Geelong vs pies final should not be at the mcg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Still have to catch both buses and a train now where previously it was just a train.

meanwhile pies supporters can just walk across from their local pub to the game.

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children-think-of-the-children.gif

So now you're just telling us how we think? I can guarantee you that we did not just think we would win and that had nothing to do with it. You believe what you want though, no point arguing with you when you can read the minds of all of us.
Grow up you twit. It’s a forum where opinions are expressed all the time.

There’s a peanut on here suggesting Geelong players are disadvantaged because when the game is at 4:30 at the MCG they can’t go to their favourite coffee shop in the morning. That has less credence than what I suggested. Oh, hold on, that twit is you.

It will make a mockery of the competition if the clear competition leader is playing its home final in front of 75 thousand screaming pies fans at the ground the pies play 15 games at each season when the pies finished fourth.

we can not have a repeat of the ridiculous 2017 finals series.

surely the competition has moved beyond the amateurish of playing finals where crowds are highest at the expense of fairness. Other professional sports do not do this.

note the grand final is a little different because there are no home sides in a grand final and the crowds arent heavily biased to mcg tenants due to fans travelling and all the neutral fans. So please dont bring grand final arguments into this thread as its not equivalent.

play the game at either kardinia and if thats not possible (it is) then play at least docklands.

for the sake of the competition.
It'd make a mockery of fans to lock a potential extra 65,000 fans out.

Grow up you twit. It’s a forum where opinions are expressed all the time.

There’s a peanut on here suggesting Geelong players are disadvantaged because when the game is at 4:30 at the MCG they can’t go to their favourite coffee shop in the morning. That has less credence than what I suggested. Oh, hold on, that twit is you.
You're saying Geelong supporters didn't turn up because we just thought we would win and I'm saying that's not the case. No need to call me a twit.

I also didn't say Geelong was disadvantaged because they couldn't go to their favourite coffee shop, I was saying there is a difference for the players between playing at Geelong and the G because of where they live. Not saying it's severe disadvantage just that there is a difference meanwhile pies players will be at their usual place of work.
You interpret that however you want and misrepresent what I'm saying and call me a twit, whatever.

If you need to misrepresent what I'm saying in response then it means you don't have a great argument.

All teams gain advantage from playing at home, that's kinda the point of them. The Melbourne clubs gave up some of their advantage for money, and now sook that other clubs (namely Geelong) can get both money and advantage. Geelong was not immune, we too signed onto become a Docklands tenant, but we backed out very quickly and thank god we did. What a s**t show that place is (financially for the tenant clubs).

As for your Pies, they get to use the same change rooms (ponsford stand) for both home and away games. They also have a contract with the MCG to play at least 14 games there (9 home, the rest away). Geelong do not play away games at KP, so the pies have the advantage here by at least 5 games worth (14 minus 9 for those playing at home).

"Consistently choking in finals" assumes we were a decent chance every year from 2012-2021. Outside of 2013 and 2020 we didn't have a team capable of winning a flag, and if you look at our H+A form you'd know that. Playing at KP didn't flatter us in 2015 when we missed the finals, and if you look at our H+A record outside of KP in that time, we're just as dominant as at KP (there's a post around here somewhere with the stats, trying to find it).

Genuine question here. You say Geelong initially signed up to play at Docklands and then backed out. I’m interested how they were able to do that when it seemed other clubs were practically railroaded out of their suburban grounds whether they liked it or not. Why did the AFL let you stay at Kardinia Park?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Call it what you want, but when tickets went on sale Tiger fans supporters snapped up the membership allocation and then when they went on sale to the general public Tiger fans snapped up what was left. Tiger fans were ready. You chumps down Cry-o Bay though... all you had come match day was "there were too many of them and they were too loud".

LateComposedCanary-size_restricted.gif

‘Cry-o Bay’, that’s hilarious, I love it

Genuine question here. You say Geelong initially signed up to play at Docklands and then backed out. I’m interested how they were able to do that when it seemed other clubs were practically railroaded out of their suburban grounds whether they liked it or not. Why did the AFL let you stay at Kardinia Park?

I assume it has something to do with all the money the state gov spent on our ground. the AFL holds all the contracts, so as long as 45 games get played at Docklands, don't think the stadium can request certain teams unless said teams have a side deal (like Essendon)

I assume it has something to do with all the money the state gov spent on our ground. the AFL holds all the contracts, so as long as 45 games get played at Docklands, don't think the stadium can request certain teams unless said teams have a side deal (like Essendon)
And good on you for keeping your ground. Very important to have a decent stadium in the Geelong area. But in September it's time to jump on the trains and enjoy the privilege of playing big games at one of the world's best stadiums.

