No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taxpayers money shouldn't be used to entirely prop up a football team that would never survive on its own. If the NRL want to front $600M then go for it. Government investment in sport I have no problem with - but this is far beyond that.

PNG is a basket case and $600M could be far better spent on things that would benefit the local population there in far more substantial ways. It's a developing nation - the last thing they should be focussed on is an NRL side.

The NRL stand to gain nothing for doing this. A team in Perth would open up a whole new audience and would enhance their next TV rights deal. Australian media companies aren't going to care about the audience in PNG.

If we want to keep allies closer and stave off China - then I am not remotely fond of a sporting franchise being used to achieve that. What's next - do we relocate the Sharks to the Cook Islands to halt their cosiness with China?

The NRL admin is messed up though.
Going to Perth would mean sharing their market with the AFL. They don't like that. At all. The administration has had grievances with the Melbourne storm for daring to embrace Melbourne, and daring to be everyone's "second team"
They even had a word with channel 9 a few years ago for "letting" cam Smith take time away from commentary to do dad-duties at half time aus kick

Marvel is literally a train ride to Southern Cross. Alot of supporters don't go there out of principle because of Waverley etc but it's really not that much of a stretch to play more games there and for the supporters to suck it up and attend those matches if they can. I've attended more marvel than MCG games the past couple of years because of work and those games falling on days Ive got spare. It's a soulless place to play footy but it's better than nothing.

I’ve only lived in Melbourne a few years after a lifetime in various footy voids.

Marvel is sub-MCG on pretty much every metric, but if I have a chance to see the Hawks there I still go whenever I can.

I’ve only lived in Melbourne a few years after a lifetime in various footy voids.

Marvel is sub-MCG on pretty much every metric, but if I have a chance to see the Hawks there I still go whenever I can.
Not disagreeing at all. I try not to focus on the lack of atmosphere at Marvel and just focus on the actual match. Even there food and drink facilities are worse than the G and it takes ages just to get anything. Im always more relaxed at the G much more options.

Even there food and drink facilities are worse than the G and it takes ages just to get anything.

Food was actually better where I was sitting - had 8Bit and Gammi Chicken. I’ve got nothing but the generic outlets at the G. The G could serve nothing but broccoli to eat and fish milkshakes to drink and I’d still choose it over Marvel every time.

Food was actually better where I was sitting - had 8Bit and Gammi Chicken. I’ve got nothing but the generic outlets at the G. The G could serve nothing but broccoli to eat and fish milkshakes to drink and I’d still choose it over Marvel every time.
The fancy trendy sort of food they leave the G for dead but if you just want the staple diet sort of stuff you will never go wrong at the G. More outlets to get it from as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it bad to say I have no interest in watching Carlton play?
They play a contested brand, they don't play it overly well, and their forwards are just too lumbering for me to care for.
It's good when they lose, I like that.

Is it bad to say I have no interest in watching Carlton play?
They play a contested brand, they don't play it overly well, and their forwards are just too lumbering for me to care for.

In what world is Curnow lumbering? He's a freak. And McKay is back to his best with clunking marks.

They need some good smaller forwards though for sure.

It’s been so long since an ump paid HTB that they are now confused as to what is and what isn’t

I wish every team the best of luck over the weekend because it’s going to be real hit and miss

Was in Melb last week, went to meet up with friends at Docklands (having discovered no AFL last friday in melb) and couldn't believe how Docklands was so dead. How do those businesses survive? Subsidised rents? A spurline over there might encourage more people.
Found it bizarrely strange. Although Zero Latency VR was fun, thanks! :)

Career threatening injuries will do that to you

They're behind him now though. His September last year was pretty poor imo. No use kicking bags against the bad teams and going MIA in finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back