No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

The court of public opinion is fairly irrelevant. If the AFL knows and the club knows, then there may be items they are protecting from the public due to how offensive it might be.
They aren't protecting the public, they are trying to protect their brand. Just being transparent will always get you better results.

They aren't protecting the public, they are trying to protect their brand. Just being transparent will always get you better results.
Haven’t followed this thread, not sure if previously said… they have known for weeks and it gets leaked at peak off season distraction time that is an AFL influenced crescendo of trade week. Spot on Yardie.

Perhaps. But if the public knew 90% of what gets swept under the carpet then the league would be ****ed.

Perhaps. But if the public knew 90% of what gets swept under the carpet then the league would be ****ed.
If the AFL want to play in the moral space then maybe they live up to those values and be ****ed for a while.

Professional comedians, many who earn multiples more than footy players, make jokes about accused/convicted sexual offenders all.the.time - up to this very day. Ghislaine Maxwell, Diddy, Epstein, Weinstein, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Prince Phillip - the list goes on and on. Again - if we are punishing players because their jokes didn't happen to be as well crafted then that is absurd.
Context is everything I suppose.
Comedians are attempting to subvert expectations and craft humour/satire to make light about things in a clever way.
If a comedian got on stage and just pretended to abuse/sexually assault a sex doll they would be absolutely lambasted for it (as they should).
Comedians frequently complain about audiences not finding their cruxe/dark/edgy humour funny anymore and I think that's a result of the zeitgeist shifting.
The difference with football players doing it, even at a private function, is it normalises the acceptance of these things happening, and ultimately lacks the key subversive and contextual elements that makes it more acceptable when Comedians do it.
Society does not want rolemodels who think that its OK to denigrate and abuse others, the AFL is taking a strong stance in this situation which to me says they're responding to the shift in zeitgeist, and that there's an acknowledgement that in today's climate, excuses like "boys will be boys" and "they're just blowing off steam" aren't acceptable because of the real world social impacts that it can have.

The fact that there's potentially a six game ban in the works for this says something about the possible impact the action/skit could have had.

The fact is is that football is still largely inaccessible for large swathes of our society due to the normalised and accepted behaviours that go on at football clubs. The AFL taking a heavy stance here will empower local clubs to prevent anti-social behaviour as time goes on.

The majority of their inroads into non-footballing states are based around marketing to kids and the perceived family friendliness relative to the rowdy, own-mouth pissing, reptile smuggling, shoe-shitting, dog molesting NRL.

The majority of their inroads into non-footballing states are based around marketing to kids and the perceived family friendliness relative to the rowdy, own-mouth pissing, reptile smuggling, shoe-shitting, dog molesting NRL.

Ohh that feeling when two of those incidents involve players who played for your club.

Hey Hey was never a favourite of mine, so I very rarely watched it, as it had no appeal to me. Despite the blatant racism that was in the show, I also found it to be quite sexist, especially to Jackie McDonald when she was a co host. Yes times have changed, some for the better, some for the worse. While unfortunately we will never stamp out racism, sexisim, homophobic views ect, due to individual beliefs and opinions and possibly past experience, it has improved to what it once was.

I could never see Eddie Murphy bring out a show like Raw or Delirious again, due to the content that he covers in both shows. It’s out dated, based on the time it came out. It has not aged well. Benny Hill is another comedian whose work would not stand up today. The list goes on. What was funny then, is cringe now. The GWS players, were expressing their sense of humour, as to what they feel is relevant today. There sense of humour may not appeal to other people, myself included, how ever they were at a private function, where their antics should have remained private, unless they broke any laws, or were acting in a way that was harming others, or could potentially harm others. The AFL decision to banning and fining players, is an over reaction, that is almost Orwellian in its approach.
Raw and Delerious are absolute top shelf, still funny as hell. That’s when Eddie was at his best, back when he didn’t give a f..k. Now of course he just does mundane, family friendly dross like the Nutty Professor to make a quick buck. Bring back filthy Eddie I say.

I’m almost if the opposite view with regards to comedy. Modern comedy to me is like Tofu, totally flavourless and banal. And they are even cancelling shows like The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd amd Leauge of Gentlemen. That’s messed up.

This is very dicey ground the AFL is treading on here. Given it was a private function they seem to be essentially penalising the players for bad taste which is a totally subjective unit of measurement. Plenty more to play out here.

