No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawthorn names here are odd. Moore is understandable, Sic more recently sure... Hardwick has had good games but realistically where do you select him? I also love Newc but he's not been anywhere near his titillating best so far, arguably I'd have Worps ahead of him.

Wonder if Will Day comes into discussions later in the season. Missed too much footy at this stage, but we've seen players miss similar amounts of games and storm home.

Wonder if Will Day comes into discussions later in the season. Missed too much footy at this stage, but we've seen players miss similar amounts of games and storm home.
He'll probably stay out of the conversation I'd imagine. He missed quite a few games. Doesn't often happen that players still get a jersey despite missing that many.

I always found it interesting that when he made the squad in 2019 he was the 5th LOWEST rated Med Defender that played over 20 games.

When you compare his season with Sic' that year he had:

Less intercept possessions
Less intercept marks
Less contested marks
Less defensive 1:1s
Worse defensive 1:1 loss rate
Less Pressure Acts
Less Spoils
Less Score Involvements
Less Score Launches

He really just had more disposals. Only way he was better than Sic that year, outside of the Geelong AA weighting.
It’s nonsense Sicily is classified as a key defender at 188 and Stewart a general defender at 190. When you look at their ratings that clearly alters how they are assessed. Last year it hurt Sicily this year seems to help him they have 3 similar key stats in common like disposals kicks handballs where stats are essentially the same nut Sicily rated higher. Looking at key stats no way Stewart should be in the squad.

Attachments

• IMG_4726.png
    IMG_4726.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4727.png
    IMG_4727.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 31

The Hawthorn names here are odd. Moore is understandable, Sic more recently sure... Hardwick has had good games but realistically where do you select him? I also love Newc but he's not been anywhere near his titillating best so far, arguably I'd have Worps ahead of him.

Stewart been pretty average- he gets an All Australian just for turning up

If Hawthorn recruited a bloke like Arie Shoenmakers I'd be pretty disgusted.
Not many things that a club could do to turn me away from them fully, but recruiting bad people is gross.
What did Arie do?

Googled it but all it really has is they are calling him Birchall 2.0

Jesus that is harmless but fair play on the suspension would a good lesson learned.

Bloke is a saint (pun intended) compared to many based on this as his knock
I'm only guessing of course. But that was the only thing I could find.

Perhaps there should be. What if he had caught his head?
That’s the difference right there. Head knocks are now treated far more seriously as we have become aware of the CTE implications of regular concussive events.

You don’t get concussion from a knee to the ribs in a marking contest.

If Hawthorn recruited a bloke like Arie Shoenmakers I'd be pretty disgusted.
Not many things that a club could do to turn me away from them fully, but recruiting bad people is gross.
Are you talking about his 10 week bad from TAS Coates League side ?

If so, then I think you are over reacting in a massive way.
He made a mistake & owned it. Good on him.
Plenty of people make mistakes but want/need someone else to blame.

Everyone deserves a chance to make amends.

If there’s another issue, then disregard my post but I can’t find any other indiscretions

If there’s another issue, then disregard my post but I can’t find any other indiscretions
There was talk before the draft of allegations that he’d been the bully of a disabled kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Arie do?

Googled it but all it really has is they are calling him Birchall 2.0
There was talk before the draft of allegations that he’d been the bully of a disabled kid.

Nah the under-age drinking stuff is what it is, similar to some here I'd have copped hefty bans for underage substance uses.

It's the links to being moved on from several schools in Tas due to bullying, going after disabled kids and kids with psycho-social disabilities.
There was more online last year about it- especially on forums like Reddit.
I believe he landed at the same school as Tarryn Thomas- the school celebrated TT right until the end of his career, whereas the school has not once tried to celebrate Arie's success and I believe that's because his standing in the community and the impact he had on the students around him.

Jesus that is harmless but fair play on the suspension would a good lesson learned.

