Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers best was still very good last year.

I watched the kayo mini of our game against them the other day and we won but they were very good. Their backline looks a little thin but still has Balta and Grimes. Their forwards line is sharp, nankervis good, midfield should be good this year.

Melbourne also. I mean we ended up beating Melbourne by a fair margin but you look at the passages of play they executed, they have done brilliant midfielders. Brilliant rucks and mids, solid key defenders though a little thin for smaller defenders. Forward line just needs to go through Pickett and Fritsch

Midfield will be better with taranto and hopper but they will still need to change their gameplan to be better at clearances.

Defence is thin for me tarrant and grimes are on their last legs (last year for them) broad is ageing, vlastuin is constantly injured, shut down short and baker and they dont have much. Key forward depth is non existent riewoldt is ageing but they have nothing behind him if him or lynch get injured i can see them really struggling.
Nank is constantly playing injured but they cant manage his load as soldo is injured a lot and a spud anyway. Im surprised they didnt bring another ruck and a key forward in so their list balance doesnt enthuse me.
If bolton fires and martin is back to his best yes they will threaten at times but too many of their over 30s are on the decline so i can see them missing finals.
In that context i think they took a big risk trading a future 1st for hopper (im glad we didnt do it).

As for melb their midfield is still awesome and their defence very good but forward line shit and they did nothing to address it. Brown gawn and fritsch would have to have some of the worst defensive pressure in the whole league.
Their best chance is for gawn and grundy and the mids to beat up on teams at 6-6-6 and score directly from centre bounces because i cant see them generating enough forward half turnovers to kick winning scores.

This may be of interest - Mongrel Punt Geelong Cats AFL Season in Review - 2022: A chronicle of Geelong's journey to the AFL premiership in 2022 eBook : Meyers, HB: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

:)

"A collection of all Mongrel Punt articles from the conclusion of the 2021 season through to the conclusion of the 2022 season pertaining to the Geelong Cats and their journey to the AFL premiership.

Includes articles published on The Mongrel Punt website, as well as unpublished game reviews and members-only content."

Just finished reading it. Did enjoy it. Just wish all our games were covered.

Good points -
In depth analysis of a lot of our games from the year (note - not all games).
Author is a big fan of Joel Selwood (which is a surprise considering a Hawthorn supporter)
Humorous article from Authors wife on her take on watching the GF. She seems to have as much interest in the football as my wife does. :D

Bad points -
Needed to be proofread. Minor punctuation issues I can ignore but mixing up Tom Lonergan with Sam Lonergan (former Essendon player) is unforgivable. The particular game article mentioned Cameron going to the hospital as a precaution, and Tom Lonergan's kidney injury is mentioned...but he called him Sam Lonergan. :thumbsdown:
In one of the game reviews (I think vs Port) author goes on a rant about James Sicily and the possibility of him being an AA selection. In the article he was talking about Tom Stewart and was doing comparisons, but no need for the Sicily rant in a Geelong v Port article. James Sicily makes an appearance in other articles too. So, some obsession there!

The other thing my mate said was that his son was in high school with Dusty and everyone said he was and absolute bullying, Lloyd Bridges. For how the Tigers have turned him around is remarkable. He also agreed that Dusty has lost interest somewhat.

Would be close to my most unfavourite player. I hate the tongue thing, but sadly he is not alone.
It will be interesting how he handles the GF loss. It just looked like he'd had every ounce of cockiness knocked out of him by the end. I'm sure he pictured himself having a massive day. Looked to be the most demoralised at the end.

He'll still be a good player but will be interested to see if it does affect him.

The other thing my mate said was that his son was in high school with Dusty and everyone said he was and absolute bullying, Lloyd Bridges. For how the Tigers have turned him around is remarkable. He also agreed that Dusty has lost interest somewhat.
I work with someone who met him on a trip overseas through mutual friends. She reported that he is as thick as two bricks and she couldn't even have a conversation with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I work with someone who met him on a trip overseas through mutual friends. She reported that he is as thick as two bricks and she couldn't even have a conversation with him.
Seems like Richmond was a perfect fit. Their supporters think he's a Rhode's Scholar.

Watched the GF again yesterday, Is this the most happy bonded group we have ever had, they all just seemed so happy for each other....just looked that way

The relentless cheerfulness of Jeremy Cameron and Isaac Smith in particular might have lot to do with that.

Close involved in a LOT of them.

His score involvements are off the charts.
He just does the basics very well and has an amazing feel for the game - the blocking, attack on the footy, creativity, taps ons and unselfish nature of his game are just what we needed.
Add to that his amazing endurance , tackling ability and the new found willingness to back himself around goal and we have an elite small forward playing a crucial role in making us a more potent team.
Have loved him since his debut over here in atrocious conditions where he handled the footy like it was a 30 degree dry day :thumbsu:

His score involvements are off the charts.
He just does the basics very well and has an amazing feel for the game - the blocking, attack on the footy, creativity, taps ons and unselfish nature of his game are just what we needed.
Add to that his amazing endurance , tackling ability and the new found willingness to back himself around goal and we have an elite small forward playing a crucial role in making us a more potent team.
Have loved him since his debut over here in atrocious conditions where he handled the footy like it was a 30 degree dry day :thumbsu:

One of the biggest stand outs with Close aswell as Stengle, over what you already mentioned, is they are so clean.
They never waste possession and always seem to have that knack of tapping the ball perfectly into space, perfectly weighted etc.
Just, super clean forwards.

One of the biggest stand outs with Close aswell as Stengle, over what you already mentioned, is they are so clean.
They never waste possession and always seem to have that knack of tapping the ball perfectly into space, perfectly weighted etc.
Just, super clean forwards.
And both modest young men despite their talent and contribution being way ahead of many 'stars' at other clubs. You can't help feeling pleased for them.

This may not be directly football or GF related, but me thinks someone may still be a little bitter about 24/09/2022

Confused Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back