No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t believe people are upset about Maynard getting off. He jumped to try and smoother the ball, that had to be in Brayshaws direction as that’s where the ball is coming from!
If Brayshaw was 10 meters closer to goal, and having a shot with 5 seconds to go in grand final playing the Hawks and we were 5 points up would people here applaud one off our players for not jumping at him to try and smother the ball, and it sails through? I reckon that player would be the most hated person on this forum!!

I can’t believe people are upset about Maynard getting off. He jumped to try and smoother the ball, that had to be in Brayshaws direction as that’s where the ball is coming from!
If Brayshaw was 10 meters closer to goal, and having a shot with 5 seconds to go in grand final playing the Hawks and we were 5 points up would people here applaud one off our players for not jumping at him to try and smother the ball, and it sails through? I reckon that player would be the most hated person on this forum!!
How is it not talked about that if it was anyone other than Brayshaw, they would have gotten up and run away.

Brayshaw has a long history of concussions. At some stage he has to take responsibility for being on the field.

For mine, Maynard did everything right. Impact happened and maybe Brayshaw should retire. Some may say the AFL should let people with recurrent concussions continue but I say, if you a boxer that gets KOed a lot, then retire. The sport is not for you.

AFL is an impacting sport that people who are likely to get knocked out often should not play. It is the same as a player that is not tall enough, too slow, or not skilled. Not having an ability to cope with concussion is a real thing, In boxing it is called having a chin. If you don’t have a chin, quit.

Brayshaw has an impact issue that should rule him out of the sport. He has millions of dollars on the line in his contacts and possibly no vocation to go to and so he will say he wants to continue. He should be overruled.

If he says that is wrong, just ask the many ex-players with concussion issue that know he should retire.…. And then ask his mother.

Yes he has talent. But if his brain is impacted more heavily than others … he has to quit.

At some time people need to take responsibility for their actions.

I was very glad our man Max Lynch chose his health over more games.

Last edited:
A gymnast can jump and do a double twist, double somersault in the same time yet Maynard is frozen in time.
Righto!!

For the sake of footy the best decision is to move on.
A gymnast jumps from the ground in a way that allows their double twist but still maintains a forward trajectory. They also have their jumped planned and practiced repeatedly over a period of time.

Not a great comparison.

A gymnast can jump and do a double twist, double somersault in the same time yet Maynard is frozen in time.
Righto!!

For the sake of footy the best decision is to move on.
As an ex state level gymnast… I can tell you, Maynard had no option once he chose jump to smother.

As a lover of physics: hell no. @guston

for the sake of footy, know that no-one could have stopped the collision other than Brayshaw.

Last edited:
As an ex state level gymnast… I can tell you, Maynard had no option once he chose jump to smother.

for the sake of footy, know that no-one could have stoped to collision Other than Brayshaw.

Good luck trying to convince people who think Maynard is Hannibal Lecter. Even a biomechanics expert dispelling their arguments isn’t enough.

The Maynard outcome is good for football, but I do confess that I am now even more frustrated about the Sicily suspension.
I have a simple solution to all of the concussions cases. Every player that causes a concussion to another player that has that player not being able to play the next week incurs a 1 week suspension.

Both players are out for a week … period. ! At the least this seems fair.

If the incident is reportable then pile on the weeks.

The intent is to reduce concussions. 1 week out if you concuss someone seems OK.

Unintentional concussions viewed by the tribunal are exempt.

We'd be pretty livid and the free kick and goal he gave away for high contact which would ultimately cost us the GF.

Brayshaw contributed massively to the contact though - he moved right which is actually pretty uncommon once you have kicked with your right, and he should have side stepped and never kicked in the first place.

We'd be pretty livid and the free kick and goal he gave away for high contact which would ultimately cost us the GF.

Brayshaw contributed massively to the contact though - he moved right which is actually pretty uncommon once you have kicked with your right, and he should have side stepped and never kicked in the first place.
Smoothing is part of the game, and there should be no free kick awarded for trying to smoother a kick. There has already been so much taken away from this sport that it’s nearly unrecognisable!
Remember P Hughes who died from a bouncer that hit him on the helmet? Should the cricketing world penalise bowlers for bowling bouncers now?

Remember P Hughes who died from a bouncer that hit him on the helmet? Should the cricketing world penalise bowlers for bowling bouncers now?

I get where you are coming from - but there are actually regulations around bouncers and if you bowl more than 2 per over in tests or ODIs or one per over in T20s you'll be called for a no ball.

This being said - I would agree that trying to smother the ball isn't against the spirit of the game like bowling 6 bouncers would be.

