Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 93 44.3%
  • Dusty

Votes: 122 58.1%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 64 30.5%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 59 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
Pretty much every generation has seen a dynasty, we are a big club, home ground is the MCG, closest club to the MCG and have 13 flags. That’s why.

Oh and our song is the best.

And please Chris Scott has the most boring brand of footy behind Ross Lyon. Most of his tenure was boring chip it around slow play

Also your song is cringe, you sing “greatest team of all” when you have shit seasons. Whoever thought of that obviously didn’t think it through. Just like the $142m reno for 4,000 seats. Somebody needs to get fired for that, did you make solid gold toilet seats or something where did the money go?
Richmond's songs main claim is simply just stating the colours of the clubs logo. It's preschool level at best.

Also interesting about the dynasty claim, because by your own parameters Richmond's never had a dynasty :$

‘Our song is the best.’
‘We are a big club.’

This is school bus ‘my dad is better than your dad’ level depths being plumbed.
Manchester United are a big club: who the f**k cares. If I ever follow soccer I’m sure as shit not going to want to jump onboard their bandwagon just because a billion other bandwagon supporters did the same thing.
I’ve asked this a hundred times and no one has ever been able to answer it. What does ‘having lots of supporters’ do to make a club worth a lick of shit?

Does ‘I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here’ suddenly become a better show than the first season of Fargo because it got more viewers?

Richmond's songs main claim is simply just stating the colours of the clubs logo. It's preschool level at best.

Also interesting about the dynasty claim, because by your own parameters Richmond's never had a dynasty :$

Except we also mention our mascot and coming back from behind with grit and determination.

Our song is voted the best, or you can argue giants.

I mean your mascot is a cat for god sake. It does suit you though being a loner city.

Also idk what you mean it doesn’t fit my parameters.

3 in 4 is a dynasty, other dynasties have had 3 in 4. Care to expand on that?

Except we also mention our mascot and coming back from behind with grit and determination.

I mean your mascot is a cat for god sake. It does suit you though being a loner city.

You've told us in the past that Geelong has never had a dynasty because we didn't 3peat, so why doesn't that rule apply to Richmond?

You've told us in the past that Geelong has never had a dynasty because we didn't 3peat, so why doesn't that rule apply to Richmond?

No I’ve never said 3 peat I said B2B. Check other dynasties. Carlton had one, 79,81,82. (3 in 4)

No dynasty has had a 3 in 5 cause it’s not as impressive without a b2b. It also fits the criteria of a “ruling period”. Cats essentially has the equivalent of a substitute teacher.

If you switched teams you’d agree with me. You know deep down it’s true, but prefer to do make believe to cope. It’s ok.

‘We are a big club.’
Yeah, this is just silly in the AFL. Being a "big club" honestly only mattered back in the 80s, when money talked and it was a serious leg up to winning flags (see: Carlton and Hawthorn being able to afford WA and SA recruits).

Come the new millennium, and the worst-performed clubs of the last 20 years are Gold Coast, Essendon and Carlton. Being well-run outstrips being "big".

Yeah, this is just silly in the AFL. Being a "big club" honestly only mattered back in the 80s, when money talked and it was a serious leg up to winning flags (see: Carlton and Hawthorn being able to afford WA and SA recruits).

Come the new millennium, and the worst-performed clubs of the last 20 years are Gold Coast, Essendon and Carlton. Being well-run outstrips being "big".

Cats supporters not caring about being a big club. Shock horror. I’m convinced you guys ask the GFC board what you should think and say on a daily basis. I wonder who the hive mind is? Probably SHoking. 🤔

Cats supporters not caring about being a big club. Shock horror. I’m convinced you guys ask the GFC board what you should think and say on a daily basis. I wonder who the hive mind is? Probably SHoking. 🤔
Mate I started following this football club in 1993 and in no year in that entire time have I ever been able to book September holidays with confidence. I'd take that over being a "big" club any day.

Yes, we don’t. And yeah…. We need to be told told to not care.

See, being a big club doesn’t…… really make the supporting experience any better unless your experience revolves around cheering for:

• the bank balance of a club
  • the membership tally of a club
  • the attendance figures on the Austadiums website.

Most - not all admittedly as you prove - but most fans of sport tend to get the most satisfaction from the teams they support, from watching them win, in the chosen sport in which they participate. As such, being a ‘big’ club, doesn’t REALLY register high on a list of things normal people care about.

