Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 93 44.3%
  • Dusty

Votes: 122 58.1%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 64 30.5%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 59 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:

Not that its important to this discussion, but for the electorate of Geelong Labor have a 30%+ hold on TPP I feel that's the opposite of marginal haha
Yeah the actually electorate of Geelong has been safe Labor for awhile. They originally got money pumped in because of Bracks, which good on them for that.

Geelong have the most significant advantage in the the comp.

Get to play 7 or 8 games at their boutique ground against non-Vic and lower drawing local clubs. Get to play their 'bigger' home games at the MCG in front of large crowds - great training ground for finals.

They literally have the perfect mix. The kind of fixturing other clubs could only dream of.

Have been gifted money hand-over-fist, while community sports clubs struggle and die after begging for funding to improve infrastructure. I play at a club in a major regional town who still gave clubrooms with SHARED SHOWERS (which are falling apart and dangerous). Lovely getting nude with the opposition after a hard fought and tense clash.

No doubt Geelong have done plenty right, but they have been set up to a point where it is near impossible to fail.

You’ve just defeated your own argument.
‘Most significant’ and ‘non-Vic’ in the same sentence. If they’re interstate, we should probably be able to beat them whether we meet them at KP or Docklands or the MCG, right?

How many times do you need to be told this? We have the best AWAY record in the league. We have won at a percentage, AWAY from Kardinia Park, that would get us into the finals in all but 2 of the last 20 seasons.

Extrapolated out across all those years, our winning percentage playing exclusively at grounds not in Geelong, is over 60 per cent. Any team with that sort of record AWAY from their home ground, will naturally have an increased win percentage AT their home ground, especially when it is used for games against interstate sides and often battling Melbourne teams who we would be expected to beat anyway.

It’s 18 seasons and 450 games worth of evidence mate. How much more do you need before you accept it.

OP is right, we should give Sydney and GWS some sort of boost like academies, extra cash and so on.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Geelong have the most significant advantage in the the comp.

Get to play 7 or 8 games at their boutique ground against non-Vic and lower drawing local clubs. Get to play their 'bigger' home games at the MCG in front of large crowds - great training ground for finals.

They literally have the perfect mix. The kind of fixturing other clubs could only dream of.

Have been gifted money hand-over-fist, while community sports clubs struggle and die after begging for funding to improve infrastructure. I play at a club in a major regional town who still gave clubrooms with SHARED SHOWERS (which are falling apart and dangerous). Lovely getting nude with the opposition after a hard fought and tense clash.

No doubt Geelong have done plenty right, but they have been set up to a point where it is near impossible to fail.

The only reason why Geelong get true HGA (Home Ground Advantage) every time they play at their home ground is due to their location. They are a Victorian club that's not based in Melbourne, they are based in Geelong. It has nothing to do with Geelong getting a leg up from the AFL.

It is what it is.

I think Geelong and Hawthorn have a mutual respect as well run clubs on and off the field.

Lots of clubs consider Geelong to be their rivals, but Geelong only think that about Hawthorn I reckon.

Glad we're unlikely to meet the Hawks this year :)

I'd put Sydney in the same boat, too, been very strong for a long time.

I read the op and think - are you serious? Are you actually this stupid or trolling (which is really a tautology)

Prior to 2007, Geelong hadn’t won the flag for 40+ years, lost countless GFs and were laughed at for their lack of success. Sleepy hollow, the handbaggers etc.

Since then they’ve won 4 flags and been in the finals nearly every year. No other team has that sustained success. They should be admired and looked at as an example. I look at my club and think what can we do to be more like Geelong.

Well done cats - respect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read the op and think - are you serious? Are you actually this stupid or trolling (which is really a tautology)

Prior to 2007, Geelong hadn’t won the flag for 40+ years, lost countless GFs and were laughed at for their lack of success. Sleepy hollow, the handbaggers etc.

Since then they’ve won 4 flags and been in the finals nearly every year. No other team has that sustained success. They should be admired and looked at as an example. I look at my club and think what can we do to be more like Geelong.

Well done cats - respect

This. No one gave a shit when we weren’t winning anything or having any real presence at the pointy end of the competition

This. No one gave a shit when we weren’t winning anything or having any real presence at the pointy end of the competition
No one was bitching about a unfair HGA too untill we started our run the last 20 years …hell even this year with the lack of home wins and it’s still being used as a reason for being in the top 4

Just posters looking at any stupid reasons as to why the cats are successful and their club isn’t

Last edited:
OP is right, we should give Sydney and GWS some sort of boost like academies, extra cash and so on.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE
This is the stupid thing about the premise of the thread - if the OP is correct what do you actually do about it?
  1. Give all Geelong opposition a 5 goal head start?
  2. Make Geelong play with 16 players?
  3. Geelong have to sit out the first quarter and the opposition only play themselves?
  4. 6 Geelong players a quarter have to wear blindfolds?
What do you actually do to stop it?

If Geelong are too good, it is up to everyone else to catch them. 1 premiership in 13 years is hardly evidence that they are unbeatable.

How many home games did we win again this year? Hardly the advantage you’re making it out to be and take away the home wins most years and we still make the finals

Imagine sooking about a team getting home games which is less than any other side that gets 11 home games while the cats get 9

Lots of sour grapes
Every other Victorian club shares their 'home ground' with another team.

You reckon we get a huge advantage playing Essendon or North as a home game?

Geelong have a massive advantage that no other club in the the comp gets.

I'm not saying it's 'rigged' or something needs to be done about it. As another poster stated, "it is what it is".

But the advantage should be recognised and not dismissed as sour grapes 🙄

Every other Victorian club shares their 'home ground' with another team.

You reckon we get a huge advantage playing Essendon or North as a home game?

Geelong have a massive advantage that no other club in the the comp gets.

I'm not saying it's 'rigged' or something needs to be done about it. As another poster stated, "it is what it is".

But the advantage should be recognised and not dismissed as sour grapes 🙄
Geelong did offer to share KP with the Bulldogs a few years ago, they chose Ballarat instead

It’s a very impressive record, the industry is often referred to as high performance and there’s a huge focus on flags but they are damn hard to win and this level of sustained success is outrageous in an 18 team comp with equalisation measures.

For what it’s worth, I think the location Geelong is in, the lifestyle that can support as well as Geelongs Coterie business connections help immensely with player attraction and retention but none of that matters if your coaching and development is rubbish. Geelongs coaching and development is elite, as is their talent identification with mature age players.

Irrespective of their results from here for them, another successful season.
Thanks for the lovely comments, m6

Best thing that can happen now for Geelong haters is for Hawkins to come back. Their structure was awful with him playing and not contributing and he dragged down Cameron. As soon as Hawkins got injured Geelongs revival started. But now he's back and ready to play will Chris Scott have the grapefruits to do whats best for the team and leave him out

Mooney was ruled out in 2011.

Hawkins will rule himself out if Scott doesn't. He's getting fit as a 'break glass's option, not pushing for best 22 selection

I'm still convinced this universe is a simulation and I'm going to wake up soon to find a beautiful world where Geelong are shit and there are parents who aren't naming their kids Gryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back