List Mgmt. Geelong's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

AliceCat

Team Captain
Jan 22, 2014
Northern Territory
AFL Club
Geelong
Was excited when it was announced that we were getting access to a slice of the NT (East Arnhem Land). Since then I have heard and seen very little.

Was reminded of the fact while up here visiting Maningrida (West Arnhem Land - Essendon's zone) when I bumped into the Essendon CEO last week. Essendon are about to make some serious and smart investments in infrastructure, training programs and staff. Plus they are planning on building a 'Michael Long House' in Melbourne. They are deadly serious about nabbing another 'Walla' or two.

The footy talent up here in Arnhem Land is insane. Has to be seen to be believed. The transition to life down south is the missing link. I believe Essendon are on the right track and once in place will be drafting out of their zone every 2 or 3 drafts all things going well.

Hope the we have similar plans in the works.

I'm not sure if there is any formal partnership set up, but with Cats partnership with Deakin Uni and their elite training facilities out at Waurn Ponds, Deakin Uni has set up the Deakin Institute of Koorie Education (IKE). I know a couple weeks back Deakin Uni and the IKE hosted the National Indigenous Unigames and Nakia Cockatoo was the event ambassador and was apparently fantastic with all the young indigenous athletes which is amazing considering he is only 20 years of age himself. Also Quinton Narkle was apparently close with a lot of the students athletes and came down to support which was great as he had only just done his knee at the time.

Would make sense for the club to work closely with IKE to help foster these young indigenous footballers. And with young leaders like Cockatoo and Parfitt leading the way I think we are in good hands.

...................................................Also Quinton Narkle was apparently close with a lot of the students athletes and came down to support which was great as he had only just done his knee at the time....................................................................

OK I was right out of line with my delisting discussions in the other thread. Foot in mouth again!

The boy looks like he is made of the right stuff to get past his knee problem.

I'm not sure if there is any formal partnership set up, but with Cats partnership with Deakin Uni and their elite training facilities out at Waurn Ponds, Deakin Uni has set up the Deakin Institute of Koorie Education (IKE). I know a couple weeks back Deakin Uni and the IKE hosted the National Indigenous Unigames and Nakia Cockatoo was the event ambassador and was apparently fantastic with all the young indigenous athletes which is amazing considering he is only 20 years of age himself. Also Quinton Narkle was apparently close with a lot of the students athletes and came down to support which was great as he had only just done his knee at the time.

Would make sense for the club to work closely with IKE to help foster these young indigenous footballers. And with young leaders like Cockatoo and Parfitt leading the way I think we are in good hands.

Having the NT guys on the list now is great and no doubt they would be fantastic mentors for prospective talent. I'm not heaps familiar with the IKE - maybe it could be set up like a Michael Long Centre?

We need to take this zone seriously. We all lost our nut over GWS having access to large areas of footy heartland. Now we have our own piece of heartland. Why aren't we setting up serious pathways and developing talent?

My fear is that we have put it in the too hard basket and will only do the tockenistic stuff - thus missing a genuine opportunity to get our hands on developing a heap of McDonald-Tipungwuti or Rioli types.

I watched GFL reserves about 6 weeks ago Newtown v Lara and Dhurrkay was playing kicked 7 goals.

left footer electrifying pace I actually had a chat to him.

Wojo was also drinking at the bar for what its worth

I watched GFL reserves about 6 weeks ago Newtown v Lara and Dhurrkay was playing kicked 7 goals.

Is Dhurrkay in our zone academy or just a local indigenous Geelong region player?

Didn't he die in a car accident?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed there are a couple of guys in the NT under 16 squad that would be in our zone too, no idea what potential they have though

Blake Schlensog, the ruckman who made the Vic Country under 18's squad is a member of our next generation academy. We have first rights if he's good enough to make it.

The most recent TAC game.

Vic Country representative Blake Schlensog was the standout tall player on the ground competing hard and following up his ruck work (21 disposals) while also helping out the defence staying strong taking some quality intercept marks to finish with eight overall. Geelong’s other Vic Country representative and bottom ager Cooper Stephens was the standout midfielder for the day winning the contested ball at stoppages and also working hard to get on the outside. He had the ball on a string in the first three minutes to finish with 20 disposals. Sam Torpy kicked Geelong’s first goal late in the third quarter and finished the game with two of his team’s three goals, working hard to also collect 17 disposals.

#48 Blake Schlensog

Schlensog was the dominant big man on the ground doing everything you could ask from a big, strong ruckman. He was surprisingly clean at ground level for his size and his attack on the ball after a tap was very good. Schlensog took several intercept marks in defence showing his ability to work behind the ball to help his defenders, his kicking after a mark was also good with some low penetrating passes hitting their mark. He should also be judged for his rucking which on many occasions was effective, he had one tap behind in the first quarter which was noticeably impressive. Schlensog did his chances of a Vic Country spot no harm with his game, you could see how much he wanted the responsibility with the ball.

Blake Schlensog, the ruckman who made the Vic Country under 18's squad is a member of our next generation academy. We have first rights if he's good enough to make it.

The most recent TAC game.

I have been mentioning this kid for a while.. has not got picked game 1 ..but hopefully we will see him get some action thru the champs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back