Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" Review, Largest M'ship Drop/Lowest Social Growth, 🎵Caul(field) Me Maybe 🎵

Remove this Banner Ad

did I say that, Probaley goodie is good and but there comes a time when both parties need to move on but I want him to stay until the end of his deal and then we will go from there if we win another one or are doing fine lock him in, despite success sometimes change is nessacery or even a rebuild (we don't need to do that)
honestly we probably do.

-Max and May will be gone soon
  • Brayshaw gone
  • Petty likely gone this year or next
  • Langdon cooked
  • Tomlinson just a stop gap.

JVR, Kozzy, Rivers & Windsor are the only young players on the list who have shown they could reach AA level.

did I say that, Probaley goodie is good and but there comes a time when both parties need to move on but I want him to stay until the end of his deal and then we will go from there if we win another one or are doing fine lock him in, despite success sometimes change is nessacery or even a rebuild (we don't need to do that)

No you didn't, that's why the comment isn't directed at you. Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough.

I'm in no way saying Goody is amazing and doesn't deserve scrutiny, he will cop plenty of it this year and will rightly be under pressure, just for mine the evidence doesn't back up the assertion other posters try to make that Buckley is a gun coach and Goodwin is a dud.

honestly we probably do.

-Max and May will be gone soon
  • Brayshaw gone
  • Petty likely gone this year or next
  • Langdon cooked
  • Tomlinson just a stop gap.

JVR, Kozzy, Rivers & Windsor are the only young players on the list who have shown they could reach AA level.
Yeah when Max and May drop off were ****ed. 0 young key defenders and a game style that only works with the best marking ruck of the last 30 years

No you didn't, that's why the comment isn't directed at you. Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough.

I'm in no way saying Goody is amazing and doesn't deserve scrutiny, he will cop plenty of it this year and will rightly be under pressure, just for mine the evidence doesn't back up the assertion other posters try to make that Buckley is a gun coach and Goodwin is a dud.
stats prove otherwise as you have shown but bucks coached longer, I wouldn't write goodie off just yet, still have faith and confidence in the coach

Okay so I sent the club my email. I went with polite but disappointed in the forlorn hope it is actually read and considered, but I seriously doubt it. It goes like this:

Dear Kate

Thank you for providing members with the opportunity to contact you directly.

I am a lifelong supporter of the Demons and have been a member for nearly 20 years. I have loved the club for a long time and been the sponsor (in turn) of Ben Kennedy, Jake Lever, Nathan Jones and James Harmes. I have donated freely to rid the club of debt during 2007 and 2008. This is a lot of money for me. I’m not wealthy. I’m an ordinary worker. I can’t afford a house, a Range Rover or a trip to Mt Buller. And I’m not alone.

Given all this, I wanted to give you some honest, candid feedback about the way I feel I am being treated by the club President.

Recently, and not for the first time, you have gone public to tell members to attend games and ‘cheer louder’. And just this week you have compared, unfavourably, members and supporters of Melbourne to the members and supporters of Collingwood in attendance. And have further accused us of not being sufficiently noisy during games. They are a much bigger club, with more than 35 thousand more supporters than Melbourne. Our overall attendance is excellent in terms of the number of members. And all of them are paying a fair bit of money to the club.

I don’t know whether you watched Collingwood play last year. It was genuinely exciting, attacking, fast-flowing football and, if I were a Collingwood fan, I have no doubt I would have cheered louder than anyone. The reason I find it difficult to engage with Melbourne games these days is because we have spent the last two years playing a depressing and frustrating style of football. I do know that we have made top four in the home and away season two years running, but this isn’t why I watch football. It is supposed to be entertaining and I’m not entertained. I don’t really want to cheer watching the midfield kick the ball into orbit to arrive in a horribly congested forward line with nobody leading, and then repeatedly fail to convert. I’m not blaming the players – all teams struggle with form from time to time. But I was incredibly disappointed that you claim that noisy crowds make a difference to the players. It seems that you are blaming us for the team’s failure to win a final in two years. Because we aren’t loud enough.