I wouldn't say the AFL let Geelong stay at Kardinia Park but rather Geelong was able to resist pressure from the AFL and continue to make it work. If Geelong wasn't able to secure the stand development funding, I think it was going to close.
My understanding is teams couldn't accommodate the costs for maintaining suburban grounds as the AFL grew, the AFL solution was consolidating the grounds.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think between council, government, the club's and the AFL no-one could agree to fund suburban ground development.
I think Geelong was on the cusp of closing KP as well but were able to get funding support from the government and COGG (Geelong do also contribute for some costs but it is a small percentage). I think Geelong needed to fund the original Moorabool street stand development in order to maintain playing games at KP.
When the docklands were built we did sell some games to the ground but the deal was horrible, something like $7 pp vs $30 pp at KP so once the first contract ended and we continued development of KP we went back to Geelong.
Due to the poor deals that clubs have with Docklands I believe Geelong offered other teams to host games at KP but obviously no-one took up that opportunity.

I wouldn't say the AFL let Geelong stay at Kardinia Park but rather Geelong was able to resist pressure from the AFL and continue to make it work. If Geelong wasn't able to secure the stand development funding, I think it was going to close.
My understanding is teams couldn't accommodate the costs for maintaining suburban grounds as the AFL grew, the AFL solution was consolidating the grounds.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think between council, government, the club's and the AFL no-one could agree to fund suburban ground development.
I think Geelong was on the cusp of closing KP as well but were able to get funding support from the government and COGG (Geelong do also contribute for some costs but it is a small percentage). I think Geelong needed to fund the original Moorabool street stand development in order to maintain playing games at KP.
When the docklands were built we did sell some games to the ground but the deal was horrible, something like $7 pp vs $30 pp at KP so once the first contract ended and we continued development of KP we went back to Geelong.
Due to the poor deals that clubs have with Docklands I believe Geelong offered other teams to host games at KP but obviously no-one took up that opportunity.
Fairly sure Carlton just got booted. They'd only just drawn funds and redeveloped a stand, but didn't the league say tough luck, we aren't going to schedule any games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly sure Carlton just got booted. They'd only just drawn funds and redeveloped a stand, but didn't the league say tough luck, we aren't going to schedule any games?
I don't think that's right but happy to concede if it is. I thought they were the same as everyone, they were actually struggling financially and sold games to docklands to get some cash but then like other docklands tenants, got caught in a raw deal.

Kardinia Park not an option due to construction, but Cats finished top and should have the right to choose, isnt that the law of the AFL game.

Maybe Marvel, its not home ground to either, removes the 3 goal home ground advantage for Collingwood.

I dont care who wins but Cats finished top and earned the choice.

Collingwood will beat Geeelong at the MCG because no one at Geelong stood up.

Yep we all live in the inner suburbs in multi-million dollar apartments, the cream of upper-class society!!
Or you live in diamond creek and catch a single 50 minute train that drops you right in front of the ground. As compared for the one way two hour plus commutes for geelong supporters living down on the bellerine

Its either a fair competition or it isnt, its the choice of the clubs and the AFL to make that call.

Frankly all grounds should be the same dimensions, team finishing top gets venue choice.

All Victorian teams share MCG and Marvel on an equal basis.

Fair competition or FIXTURE thats the choice,

I opt for fair competition.

Fans dont have tv?

worked fine during covid.

and how come no one ever makes this point when the games at some 40 thousand seat stadium interstate?

Because the MCG isn't one of the grounds where interstate teams play some of their home games.

I don't think you're thinking ambitiously or far enough ahead anyway. Unless you are also expecting the granny to be at Kardinia Park, you're better off getting finals prep in at the G.

What about, kick Geelong out of the league if they don't want to follow the rules and give their license to Tassie, that way less teams in Vic and more states involved, everyone wins.
Because the AFL rules suit Collingwood, all is good. I remember the complaining when the MCG had to give up Preliminary finals also

Or you live in diamond creek and catch a single 50 minute train that drops you right in front of the ground. As compared for the one way two hour plus commutes for geelong supporters living down on the bellerine

Many of the Geelong supporters on the Bellarine and else where would have zero travel time if the game was at KP because they wouldn't be able to get a ticket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong vs pies final should not be at the mcg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back