My NRL club is the richest in the code, along with Brisbane. I don’t give a shit - it hasn’t made us more supported as we are still a moderately supported team, and it hasn’t made us more successful though we have still enjoyed a reasonable amount of that. Meanwhile out at Penrith and down at Melbourne, they have enjoyed an equal or greater level of success and for the people who follow those clubs, they’ve had more enjoyment than the Broncos who haven’t won shit for 20 years.

You’ve never, ever been able to answer this question, Falcon. All you’ve ever been able to say is ‘a supporter of a non-Big club would say they don’t care about being a big club wouldn’t they.’

Try answering it.

What does being a ‘big club’ achieve?

In my time following AFL it’s done next to nothing for Carlton. I was 12 last time they won anything. I was 17 last time Essendon won anything. It’s done nothing for either of them but actually ENHANCE the shit they cop. See with st Kilda and the Dogs for example, when they don’t win, it doesn’t even matter no one bats an eyelid - there’s no twitter accounts with running tallies of days or years of failure. Essendon has a twitter account dedicated to how long since they won a final. Why? Because they’re a ‘big’ club.

Not being a big club hasn’t impacted us one iota. It hasn’t affected our results. Hasn’t affected our finances or ability to survive. Hasn’t affected our ability to still be in the comp. What else is there to worry about?

Mate I started following this football club in 1993 and in no year in that entire time have I ever been able to book September holidays with confidence. I'd take that over being a "big" club any day.

yeah see success is flags not how many times you bundle out in finals. You sound like a Pies supporter.

yeah see success is flags not how many times you bundle out in finals. You sound like a Pies supporter.
It's both, and I've seen both.

This isn't the old VFL, where there were only 12 teams, and 4 were basically non starters because they had no money. Flags aren't a given in a supporter's life any more, even if they barrack for a wealthy team. It's both the ride, and the destination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's both, and I've seen both.

This isn't the old VFL, where there were only 12 teams, and 4 were basically non starters because they had no money. Flags aren't a given in a supporter's life any more, even if they barrack for a wealthy team. It's both the ride, and the destination.

Yeah see again you talk the GFC point of view and just dismiss 100+ years of footy which also includes GAS’s whole career btw cause it suits you.

Yeah see again you talk the GFC point of view and just dismiss 100+ years of footy which also includes GAS’s whole career btw cause it suits you.
No, not at all.

I loved GAS's career, I had 5 on my back as a kid. But no doubt not winning a flag was a hole in his CV.

But even during that period, I still went home from the footy most weeks with a massive smile on my face. It's not about whether it "suits me" as such, it's just about whether the AFL needs to move on from its old school VFL era mentality regarding what defines success.

As Richmond found out the hard way in 2018, so much needs to go right to win a flag, especially in the modern era.

Such a small sample size considering how old the game is.

Even if you keep it up (which you won’t) you still need a couple of decades to catch up to us and that’s assuming we don’t win anymore.
Ok then the rabbles that are Essendon and Carlton > Tiggies. It's lose-lose I'm afraid for the Tiggies. History doesn't stack up with the best, and modern day ranks comfortably below Geelong. :sadv1:

Ok then the rabbles that are Essendon and Carlton > Tiggies. It's lose-lose I'm afraid for the Tiggies. History doesn't stack up with the best, and modern day ranks comfortably below Geelong. :sadv1:

Since 2017 we have more flags than you. See I can play that game too.

Since 2017 we have more flags than you. See I can play that game too.
No games. If we're talking all-time then the current day disappointments in Essendon and Carlton eclipse the Tiggies, and if we're just talking the current century then provincial Geelong eclipse the Tiggies.

You always ask Geelong supporters why they support Geelong, so given all you spout is 'premierships this' and 'premierships that', why do you support a club who has such a middling history and middling modern day record compared to the truly successful clubs? :think:

No games. If we're talking all-time then the current day disappointments in Essendon and Carlton eclipse the Tiggies, and if we're just talking the current century then provincial Geelong eclipse the Tiggies.

You always ask Geelong supporters why they support Geelong, so given all you spout is 'premierships this' and 'premierships that', why do you support a club who has such a middling history and middling modern day record compared to the truly successful clubs? :think:

And all time Tigers eclipse Cats and also since 2017. You goose, thanks for pointing that out 🤣

I thought you were a good troll. Go practice in a the Bay at bit more.

And all time Tigers eclipse Cats. You goose, thanks for pointing that out 🤣

I thought you were a good troll. Go practice in a the Bay at but more.
You didn't answer the question. Why not follow Essendon or Carlton? Their supporters are having a grand old time with 16 flags apiece.

Honestly mate, you sound like Donald Trump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back