This isn’t about wins and losses. I would rather watch entertaining football and genuine growth in the way we play, even if we lose. And I don’t want to be told to cheer when I’m not seeing anything I enjoy.

I did enjoy the 2021 Grand Final and imagine that there was a fair bit of noise from the crowd. You would know better than me. You got to go. I, like many supporters, had to watch alone in my house on the couch with the cat. And now you want to tell me that I don’t attend enough games or cheer enough. I watched our opening game for the season. I gave it my best but kicking 2.8 in a half of football didn’t inspire me to ‘make a noise’. I don’t know if you notice the failings of our coach and players – you certainly seem to notice mine. You ask me to spend more and more money and then repeatedly tell me I’m not doing enough.

If there was a time for you to make a noise, it was when the club was facing a barrage of criticism for its ‘culture’ over the off-season. I saw Max Gawn facing the media on numerous occasions. I didn’t see you.

I am a paid-up member, but I don’t know how much longer I will be when the key decision makers of the club are so tone-deaf to the feelings of their members. And I have no confidence that you or anyone else will pay any attention to this feedback, but I wanted you to understand that I am hurt and disappointed by your comments.

Other than this, I do hope that your presidency of the club is a success and that I can learn to enjoy the Demons again.

Yours sincerely

(Insert your favourite name here)
The suspense is killing me...Do we have a reply yet?

The suspense is killing me...Do we have a reply yet?
Not yet.

Binge want me to subscribe, pet circle has a 20% sale on dry food and someone with a 50 character email is warning me that my iCloUd stOraGe is at capacity so I should click on a link

Not yet.

Binge want me to subscribe, pet circle has a 20% sale on dry food and someone with a 50 character email is warning me that my iCloUd stOraGe is at capacity so I should click on a link

At least Pet Circle is useful, Prez Gander.

Gander for Pres.

The desperate neediness to be seen as a big club is so cringe worthy. Like your friends little brother wanting to hangout with you and your mates. We're not a big club and we never will be.

Embrace the clubs history and its niche supporter base. It's okay to be the underdog.
Exactly this, don't see Geelong running around trying to be Collingwood, yet they're a hugely respected and strong club both on and off the field for years and years. This childish bigger is better attitude has moved into bizarre territory now

who wants to be like Collingwood we are not like them, ferals are not something I personally want or the club should want our supporters to be like, and add to that the racism although Carlton also does that, yes we need to cheer more at games but we need something to cheer about

I genuinely think the club is shitty at the supporters for being unhappy with the last two years after we won the flag. People talk about our fans being entitled but everyone who works at the actual club are the ones who think their s**t doesn’t stink.
only we could have our best 3 year period for 60 years and end with a rift between the club and its supporters lol

Well, JVR's accidental falcon goal somehow got named goal of the week. Proper Gander expect Roffey to reply to you with the clip and "Are You Not Entertained?"

Well, JVR's accidental falcon goal somehow got named goal of the week. Proper Gander expect Roffey to reply to you with the clip and "Are You Not Entertained?"
To be fair to Kate, that bit was kind of entertaining. Took me back to 2018 final v Geelong where Oscar McDonald achieved an amazing spoil with the back of his head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't renewed my membership yet this year and not sure I will. I've been happy to pay for memberships when we were a bottom side even though I can rarely attend games. But this current regime which was happy to claim full credit for a premiership won by the playing group but dodges responsibility and pass the buck for all the off-field failings and the bad contract decisions is a joke.
This latest bullshit about making noise is just absolute nuffy rubbish. Imagine going out in straight sets two consecutive years and the Presidents response is "everyone needs to cheer louder".
I haven't renewed yet either for similar reasons, and since we've won the flag the clubs mindset seems to have changed from we need you and we love you, to well yeh this kind of stuff we're seeing.

Couple of issues for me, the first to be fair is not really in the clubs control, but there is barely a chance to take young kids to games, almost every game starts after 4.35pm, and as it takes us an hour to get to the ground, its not really feasible for us to attend games at the moment. There might be 1 or 2 home games a year that start early. But as you say, previously I was happy to buy memberships despite not being able to attend often.

