Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been doing Bikram/Hot Yoga now for a 6 weeks and I must say I'm feeling as good as I've felt in years. The back and knees are feeling great and I also feel very supple and clear headed, which could also in part be due to cutting back my running on concrete/bitumen.

I had to cut back on the running which I wasn't really looking forward to but wanted to give the Yoga a good crack to see how it went. Instead of 5-6 8km runs a week I now do 3-4 Yoga classes and 1-2 8km runs a week.

i maintain that yoga is the hardest thing ive ever done.

i maintain that yoga is the hardest thing ive ever done.

My aunty who is out of shape, stacked on a few kgs and went to the doctor who told her it was a matter of "when" not "if" that she would have a heart attack. You know what she did right away???

pilates.
I was like o_O

Ease into it a bit maybe.. dont start off with that!

My aunty who is out of shape, stacked on a few kgs and went to the doctor who told her it was a matter of "when" not "if" that she would have a heart attack. You know what she did right away???

pilates.
I was like o_O

i guess its a start. she may not perform the more difficult moves and poses, but its a start!

did she then to get a bucket of kfc and a diet coke?

i guess its a start. she may not perform the more difficult moves and poses, but its a start!

did she then to get a bucket of kfc and a diet coke?

Lol no.

She's actually not that overweight. But my uncle (her brother) died of a heart attack, so she is not mucking around, she is hitting the gym and taking the doctors warning seriously.

Lol no.

She's actually not that overweight. But my uncle (her brother) died of a heart attack, so she is not mucking around, she is hitting the gym and taking the doctors warning seriously.

thats good then. Hopefully she'll be ok

pilates.
I was like o_O

I've never done pilates, but given it's based on yoga you could probably work within your own limits easily enough couldn't you?

I know you can with yoga, just working within your own ROM and variations of the poses.

I've never done pilates, but given it's based on yoga you could probably work within your own limits easily enough couldn't you?

I know you can with yoga, just working within your own ROM and variations of the poses.

Yeah fair enough- but she said she was in a fair amount of pain.

Surely just some light treadmill/light weights and some swimming would be a better option.

And FWIW I survived ok when that gas explosion happened and we didnt have gas for a month.

I remember that.
We ferried endless kettles of boiling water into the bath and if you were lucky you weren’t the last one to use it lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those more informed than me.

I currently have three diferent workout styles that I do in rotation: Strength (heaviest weights I can lift, trying to maintain TUT as much as possible), HIIT (body weight exercises like pushups, lunges, pullups) and cardio (steady state).

If I add some steady state cardio (20-30 mins only) to the end of strength and HIIT sessions, what effect would you expect?

Note - I'm not seeking huge gains. Priority is 1.feeling good (which is why I'm introducing more steady state, because I love it), then 2. being healthy (buiilding up different kinds of fitness) and 3. looking shit hot and having a visible six pack (getting there with the six pack after a solid 4-6 months on this.

Question for those more informed than me.

I currently have three diferent workout styles that I do in rotation: Strength (heaviest weights I can lift, trying to maintain TUT as much as possible), HIIT (body weight exercises like pushups, lunges, pullups) and cardio (steady state).

If I add some steady state cardio (20-30 mins only) to the end of strength and HIIT sessions, what effect would you expect?

Note - I'm not seeking huge gains. Priority is 1.feeling good (which is why I'm introducing more steady state, because I love it), then 2. being healthy (buiilding up different kinds of fitness) and 3. looking shit hot and having a visible six pack (getting there with the six pack after a solid 4-6 months on this.

From my experience my strength is always governed by my calorie intake. The strongest I ever was at the tailed end of my 2016 footy season.

Adding in extra cardio at the end of your weight session won’t affect your strength provided your claories are adequate.

If you want a shredded 6 pac diet rules over everything else.

As don’t worry as a natural lifter you won’t get to big, just to fat.

started lifting weights seriously in March after doing mainly yoga, bodyweight exercise and cardio for a while. I was bored of my old routine and wanted to bulk up a bit. considering I was sitting at 70kg at 189cm tall, I’d be in danger if a slight breeze came along. I’ve just hit 82kg with minimal increase in body fat, so I’m pretty happy with progress so far.

Lol no.

tell her to get a calcium ct score if she wants a real indications of cvd risk

So after making 59 days in a row, my gym moved to a bigger and better location so I took a week off and concentrated on giving up cordial and fruit juice.

I now mostly drink water and milk, with juice on the rare occasion. My body isn't too happy with dumping all that sugar at the moment but hey, baby steps right?

Did 45 minutes at the new location today and I'm glad I took a break because I'm motivated again!

Yeah fair enough- but she said she was in a fair amount of pain.

Surely just some light treadmill/light weights and some swimming would be a better option.

And yup, she's pulled a muscle or something, is quite serious, cannot do ANY exercise for 6 weeks at least. Doctor's orders.

Dont wanna say "told ya so!"

(But i probably did, at dinner last night)

So after making 59 days in a row, my gym moved to a bigger and better location so I took a week off and concentrated on giving up cordial and fruit juice.

I now mostly drink water and milk, with juice on the rare occasion. My body isn't too happy with dumping all that sugar at the moment but hey, baby steps right?

Did 45 minutes at the new location today and I'm glad I took a break because I'm motivated again!

What's the relationship between movement of gym location to taking the week off?

I never, ever buy fruit juices (or soft drink) from the supermarket anymore. Occasionally I'll indulge in my favourite mango ice tea, but we are seriously talking only a few times during the summer months.

Once in a while I'll treat myself to a Boost too, but thats all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back