You obviously missed the histrionics over the Feast of Dionysus bit of the Opening Ceremony at the Olympics this year. So much handwringing I am surprised multiple people didn't set their arms on fire.

I didn't realise GWS players had been suspended and fined for that. Now that I think about it, no one faced any material consequences, much less suspensions or fines, despite the public outcry. In fact, the entire editorial might of the world media turned to defending the bit and informing the offended that their offence was misplaced. Even Macron came to his defence and praised the scene's "audacity" and the freedom in France that allowed such speech.

You made my point admirably. The boys skewered the wrong sacred lamb, most definitely. Thank you.

The latest info from Morris is that the Barman reported it after watching the venue's CCTV replay.

This throws up so many questions I don't actually know where to start.

Not offended at the time, but goes to watch a recording of it, and then anonymously calls the Giants and complains?

The AFL are making this a lot worse than it needs to be by drip feeding info.

They should have kept it quiet until they had ALL the info, made the call on sanctions and released the info then.

This is a death by 1000 cuts at the mo.

I didn't realise GWS players had been suspended and fined for that. Now that I think about it, no one faced any material consequences, much less suspensions or fines, despite the public outcry. In fact, the entire editorial might of the world media turned to defending the bit and informing the offended that their offence was misplaced. Even Macron came to his defence and praised the scene's "audacity" and the freedom in France that allowed such speech.

You made my point admirably. The boys skewered the wrong sacred lamb, most definitely. Thank you.

You were saying it was a sacred lamb - I was merely pointing out that there was very vocal outrage from the expected quarters. Not surprised you contorted the argument to suit your own agenda though.

You were saying it was a sacred lamb - I was merely pointing out that there was very vocal outrage from the expected quarters. Not surprised you contorted the argument to suit your own agenda though.

I'm not contorting anything. There are lambs you can skew and not be punished for (oh, people may get angry, but no one cares about them), and there are lambs you cannot skew or you will be materially punished. The GWS boys skewed a sacred lamb. Paris skewed one approved for slaughter.

I’m almost if the opposite view with regards to comedy. Modern comedy to me is like Tofu, totally flavourless and banal. And they are even cancelling shows like The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd amd Leauge of Gentlemen. That’s messed up.

They're really not though - two of those shows are available on streaming services. There's also plenty of subversive comedy out there these days - you just have to look for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context is everything I suppose.
Comedians are attempting to subvert expectations and craft humour/satire to make light about things in a clever way.
If a comedian got on stage and just pretended to abuse/sexually assault a sex doll they would be absolutely lambasted for it (as they should).
Comedians frequently complain about audiences not finding their cruxe/dark/edgy humour funny anymore and I think that's a result of the zeitgeist shifting.
The difference with football players doing it, even at a private function, is it normalises the acceptance of these things happening, and ultimately lacks the key subversive and contextual elements that makes it more acceptable when Comedians do it.
Society does not want rolemodels who think that its OK to denigrate and abuse others, the AFL is taking a strong stance in this situation which to me says they're responding to the shift in zeitgeist, and that there's an acknowledgement that in today's climate, excuses like "boys will be boys" and "they're just blowing off steam" aren't acceptable because of the real world social impacts that it can have.

The fact that there's potentially a six game ban in the works for this says something about the possible impact the action/skit could have had.

The fact is is that football is still largely inaccessible for large swathes of our society due to the normalised and accepted behaviours that go on at football clubs. The AFL taking a heavy stance here will empower local clubs to prevent anti-social behaviour as time goes on.
I think 99% of topics can be in comedy. Tragedy plus time equals comedy is a way of putting it.

Is the comedian punching up or down is a question to work out.

This is a pretty clear reply to it...

I'm not contorting anything. There are lambs you can skew and not be punished for (oh, people may get angry, but no one cares about them), and there are lambs you cannot skew or you will be materially punished. The GWS boys skewed a sacred lamb. Paris skewed one approved for slaughter.

Okay, snowflake. I didn't know the Greek gods were such an untouchable area for you.

I think 99% of topics can be in comedy. Tragedy plus time equals comedy is a way of putting it.

Is the comedian punching up or down is a question to work out.

This is a pretty clear reply to it...

TOO CHALLENGING FOR YA?? Acaster is a gem. Easily one of the best contestants Taskmaster has had.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back