sub.

You can think of it as Hawthorn - Burgoyne = 25.85 v Freo 24.86. An average older team wins 57% of those games.

Have redone the averages, with subs who didn't see game time excluded:

ClubRound 4Season
Geel27.3627.38
Rich26.7327.00
W.C.26.2526.74
Coll27.1126.61
P.A.25.8525.87
Haw25.8525.86
W.B.25.9425.72
Bris26.1325.70
Carl25.7425.70
Melb25.3625.17
St.K25.0125.02
GWS24.4224.88
Frem24.8624.74
Adel24.3824.63
Syd24.7724.56
G.C.24.3924.47
Ess24.4524.33
N.M.24.0424.23

Geelong was 27.47 after Round 4 last year, making their 2020-21 teams the 5th and 6th oldest ever to this point of the season.

Last edited:
As much as I want you to be right and they might not finish top 4, they will still comfortably make the 8.
Geelong have a very tough month of May, their season could be over after Sydney, Richmond and St.Kilda all in a row, all away from home. Lose either one of the next two games and it's stumps for 2021?

Last edited:
Geelong have a very tough month of May, their season could be over after Sydney, Richmond and St.Kilda all in a row, all away from home. Lose either one of the next two games and it stumps for 2021?

I wouldn't worry about May, I'd be just focused on next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have a very tough month of May, their season could be over after Sydney, Richmond and St.Kilda all in a row, all away from home. Lose either one of the next two games and it stumps for 2021?

They get to play north and eagles in Geelong with Dangerfield and Cameron back in the next 2 weeks..they will beat north by 50+ and the eagles are not a great travelling side. They will comfortably beat them.

The swans at the scg is not as tough anymore, as the swans are actually better away from the scg. That game is a 50/50. Richmond are also not playing great football atm...whilst the next 4 on paper look difficult, Geelong will at worst go 2-2.

Their middle lot of games is not too difficult and they finish the season with north Melbourne in tassie then 3 games in Geelong where they don’t lose...they are a lock to make the 8 and will be coming into finals having won 4 in a row.

Fair article today saying the Cats need a medium defender with pace and agility. Currently playing four talls plus Bews and Atkins.

What are Stewart and Tuohy?

Maybe they could put Rohan back there if they need to change it up.

Henderson looked like a spare wheel yesterday.

Last edited:
Fair article today saying the Cats need a medium defender with pace and agility. Currently playing four talls plus Bews and Atkins.

Henry is also fairly tall and not super agile.

Currently playing Clarke on a wing.

Tom Stewart and Mark O'Connor. Both 191cm, quick and agile. Can't really get a better pair of fast, agile medium defenders on their combined salary.

Henry is also 191cm, quick and agile but lacks footskills.

It's the footskills out of defence we lack not speed and agility. Bews, Atkins, Henry, Kolojashnij and Blicavs are all limited by foot.

We have too many defenders and not enough forwards so Clark and Rohan need to stay put, especially since both have proven to be suspect defensively.

We could send O'Connor back to defence but apart he's pretty much the reason we're 2-2 and not 0-4. Was sensational through the middle in both wins.

I wouldn't say Tuohy or Stewart are super agile or super fast. They aren't slow and they aren't small either.

Would you play them on a De Goey or a Petracca?

Ah well I didn't see the article. You made it sound like they needed a running defender to provide rebound, and both those players are "metres gained" types.

They have players who can play that role - O'Connor, Z.Guthrie, maybe Henry. Every club has areas that could do with an upgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back