In 2022 my mobile app stuffed up and we missed the only game our family could go to for the year. I contacted the club by phone and email over this and they "fixed" the problem but never told me what caused my membership account to be seemingly suspended for no reason (it had worked fine previously), and I wasn't offered any compensation (I did ask).

So I wasn't going to sign up last year, but ended up doing so when the Kozi $36 special came about. We're not signing up this year yet as I can't log into my account anyway. I no longer have the email address my melbourne fc account is attached to and ticketmaster wont let me update it. At the moment I'm not even going to bother trying to get that fixed after the lack of care I received from the club last time.

I haven't renewed yet either for similar reasons, and since we've won the flag the clubs mindset seems to have changed from we need you and we love you, to well yeh this kind of stuff we're seeing.

Couple of issues for me, the first to be fair is not really in the clubs control, but there is barely a chance to take young kids to games, almost every game starts after 4.35pm, and as it takes us an hour to get to the ground, its not really feasible for us to attend games at the moment. There might be 1 or 2 home games a year that start early. But as you say, previously I was happy to buy memberships despite not being able to attend often.

In 2022 my mobile app stuffed up and we missed the only game our family could go to for the year. I contacted the club by phone and email over this and they "fixed" the problem but never told me what caused my membership account to be seemingly suspended for no reason (it had worked fine previously), and I wasn't offered any compensation (I did ask).

So I wasn't going to sign up last year, but ended up doing so when the Kozi $36 special came about. We're not signing up this year yet as I can't log into my account anyway. I no longer have the email address my melbourne fc account is attached to and ticketmaster wont let me update it. At the moment I'm not even going to bother trying to get that fixed after the lack of care I received from the club last time.
That is really piss poor by the club. I’m sorry that happened to you.

It'd be pisser funny if that goal somehow got all the way to finals

As a club we value transparency and strive to give our members the option to contact key decision makers at the club.
Members and Club supporters are welcome to contact our CEO and Club President via email.

President
President@melbournefc.com.au
CEO CEO@melbournefc.com.au

Had my own go at a proper email to the club, it's not as good as yours but I figure if we can get a heap of people making noise it might make a difference

Dear Kate
I'm aware of other Melbourne fans who plan on contacting the club and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I've been a Melbourne fan for 30+ years, I've been a member of an on when I can afford it and have often taken advantage of the international membership as I live in Canada these days. 2021 was one of the best nights of my life.
Living in Canada means waking up at 3 or 4am to catch live games often, ever since the flag I've found my self insanely bored watching Melbourne games. The game style of our midfielders belting it as long as possible to congestion to create forward stoppages I'd numbingly bad, I have hardly enjoyed a game of footy for the last 2 years regardless of whether he have won or lost. For the first time ever I bet money against Melbourne in the last year's finals series and was happy when we lost both games. It's a task to watch us, the fact that the club's answer to these issues was tell the supporters to get louder? Was silly at best and insulting at worst. I don't care if we win games anymore because all it does is justify the poor style of footy we play. I emailed the club recently to tell them I have taken up a giants membership instead as everything about their club is better. They are fun to watch, they're social media team is strong and funny ( they don't ask players about taylor swift as their big idea) and their membership department answered me the next day.

The lady from the Melbourne membership answered my concerns with ' don't worry you won't be charged a membership this season good luck with the giants'

There's been an arrogance from the club that's existed for a while now, Gawn saying teams would be envious of our top 4 position was arrogant and personified the club, I'm jealous of GWS and Adelaide because they enjoy their footy.

I would rather finish 15th playing attacking footy than 2nd playing the rubbish we do now.

Gary Perts assertion this was the best club culture he's been involved in? This is the most boring arrogant version of Melbourne I've ever seen.

As long as this stands I will continue to spend my money with the giants.

