Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit like the Bulldogs under Eade. Consistently made prelims but deep down everyone knew they weren't good enough.

A more unusual comparison would be the Aussie cricket team 2007-present. Still very good but just lacking that extra bit of greatness and not the dominant force they once were.

Geelong have had a damn good time of it in the past 10 years so they're supporters have nothing to complain about.

Surely questions begin to be asked.

Been there since 2011 and delivered nothing since the 2011 flag that any coach probably could have coached. Was praised for it at the time but in hindsight that team wasn't cooked like many thought in 2010.

His finals record is pretty awful. Two years in a row now his team hasn't shown up to play for a grand final spot.

Adelaide totally picked apart his structure tonight from the start too. Nothing was done to stop the run of the Crows.
Find me one coach in the system that'd have made us win tonight when the problem was almost solely turnovers.
he can have any game plan and strategy he wants but if we let them have 10.3 from turnovers by early in the 3rd then the outcome would be the same for whoever was coaching.

As for the post 2011 stuff, well despite pensioning off a whole horde of premiership stars he keeps getting us there.
I think the biggest issue is some of the players, the other part is the lack of a cohesive forward structure due to no CHF and small forwards.

Somewhat I feel he's overachieving the last couple of seasons, the 2nd tier don't stand up often enough.

What's their first quarter records in those 3 wins 8 losses? Dare say it's pretty poor.

Chris Scott in my opinion has a massive issue motivating his players and getting them to be willing to run through brick walls at the start of a game. Concentration (i.e. 'flicking the switch') is a massive issue - sure Dangerwood and their fellow guns (Duncan, Hawkins, Tuohy etc) can win games late (v North, Hawks, Port, Freo) after being beaten or subdued early, but it's a massive cry from coming back v a top 4 team in a final. They even did it v Essendon and fell short.

So yeah I reckon they just have a problem of starting games switched on and it shows them up in finals. Time and time again. 8.7 to 7.9 in the 2nd and 3rd quarters tonight (the last was a write-off as the intensity fell out of the game after Jenkins sealed it early), they controlled aspects of the match. But they were playing catch-up footy against the top team...

this year we were 4 or 5 games (north (massive final quarter comeback against a potential wooden spooner), hawks and freo (missing winning shots on the siren), port (dixon forgetting to count to 30) and GWS (hawkins just squeaking a tying point through)) away from finishing 10th-12th. yet we scraped those games and finished 2nd. not as good as the record suggested, perhaps.

great team when on, rather ordinary team when not.

can beat anyone by 10 goals, and can lose to anyone by 10 goals.

What's their first quarter records in those 3 wins 8 losses? Dare say it's pretty poor.

Chris Scott in my opinion has a massive issue motivating his players and getting them to be willing to run through brick walls at the start of a game. Concentration (i.e. 'flicking the switch') is a massive issue - sure Dangerwood and their fellow guns (Duncan, Hawkins, Tuohy etc) can win games late (v North, Hawks, Port, Freo) after being beaten or subdued early, but it's a massive cry from coming back v a top 4 team in a final. They even did it v Essendon and fell short.

So yeah I reckon they just have a problem of starting games switched on and it shows them up in finals. Time and time again. 8.7 to 7.9 in the 2nd and 3rd quarters tonight (the last was a write-off as the intensity fell out of the game after Jenkins sealed it early), they controlled aspects of the match. But they were playing catch-up footy against the top team...

Yep, Brad has a worse ability at motivation. There's just something missing with the Scott bros.

Exactly

Just not good enough

Its.actually an indictment rest of the competition that a clearly flawed team.like Geelong is making top 4

Agree, and that's not meant to be disrespectful to the current Geelong side. But the league is so weak compared to previous seasons in general. Geelong of 07 to 11 would flog every team by 10 goals minimum.

This is very simple they play 10 games at KP and win 9 of them not because they are a great team its just that there style of football suits that ground Then they beat Brisbane twice also beat some of the lower placed Victoriain clubs and they finish in the top four They get to the MCG or a wide and bigger ground cannot play there style of game like they do at Kardina park amd get smashed Its not rocket science

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is very simple they play 10 games at KP and win 9 of them not because they are a great team its just that there style of football suits that ground Then they beat Brisbane twice also beat some of the lower placed Victoriain clubs and they finish in the top four They get to the MCG or a wide and bigger ground cannot play there style of game like they do at Kardina park amd get smashed Its not rocket science
Not quite accurate

Had good wins mcg v Melbourne Hawks and Swans in a final

Just not good enough pointy end

Exactly

Just not good enough

Its.actually an indictment rest of the competition that a clearly flawed team.like Geelong is making top 4

It really is. How a squad like GWS's finishes below Geelong on the ladder after the home and away is mind blowing. People talk about teams deserving to be there having played through the home and away but then you get situations like Geelong '17 Hawthorn '16 and Freo '15 (how they won minor premierships still blows my mind). All 3 of those teams hardly deserved to play finals let alone be top 2-3.

Average coach held up by one of the best players the game had seen in a long time. Without Danger they would battle for a top 8 spot. Just too many passengers in the end and not enough young talent coming through.
Were they the only club to not have a representative in the 22 under 22 team?

Excellent top 10 gets them there but weak bottom ten gets exposed at the pointy end. Need more forward options and to strengthen those weak links or they'll continually drop short.

Like Hawthorn end of day high finsihes over a period of time means lack of top tier draft picks

Over time that has an impact

Way system works. Cant be up forever.

Key question for Geelong is whether continue top up approach or take 1 step back

It really is. How a squad like GWS's finishes below Geelong on the ladder after the home and away is mind blowing. People talk about teams deserving to be there having played through the home and away but then you get situations like Geelong '17 Hawthorn '16 and Freo '15 (how they won minor premierships still blows my mind). All 3 of those teams hardly deserved to play finals let alone be top 2-3.

It's a simple explanation. The draft was totally ruined by GC and GWS. It put a massive hole in development/list profile for all other clubs when those players were maturing into senior players. Look at the years you've named and work out he age of the compromised draftees.

Spread all those top picks that went to the expansion clubs back over the other clubs, and suddenly the established order aren't able to hold on for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back