Odd take.

Brayshaw has the ball, he looks down at the ball as he is about to kick (like we all would), 0.2 seconds after he kicks he is knocked out.

The idea that “he should have side stepped” a bloke who decides to jump in the air to smother just as Angus is winding up to kick, and fails to smother, it completely unrealistic.

Personally I think the grading is all wrong at the moment.

Maynard should’ve got 1 week only because his contact was high and unreasonable in the circumstances. As it was 3 weeks we end up with this farcical situation. Penalty too heavy, so no penalty at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd take.

Brayshaw has the ball, he looks down at the ball as he is about to kick (like we all would), 0.2 seconds after he kicks he is knocked out.

The idea that “he should have side stepped” a bloke who decides to jump in the air to smother just as Angus is winding up to kick, and fails to smother, it completely unrealistic.

Personally I think the grading is all wrong at the moment.

Maynard should’ve got 1 week only because his contact was high and unreasonable in the circumstances. As it was 3 weeks we end up with this farcical situation. Penalty too heavy, so no penalty at all.

Nobody was suggesting he sidestep Maynard - the suggestion is that his veering to the right after the kick didn't help the situation because he veered further into Maynard's path.

His contact wasn't unreasonable in the circumstances either - he was bracing after failing to smother. It was an unfortunate accident. Once again the AFL did not pursue the case that he opted to bump.

i have to pull you up here. A person will almost always move in the opposite direction of the kick. Assuming a right footer, kicking to the right of your centre of gravity will see you fall to your left. Kicking to the left of your centre of gravity will see you move to your right. Brayshaw kicks slightly across his body so was always going to move to his right. There is no chance brayshaw could have or should be expected to have side stepped to avoid contact with maynard.

Last edited:
Nobody was suggesting he sidestep Maynard - the suggestion is that his veering to the right after the kick didn't help the situation because he veered further into Maynard's path.

His contact wasn't unreasonable in the circumstances either - he was bracing after failing to smother. It was an unfortunate accident. Once again the AFL did not pursue the case that he opted to bump.

Bracing is not a defence.
They changed it after Burton knocked out Higgins. Of course it's crept back in, but it shouldnt

Last word on this from me. I think it is all about consistency. If protecting the head is sacrosanct then educate the players and the viewing public what is and what isnt acceptable. All the way thru to junior footy. But like all things AFL they demand control of the brand, its more important than anything else. Everything and everyone else comes second. Brand = Money.

i have to pull you up here. A person will almost always move in the opposite direction of the kick. Assuming a right footer, kicking to the right of your centre of gravity will see you fall to your left. Kicking to the left of your centre of gravity will see you move to your right. Brayshaw kicks slightly across his body so was always going to move to his right. There is no chance brayshaw could have or should be expected to have side stepped to avoid contact with maynard.
Bolded was exactly the point I was making, but Brayshaw kicks with his right and then falls to his right which is unusual.

Cyril would have side stepped Maynard and kicked a goal.

Then because Brayshaw’s kick was somewhat unconventional being across his body Maynard could not have possibly known before he jumped that Brayshaw was going to move in that direction. Accident. Right decision has been made.

for the sake of footy, know that no-one could have stopped the collision other than Brayshaw.
How flexible do I have to be to reach state-level? I can touch my knees while bending over?

Bolded was exactly the point I was making, but Brayshaw kicks with his right and then falls to his right which is unusual.

Cyril would have side stepped Maynard and kicked a goal.
As a right footer kicking towards your left you will fall a little to your right. That is what happened and its normal. Edit: talking about where the leg goes not the ball.

Maynard doesnt jump until after brayshaw is in the act of kicking.

1694675840426.png
1694676012918.png
1694676319473.jpeg

Last edited:
Then because Brayshaw’s kick was somewhat unconventional being across his body Maynard could not have possibly known before he jumped that Brayshaw was going to move in that direction. Accident. Right decision has been made.
Its not unconventional. Most people going for a long kick will kick like that to generate extra power.

Its not unconventional. Most people going for a long kick will kick like that to generate extra power.
I’m not in either camp, but in those frames it appears to me he is launching from a position that is perfect for the shirtfront. He hasn’t jumped straight up front on. His body appears to be starting to rotate to the side. Maybe have a foot in each camp, smother and bump (brace for contact)

‘Somewhat unconventional’ is referring to Brayshaw kicking across his body, which is not a conventional kick and is only noticeable in his action after Maynard has left the ground as shown in your evidence. If only Maynard had of asked Brayshaw exactly how he intended to kick the ball this whole incident could have been avoided.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back