Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you seriously believe you'll just hang around the top forever?

You actually did drop to the bottom half in 2015, but got a big prop up in Dangerfield, and have been topping up even more older players to keep it going.

There will come a point where it all comes crashing down. With key players like Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield in their 30s, along with the horrible negative game style seen on Monday, there is reason to believe it will come sooner than you want to believe.

Wouldn't read too much into that Monday game. Scott said they were aiming to slow the game down as in round 1 they went too quick. He even said that Monday was an over correction and they slowed the game down too much.

Now the reason for slowing the Geelong game style down is more interesting. Why go slow when most teams are going fast.

Is it a player management thing with returning to full 20 min quarters? Does Scott understand that with a older more experienced list going fast isn't smart?

What will be telling is how the older guys are travelling come September.

Its a 22 man game. You really believe two 30 year olds are going to fix your ball movement?

Like I said, and the point you keep ignoring; the problem for you isn't so much Geelong potentially declining; it's younger, faster, fresher teams looking like having a big year. This week's game against Melbourne should be very interesting; I suspect you're in for a sobering reality check.

A 32 year old controlled the forward 50 nearly every game he played last year.

ive been hearing about sobering reality checks since Johnson Bartel Chapman and Enright hit the wrong side of 30. I will believe it when I see it on a regular basis

A 32 year old controlled the forward 50 nearly every game he played last year.

ive been hearing about sobering reality checks since Johnson Bartel Chapman and Enright hit the wrong side of 30. I will believe it when I see it on a regular basis
The only reason it didn't happen after 2015 was because you got a handy injection of Dangerfield.

By all means, keep believing Chris Scott can keep this old, slow team up at the top end of the ladder forever.

The only reason it didn't happen after 2015 was because you got a handy injection of Dangerfield.

By all means, keep believing Chris Scott can keep this old, slow team up at the top end of the ladder forever.

Lol I love how you say that like he’s not managed to do something amazing already in keeping them
There for a decade.

‘by all means keep thinking that Roger Federer will keep being a good tennis player forever.’

Lol I love how you say that like he’s not managed to do something amazing already in keeping them
There for a decade.

‘by all means keep thinking that Roger Federer will keep being a good tennis player forever.’
You seem to be the only Geelong fan on this site with this much praise for Chris Scott. Pretty sure most of the others wanted something more than a consistent 9 year run with no flags to show for it.

They’ll probably be top 4 but just aren’t scary anymore. They won’t win another flag with this group but I applaud them for not bottoming out as a lot of other clubs have done with much less success than Geelong.

The end will come, though. As a Sydney supporter I’m well aware that it can feel like your club will never leave the top 8 but it will happen with their age profile.

Nothing wrong with that but for those few who can’t wrap their heads around the possibility, it’ll hit pretty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’ll probably be top 4 but just aren’t scary anymore. They won’t win another flag with this group but I applaud them for not bottoming out as a lot of other clubs have done with much less success than Geelong.

The end will come, though. As a Sydney supporter I’m well aware that it can feel like your club will never leave the top 8 but it will happen with their age profile.

Nothing wrong with that but for those few who can’t wrap their heads around the possibility, it’ll hit pretty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. Had their chance to steal one last year and missed. Well and truly in decline, something only hastened by the rule changes and associated increase in speed of the game. Doesn't suit their slow midfeld, or their half backs who also lack zip. Age profile is a real worry, especially the way the game is being played. Unique home ground advantage will keep them around the mark for bottom half of the 8 though. Have put a lot of faith in the jermey cameron deal, and early signs are that it is looking like a disaster. The signs were there in 2020 that he was in decline, and now he is racking up the soft tissue injuries. He's 28 and there is a pretty good argument that the footy world has seen the best of jeremy cameron. Could easily be 0-3, and have played 2 of the teams that will finish bottom 3 this year in those games. Cooked in regards to being flag prospect

Spot on. Had their chance to steal one last year and missed. Well and truly in decline, something only hastened by the rule changes and associated increase in speed of the game. Doesn't suit their slow midfeld, or their half backs who also lack zip. Age profile is a real worry, especially the way the game is being played. Unique home ground advantage will keep them around the mark for bottom half of the 8 though. Have put a lot of faith in the jermey cameron deal, and early signs are that it is looking like a disaster. The signs were there in 2020 that he was in decline, and now he is racking up the soft tissue injuries. He's 28 and there is a pretty good argument that the footy world has seen the best of jeremy cameron. Could easily be 0-3, and have played 2 of the teams that will finish bottom 3 this year in those games. Cooked in regards to being flag prospect

Lollll

what because he’s missed 3 games.

yeah no good player has ever done that.

Dangerfield deal a disaster too because he’s missed three

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theyll finish top 4 this season although a few sides look like they have closed gap on them.
Not reading too much into their own form in the first 3 rounds .
They'll win most games they play at home.

Same old ball movement.
Same old backwards kicks.
Same old slow midfield.
Same old Rhys Stanley in the ruck.
No new ideas.

The only reason Melbourne aren't further ahead is because Bayley Fritsch is a hack who blew two certain goals.

Better than Dalhaus at this stage of their careers. Rohan is a spud but he provides a secondary marking target to prevent Hawk getting double teamed so much.

Soz. Neither are worth a feed. Dalhaus has lost a yard. Grohan is void of footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back