Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey folks, I appreciate your opinions regarding the alternate audio calls for the finals. Will opt for SEN when it's there, but will continue to sample, too.

I think SEN was the best call of this GF.
Whateley's call was easily the best and I liked Cornes blunt, honest opinions.

3AW and ABC are usually good but their calls this year really lacked something.

I had no idea who was on the ABC call other than the senile Malthouse.

Tim Lane was professional but he lacked excitement. Lloyd the only highlight of 3AW.

MMM good cos Howie a Cats fan but Darcy always seem to hate us and his call shows it.
Pretty sure Mark Howard is a Hawthorn supporter

Just on the grand final. Does the winning team receive any financial prize from the AFL, or is the only windfall from a premiership the prestige and sales of merchandise?

Just on the grand final. Does the winning team receive any financial prize from the AFL, or is the only windfall from a premiership the prestige and sales of merchandise?
Just endless remarks on how they would have been beaten if it weren't for the ARC is all they get.

i have one unwritten rule where i never rewatch highlights of a game that i know the result to and i made an exception for this clip

i felt many things watching this clip but the main one was guilt during the first 25 seconds for all the shit i’ve spoken of this club since the 2013 prelim final man.

what the **** was i actually complaining about making final after final? how embarrassing lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was in the cats shop and on the tv was playing Geelong vs Sydney 2005 Nick Davis, surely there’s a better game of recent between the two sides they could display? Maybe a grand final?
I would have had a stern talking to the shop manager if I was you. That's not on.

Last edited:

How impressive is that?
It’s one thing to have cattle with talent - it’s the added value the support group bring to the table and strategic element that sets up success.
Couldn’t be more impressed by Kelly - loved him as a player and love what he brings into the coaching arena.
I f*** love this Club❤️

i have one unwritten rule where i never rewatch highlights of a game that i know the result to and i made an exception for this clip

i felt many things watching this clip but the main one was guilt during the first 25 seconds for all the s**t i’ve spoken of this club since the 2013 prelim final man.

what the * was i actually complaining about making final after final? how embarrassing lol
Joel played in 40 finals from 07 - 22.

St Kilda as a club has played in 54 Finals from 1873.

We got to see and be involved in 14 less finals over 16 years than the Saints have in 149 years.

And yes people complained ....a lot...

not saying some issues didnt have reasoned POV.... but still...

And amazing period capped by his 4th flag and first as Captain.

And while Joel is done... the period may not be.

GO Catters

We got to see and be involved in 14 less finals over 16 years than the Saints have in 149 years.

GO Catters
Actually, there were no finals in the VFA until 1896 when they couldn’t split the top two teams on the ladder. The VFL split away in 1897 and introduced a finals system, and St Kilda have played in 54 finals since then.

GO Catters
25yo for 13 preliminary finals. Still complained. Miss the 8 next year and that’s still one prelim per every two years of my existence.

Feel free to pull me into line if I start sooking about Chris Scott again. To win two premierships with basically two different squads at the same club puts him up there with the best of coaches.

I think SEN was the best call of this GF.
Whateley's call was easily the best and I liked Cornes blunt, honest opinions.

3AW and ABC are usually good but their calls this year really lacked something.

I had no idea who was on the ABC call other than the senile Malthouse.

Tim Lane was professional but he lacked excitement. Lloyd the only highlight of 3AW.

MMM good cos Howie a Cats fan but Darcy always seem to hate us and his call shows it.

Just on this - I thought, and think, that Brian Taylor kind of sucks when he's commentating on T.V. However, I listened to the MMM call of the qualifying final vs Collingwood last night and I actually liked Brian's call of the game. Of course that game was tight all night and not a blowout. I realise it would be hard to call a blowout in any kind of an excited tone.

But there's this; radio calling has to be more descriptive than the television call. A radio call coupled with T.V footage always seems better for that reason I think.

But there's this; radio calling has to be more descriptive than the television call. A radio call coupled with T.V footage always seems better for that reason I think.

Yes, definitely. And the radio people always seem to specifically focus on the game, whereas TV people often prefer talking about each other, the weather, other teams, individual statistics, maybe test out their latest comedy routines... At which point I'm usually in a murderous rage and want to strangle them.

When watching Duke NCAA sports, I used to have a wonderful setup where I could stream the radio coverage over the network from a USB FM receiver, then delay the audio to synchronize with the TV all using VLC. Some underlying codec library changed in an update, and the audio broke. I never figured out how to fix it. :cryingcat:

I've been reading with a degree of delight the updated Rogers results stats, and he's been updating several of his many categories for the end of 2022, it's a mighty impressive database of fascinating stats that are so much more enjoyable when you're living the Premiership glow.

But the Selwood era, it's just remarkable what we've seen from our club. To draw from one of the stats on Rogers result's page, for example Geelong's last 200 wins have taken 286 games to accumulate, indeed it started with the very first game of Chris Scott's career, Rd 1 2011.
Carlton by contrast have to go back to last century to look for the games that were needed to make up their last 200 wins, Round 14 1999 specifically.

As i get older and realise that there are many Cats fans who never knew of the spasmodic and sometimes downright ordinary Cats sides that played in the 70's and 80's, before the Blight era, the last three decades have been special to see. Just about the full gamut of seeing a club, brilliant highs scoring, the thrill of watching superstars like both Abletts, and the professionalism and pure leadership of the likes of Harley, Ling and Joel. If i use Sky as an example, at 25 y/o you'd have only been a toddler when Geelong were a basketcase at the turn of the century, needing all the negotiating skills of Costa and Cook to stave off almost being foreclosed, or at least relocated to Melbourne.

Now, what we have is a footballing powerhouse, franked by having players want to come here, even from the highest profile club in the land due to our culture and unswerving aim of succeeding. Despite the setbacks in finals in the mid-late teens, Geelong never stopped putting it out there, think of all the other sides that would be up, but burn out. Sydney have been probably a noble exception, but they've had a few poorer years than Geelong in the last 15 or so. Many sides say like the Bulldogs and Saints make PF's and GF's, but fell away a bit. Dogs came back with a Flag, but it was always a sense of a 'flash in the pan', they never really gave an aura of being a dominant all-conquering side. Geelong has given us fans that aura, the feeling of knowing we are the best, the Greatest team of all. We play the best footy, smash sides at times with imperious air, and generally are hard to beat.

What more could you ask for from your sporting team. We're blessed to follow this club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back