No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

This is about as close to an NFL smother as you'll see in AFL, when guys rush the kicker on an extra point and get through the defenders unchecked.

Those guys come fast and can really get up to block the ball, yet they avoid any contact with the kicker.

Different game, rules, size and speed of players. But same principle. You can do it without making contact if you decide to.

This scenario is a lot more dynamic than NFL though, where the kicker is kicking from a set place and the defenders have more time to position themselves for the smother attempt. It's much harder for Maynard to get into a position where he avoids contact, especially as his primary thought was smothering the kick. If players' primary thought becomes avoiding contact with others, we may as well fold the sport.

At least we agree that it was a smother, which Mr Lizard has been arguing against.

It’s all about outcome unfortunately, and the afl don’t really have much of choice.

The AFL will be forking out millions and millions over the coming years for concussion compensation and it’s very likely football directors, coaches, staff will also be liable personally for what’s happened in the past. Just this week we’ve seen club board member freak out that insurance may not cover them when ex players inevitably come after them. We may see people just sit on a board once a fortnight lose their houses and a lot more as a result of this.

Does it suck seeing someone like Maynard rubbed out for something pretty innocuous and a clear football action? Absolutely. But that’s just the future of footy. You knock a player out in just about any action and you’re liable to the consequences. Eventually, players will learn to avoid any form of play that may result in a head high collision.

The game will suffer but less concussions is a good thing for the long term health of players and the viability of the comp.

I get all that, but those suits are coming regardless of whether Maynard sits on the bench for 3 weeks because of a smother that ended badly for Brayshaw and it now seems quite reactive from the AFL

Sure we can reduce that contact by introducing new rules like outlawing a sling tackle and the bump, but where does it end. What about all of the innocuous or accidental incidents that result in concussions across a weekend - what happens there.

It’s incumbent on the AFL to do more than just change the rules and increase penalties and I’m sure they are but at the moment there doesn’t seem to be a lot happening

Should some of the onus shift to players - how many knocks can Brayshaw take before he has to be told no more. I liked what Bartel said about every player having to have a brain scan before they start (even at junior level) and then tracked yearly - too expensive? Not as expensive as a law suit

I agree changes need to happen but I’m also mindful of turning the game into something we no longer recognise

It's a great point. Pies were very fired up early and were looking to impact physically. Can't remember the last time I saw an attempted smother end with a shoulder charge to the head.
Yes there will be no “death of the smother” if he is suspended. Just don’t jump into someone and make shoulder contact to the head, knocking them out

No doubt he knew exactly what he was doing.

Yes - there is absolutely doubt. None of us can know what was going through his head at the time except for Maynard so there’s always going to be doubt - hence 1.5 days of argument all over the internet.

Question, do you want him to go for causing the concussion? Are you on the outcome bandwagon. That is any concussion results in weeks out of the game. And if so, why do you want that to be the result?

Nope I think it’s just a really cheap shot, and it damages the guys head. He’s lucky it’s only concussion.

This is a different game to when a lot of us played in bush leagues in the late 80s.

Back then you could tell how well you were playing by how many whacks in the head you got.

Today there’s recognition that there won’t be a game to play if something isn’t done to protect players heads, given the evolution of strength and power/speed in footy.

can be hard to get your head around. I resented the way the bump was policed initially. Hell, I even thought Byron pickett was good for the game at one point.

Have since changed my views, and see this was against the rules as they’re written. The head just needs to be protected when a player is wide open to be hit into next week and can’t defend himself.

Plus, the minute you step past the ball and hit a player, you’re getting weeks. The ball is long gone when contact takes place.

Nope I think it’s just a really cheap shot, and it damages the guys head. He’s lucky it’s only concussion.

Have since changed my views, and see this was against the rules as they’re written. The head just needs to be protected when a player is wide open to be hit into next week and can’t defend himself.

Plus, the minute you step past the ball and hit a player, you’re getting weeks. The ball is long gone when contact takes place.
Your last 2 Parras have swayed me to agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a different game to when a lot of us played in bush leagues in the late 80s.

Back then you could tell how well you were playing by how many whacks in the head you got.

Today there’s recognition that there won’t be a game to play if something isn’t done to protect players heads, given the evolution of strength and power/speed in footy.

can be hard to get your head around. I resented the way the bump was policed initially. Hell, I even thought Byron pickett was good for the game at one point.

I do understand where you are coming from and would agree if I thought he has gone against the rules as written. But in this case I do not, I see it as an attempted smother that then turned into a brace for impact, not lining up a player to take them out. Don't think we will agree on the interpretation.

The ball is long gone when contact takes place.

Again - the entire passage of play lasts 2 seconds from the time he leaves his feet. Everything looks terrible in slow motion. Everything looks possible in slow motion. Count out two seconds and ask yourself if Maynard in that time can try for the spoil, realise he can't effect the spoil so actively decide to correct himself, and hit Brayshaw head on with sinister intent. Personally I am willing to side with footy related accident given this.

I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to accept that there are different types of smothers? Diving sideways across the boot is NOT the only way to do it. A smother is simply trying to block the ball as it's kicked, which clearly, is what Maynard was trying to do.

When Hodge picked the ball of Griffin's boot and nailed a goal from outside 50, do you think that wasn't a smother? Because it absolutely was.
I had never heard anything except a dive across the boot described as a smother. I have learnt differently today.

"The 1971 Grand Final would also be remembered for the great Barry Lawrence, whose inadvertent smother prevented Hawthorn’s Peter Hudson from surpassing the record for the most goals kicked in a season (150)."

Still seems like strange use of the word to me...you put a blanket over a fire to smother it, or a pillow over someone's face. Diving onto a boot to smother a kick lines up with this. I can't think of a use of the word smother that lines up with getting airborne to block the ball, but whatever. Semantics. :shrug:

Worth revisiting:

I had never heard anything except a dive across the boot described as a smother. I have learnt differently today.

"The 1971 Grand Final would also be remembered for the great Barry Lawrence, whose inadvertent smother prevented Hawthorn’s Peter Hudson from surpassing the record for the most goals kicked in a season (150)."

Still seems like strange use of the word to me...you put a blanket over a fire to smother it, or a pillow over someone's face. Diving onto a boot to smother a kick lines up with this. I can't think of a use of the word smother that lines up with getting airborne to block the ball, but whatever. Semantics. :shrug:

Worth revisiting:

The final where the saints players were reportedly promised a bounty of $500 bucks or something to take Hudson out.

Listening to Brad Hill before the game say how much he loves Ross Lyon.

I think that's pretty insightful. When a player can recommend a club and a coach to external players, it really helps with recruitment.

I think the fruits of the Sam Mitchell coaching regime will be born in the next 5 year period. When players play with other players and end up at the club, and they can really sell Sam and the direction.

I am bullish that it'll get better and we already know how well Sam is held in regard by those from WCE and HAW.

Mate, you're now just being deliberately obtuse.

Go to 21 seconds - front on spoil just like Maynard tried. Multiple others also.

Last edited:
Mate, you're now just being deliberately obtuse.
I'm not sure what it is you think I'm being, but I don't think I'm being it. I think you have me mistaken.

Here, for completeness from earlier, is down the ground of Brayshaw "moving off his line" (which I would describe as "Brayshaw kicks the ball").

1694236676498.png

Maynard's intent is to smother the ball (still feels weird).

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back