Bloke is a saint (pun intended) compared to many based on this as his knock

That wasn't the main issue, which has been mentioned on BF previously leading up to the draft. Long story short apparently he ruthlessly bullied a fellow student with a disability of some sort. Absolutely pathetic behaviour, if true.

Yep - like Corey Enright before him.
Corey Enright was a ripping footballer. Probably not a 17 time AA footballer but he was good.

Stewart is also very good. But unlike Sicily he has played year after year with a very good and stable defensive back 6 around him and protecting him. He also has the fairytale story of being found at 24 by Scarlett in the Herne Hill 3rds's or whatever the hell it was whilst Siciliy has always been known as a bad boy.

The whole thing is a popularity contest. That is why Mitchell never got the AA's he deserved, why N Daicos will end his career with one every year and Geelong routinely get more than they deserve. Birchall certainly never got his either.

But seriously who gives a **** - Hawthorn are in the business of winning premierships.

That wasn't the main issue, which has been mentioned on BF previously leading up to the draft. Long story short apparently he ruthlessly bullied a fellow student with a disability of some sort. Absolutely pathetic behaviour, if true.
This truly gets my blood boiling.

Corey Enright was a ripping footballer. Probably not a 17 time AA footballer but he was good.

Stewart is also very good. But unlike Sicily he has played year after year with a very good and stable defensive back 6 around him and protecting him. He also has the fairytale story of being found at 24 by Scarlett in the Herne Hill 3rds's or whatever the hell it was whilst Siciliy has always been known as a bad boy.

The whole thing is a popularity contest. That is why Mitchell never got the AA's he deserved, why N Daicos will end his career with one every year and Geelong routinely get more than they deserve. Birchall certainly never got his either.

But seriously who gives a **** - Hawthorn are in the business of winning premierships.

Stratton too. Highly flexible defender

Okay well that’s a bit different.

Nah the under-age drinking stuff is what it is, similar to some here I'd have copped hefty bans for underage substance uses.

It's the links to being moved on from several schools in Tas due to bullying, going after disabled kids and kids with psycho-social disabilities.
I believe he landed at the same school as Tarryn Thomas- the school celebrated TT right until the end of his career, whereas the school has not once tried to celebrate Arie's success and I believe that's because his standing in the community and the impact he had on the students around him.
Yer wow

That was only the start unfortunately, mental and physical abuse, humiliation, in person and online. There's a lot more that never even made it to reddit, let alone here or social media.

As bad as the stories were (genuinely horrible), his response and attempted justification once being caught was why he was immediately expelled. (Sorry - "invited to reconsider his enrolment", they don't 'expel').

He was enrolled in schools alongside 3-4 other Tasmanians who also made it to AFL - all of them have celebratory articles from their schools (even Tarryn Thomas!) - yet you'd be hard pressed to find any article noting where he went to school.

Yeah that’s all correct. The drinking wasn’t even underage. He did it with Devils and started peer pressuring teammates to drink on a training camp. For obvious reasons, alcohol is banned with underage teams. That’s what got him banned. Girl lost her career over alcohol, too. She was on track to make it.

St Patrick’s College is the school. Toxic as, huge reputation for it. Not posh at all, let a lot fly that shouldn’t.

Also the best school for footy in Tassie. Ryley Sanders went there until he left for Melbourne Grammar as did James Leake, Rhyan Mansell, Jackson Callow, Kolodjashnij, etc. Ariarne left after two years and she’s still celebrated, Ryley went to Melbourne Grammar but same story. Mitch Thorp even went there!

They have a huge sports focus and always promote athletes. Even TT was still being glazed very recently. That one’s been hidden now.

Arie’s name is buried in a year book but most other references have been erased.

Media didn’t comment on this because it happened at school. Also not a great look for the place given they failed to protect vulnerable kids.

Shit rep in Launnie as well. Name like his you don’t forget. He attended many schools seeking a fresh start.

Don’t get me wrong he can play and play well. Good forward as well as a defender. Super boot wasn’t passed on for a quiet beer after training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back