No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody was suggesting he sidestep Maynard - the suggestion is that his veering to the right after the kick didn't help the situation because he veered further into Maynard's path.

His contact wasn't unreasonable in the circumstances either - he was bracing after failing to smother. It was an unfortunate accident. Once again the AFL did not pursue the case that he opted to bump.
Except the OP….who said “he should’ve side stepped and never kicked in the first place” 👆👆👆

History is riddled with incorrect calls. Sic and Day should not have been penalised but the AFL usually overrule common sense. If Maynard gets rubbed out, the AFL must look at EVERY incident when a player gets concussed by an opposition player and punish someone. There’s no way out of it. Fly for a mark, knees up and collect a head - suspension. Every concussion is a result of some sort of contact, almost all unintentional while committing a football act. Can’t have it both ways.
Well that is they way they already mrp us, so inflict on everyone else will level the playing field.

Tribunal chair Jeff Gleeson: “The duty of care is informed by what is reasonable, not the expectation of the remarkable. Maynard won’t be found careless if we find he simply failed to do the remarkable” but on what was “achievable” or “reasonable”.

Ben Ihle, for the Pies, argues Brayden Maynard had about 0.12 to 0.15 of a second in between seeing Angus Brayshaw and the contact being made to process the information and position his body.

Tribunal chair Jeff Gleeson earlier said the duty of care for Maynard is “informed by what is reasonable, not the expectation of the remarkable”.

Not surprised that experts on the subject were able to convince the tribunal that, unlike what some were arguing here, Maynard did not possess some kind of super-quantum thought process that allowed him to change his mind in mid-air and career into Brayshaw like a missile after missing a spoil in a fragment of a second.
Clearly the expectation for Sicily was to do the remarkable though…

Fmd

I can though. I am being impartial. There have been so many clownshow decisions at the tribunal this year that I am glad one of them didn't cost someone a shot at playing in a grand final.

Hopefully the new brains trust can come together and rationalise over the off season how to adjudicate actual malicious acts and on-field accidents and come up with more outcomes like that tonight.
The way the clown show ends is that the workcover case happens ANd it is found that it is not a reasonable duty of care to prevent concussion in a contact sport. This will suck for the players with CTE but it’s the only way out I see.

We don’t have a very good legal team, they didn’t defend Sicily very well. Can’t remember the last player we actually had cleared from a hearing.
Systemic prejudice and bias is the other possibility of course

circle listen GIF by SoulPancake

This is the moment maynard launches.
View attachment 1802920
This is the moment when brayshaw lands. Note, maynard is now inline with the centre circle where he starts outside the line of it. Brayshaw hasnt yet take a post kick step and yet its obvious there is going to be a collision. Maynard isnt moving straight away from camera he is on a course to collide with brayshaw even if it may not have ended in a collision with brayshaw’s head. There was always going to be contact.

View attachment 1802918
It's an overzealous attempt at a smother I agree. Doesn't need to launch towards the ball carrier but because he wasn't at the correct angle to smother properly aka coming across diagonally with feet on the ground as you have showed he's ended up getting away with a "part of the game" action even though he did it incorrectly based on the new rules around protecting the head. It's no different to getting a tackle wrong IMO. It's part of the game if executed correctly and this wasn't.

I can’t believe people are upset about Maynard getting off. He jumped to try and smoother the ball, that had to be in Brayshaws direction as that’s where the ball is coming from!
If Brayshaw was 10 meters closer to goal, and having a shot with 5 seconds to go in grand final playing the Hawks and we were 5 points up would people here applaud one off our players for not jumping at him to try and smother the ball, and it sails through? I reckon that player would be the most hated person on this forum!!
He jumped up to try and smother because he was late in making the decision. It's like a Joe the goose situation where the last defender has to choose when to come at the player streaming towards him before he attempts to handball over the top or kick it to the guy all alone. The player always ends up leaping to smother because they reacted too late. If Brayshaw was having a shot it's a downfield free is it not? So which bit of what Maynard did was part of the game?. You can't just smother anyway you want. We don't absolve incorrect technique and leaping to smother is incorrect technique because there's a risk you will smash into somebody which doesn't need to happen. Don't give me it's a contact sport either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He jumped up to try and smother because he was late in making the decision. It's like a Joe the goose situation where the last defender has to choose when to come at the player streaming towards him before he attempts to handball over the top or kick it to the guy all alone. The player always ends up leaping to smother because they reacted too late. If Brayshaw was having a shot it's a downfield free is it not? So which bit of what Maynard did was part of the game?. You can't just smother anyway you want. We don't absolve incorrect technique and leaping to smother is incorrect technique because there's a risk you will smash into somebody which doesn't need to happen. Don't give me it's a contact sport either.

You're complaining about the technique of a smother and the result, but you were happy for Sicily to receive no weeks for his tackle.

So many Hawks supporters wanted Sicily off, but are happy to lay the boot into Maynard. I guess it's not really about integrity of the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back