Had my own go at a proper email to the club, it's not as good as yours but I figure if we can get a heap of people making noise it might make a difference

Dear Kate
I'm aware of other Melbourne fans who plan on contacting the club and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I've been a Melbourne fan for 30+ years, I've been a member of an on when I can afford it and have often taken advantage of the international membership as I live in Canada these days. 2021 was one of the best nights of my life.
Living in Canada means waking up at 3 or 4am to catch live games often, ever since the flag I've found my self insanely bored watching Melbourne games. The game style of our midfielders belting it as long as possible to congestion to create forward stoppages I'd numbingly bad, I have hardly enjoyed a game of footy for the last 2 years regardless of whether he have won or lost. For the first time ever I bet money against Melbourne in the last year's finals series and was happy when we lost both games. It's a task to watch us, the fact that the club's answer to these issues was tell the supporters to get louder? Was silly at best and insulting at worst. I don't care if we win games anymore because all it does is justify the poor style of footy we play. I emailed the club recently to tell them I have taken up a giants membership instead as everything about their club is better. They are fun to watch, they're social media team is strong and funny ( they don't ask players about taylor swift as their big idea) and their membership department answered me the next day.

The lady from the Melbourne membership answered my concerns with ' don't worry you won't be charged a membership this season good luck with the giants'

There's been an arrogance from the club that's existed for a while now, Gawn saying teams would be envious of our top 4 position was arrogant and personified the club, I'm jealous of GWS and Adelaide because they enjoy their footy.

I would rather finish 15th playing attacking footy than 2nd playing the rubbish we do now.

Gary Perts assertion this was the best club culture he's been involved in? This is the most boring arrogant version of Melbourne I've ever seen.

As long as this stands I will continue to spend my money with the giants.
are you still a Dees fan?, I bought my membership and will continue to the Dees are my club and I will always support them, but you are spot on with the Giants great team players, and good coach, and playing strategies just far more fun to watch and a good song I have a hi-vis vest to watch them, may buy some actual merch but my second favorite team close to Melbourne as my first but I will watch a giants game and may even choose to watch them play a fun game instead of the dees playing a frustrating game they may lose, I see this as another dead year for the club unless something big changes in the way we play, but I see the Giants winning the whole thing this year

are you still a Dees fan?, I bought my membership and will continue to the Dees are my club and I will always support them, but you are spot on with the Giants great team players, and good coach, and playing strategies just far more fun to watch and a good song I have a hi-vis vest to watch them, may buy some actual merch but my second favorite team close to Melbourne as my first but I will watch a giants game and may even choose to watch them play a fun game instead of the dees playing a frustrating game they may lose, I see this as another dead year for the club unless something big changes in the way we play, but I see the Giants winning the whole thing this year
As much as I'd love to fully change nah I'll always be a dee. Can't repeat the history of watching them as a kid, the pain of the 00 GF, watching Hird hold the footy after the dons knocked us out in 04 and all the rest of that shit. But deadset if there's any UFC on at the same time as Melbourne I'm watching the fights and if there was a giants game at the same time id probably watch the giants. Getting to the stage of the Aussie soccer team, won't watch it but I'll check the score cause Straya

Paid for 6 memberships for my family.

I live a 5 minute walk from the 'G, with zero plans for Sunday but I still have zero intention of going to the game (or watching it on TV). Watching us play is infuriating, and with the good weather forecast I rather be out on my boat instead.

As much as I'd love to fully change nah I'll always be a dee. Can't repeat the history of watching them as a kid, the pain of the 00 GF, watching Hird hold the footy after the dons knocked us out in 04 and all the rest of that s**t. But deadset if there's any UFC on at the same time as Melbourne I'm watching the fights and if there was a giants game at the same time id probably watch the giants. Getting to the stage of the Aussie soccer team, won't watch it but I'll check the score cause Straya
I grew up in the tanking era and started to really watch games around 2017, but I would watch a giants game over us and or wwe

I grew up in the tanking era and started to really watch games around 2017, but I would watch a giants game over us and or wwe
You mean the "not tanking" era? :eyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" Review, Largest M'ship Drop/Lowest Social Growth, 🎵Caul(field) Me Maybe 🎵

Remove this Banner Ad

Back