Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Scott's press conferences are awesome.

He's a very confused man. He goes from playing the role of wise old sage with little pearls of wisdom that are presumably supposed to impress us all, but are either lame cliches or nonsensical gibberish. I'm still recovering from 'resultist'.
Then he flips to being an emotional, reactive normal person. Then he kind of checks himself for being normal, and flips into some weird riddler character that says stuff like 'I'm not going to sit here and talk about the statistics to you....but when you have the ball in front half for 84% of the time and go Inside 50 39 times blah blah blah...' Appreciate you not talking statistics to us Braddles.

He was asked how it feels, and he started explaining how it feels, then cut himself off and said 'You can use all types of words to describe it...but it doesn't matter..'

Thanks Brad. It does matter. That's literally what answering a question is. You use all sorts of words to describe stuff. That's the whole point. People ask you things because they want to know what you think. You then use all sorts of words to communicate your thoughts.

Man, he's a classic.

I thought his "12 wins is the goal" comment in 2016 after we started 9-0/10-1 was awful, but his '8 year plan' pearler earlier this year probably topped it.

I thought his "12 wins is the goal" comment in 2016 after we started 9-0/10-1 was awful, but his '8 year plan' pearler earlier this year probably topped it.
He's like ChatGPT gone wrong.

Questions come at him and instead of just answering them, he starts just saying the first random things that pop into his head

It's quite odd.

Essendon fans are at the confused fever dream point now.
Amaze Its Beautiful GIF

How did you retain your spot in the GF side if you're always watching Essendon instead of playing?

Are you like the Clark Keating of local footy?
It wasn’t a footy Grand Final. I played indoor cricket at a reasonable level for many years, and the games were always on weeknights (Mondays, Tuesdays etc). For some reason on this one-off occasion in 2007, the Grand Final was played on a Sunday afternoon. We won.

This will be the 22nd year in a row that we have finished 7th or lower on the ladder. Every year from 2003-2024 inclusive.

22 years in a row.

To put that in perspective, there is a 33% chance of finishing 1st-6th, and a 66% chance of finishing 7th-18th. So, the 66% chance has come up 22 years in a row, assuming all clubs have an equal chance in a salary cap/draft competition.

The chance of this happening is 1 in 9,345

So, either we are incredibly unlucky, or there is something very, very wrong.

The incredible part is, during those entire 22 years, I've missed two games - Round one 2010 versus Geelong when I was best man at a wedding. And another in 2007 versus Adelaide at Marvel, when I was playing in a Grand Final myself. Something tells me I haven't really got value for money. Glutton for punishment.
Don't give up.

You could still finish 6th this year.

Never rated Brad Scott or Vossy - great players, average at best coaches. The fact Easendon and Carlton are where they are doesn't surprise me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Essendon list is starting to get a distinctly Brad Scott feel to it. Mainly competent footballers who weren't quite good enough to get anywhere good at other clubs have been recruited.

Oldstein 2024 contract expiry
Shiel 2024
Hind 2024
Kelly 2024
Wright 2027
Weideman 2024
Gresham 2026
McKay 2029
Setterfield 2024
Duursma 2027
Caldwell 2024

And one guy who did play in a flag.

Stringer 2024

At least a lot of those expire this year.

Who has the club committed to for at least 3 more years?

Wright 2027
Gresham 2026
McKay 2029
Duursma 2027

Merrett 2027
Martin 2027
Redman 2028
Langford 2026
Ridley 2026
Parish 2028

You probably wouldn't say there are a lot of stars in that lot. Some pretty good players of course.

Other mainly young players taken in rd 1 of the draft:

McGrath 2024
Perkins 2024
Hobbs 2025
Tsatas 2024
Laverde 2025
Caddy 2025
Cox 2024
Reid 2025

There looks a bit of calibre in this lot, but most of the better ones remain very young. But be warned Bombers, the Scott way is coming. The Scott brothers have shown a liking to only want to coach players who are easy to coach. 28+ years olds mainly. ;)
Not wrong at all. What were the board thinking ?!

At what point, after all the President, CEO, Coaches and fitness personnel changes, do Essendon finally look at the reason for the mediocracy?
afl yes GIF by Essendon FC
Wonder if Dodo has kept some receipts from the supplements program.
Seems like the only rational explanation.

At what point, after all the President, CEO, Coaches and fitness personnel changes, do Essendon finally look at the reason for the mediocracy?
afl yes GIF by Essendon FC

Hopefully never.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back