Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" Review, Largest M'ship Drop/Lowest Social Growth, 🎵Caul(field) Me Maybe 🎵

Remove this Banner Ad

The other day I watched the replay of the second half of our win over GWS in R23, 2018. **** me we were fun to watch back then. Fast, aggressive, risky, free flowing footy. I even felt deeply nostalgic for some of the players who we had at that time (Jetta, Hibberd, Jones, Vandenberg, etc).

I can't believe that side was actually coached by Simon Goodwin given how dire our game style has become under his watch.
I was living in Bali at the time and every weekend I'd go to my local sports bar order a bucket of 10 beers on ice for $10 and watch the Dees play the most exciting footy they'd played in years.

Didn't know how good I had it!

I was living in Bali at the time and every weekend I'd go to my local sports bar order a bucket of 10 beers on ice for $10 and watch the Dees play the most exciting footy they'd played in years.

Didn't know how good I had it!
Yeah I remember I biggest issue back then was our tendency to leak goals easily but give me a leaky defence and an attacking game plan over this whole 'contest/defence' shit anyday.

And our two close losses to Geelong that year were infuriating at the time but they were both highly watchable games of football
They were better than almost every win in the last 3 years. I ****ing hate this club.

They were better than almost every win in the last 3 years. I ****ing hate this club.
Ask schmuttt and I. While I long for the way we used to play, that after the siren loss at KP was one of the worst days of live footy I've ever experienced lol

Ask schmuttt and I. While I long for the way we used to play, that after the siren loss at KP was one of the worst days of live footy I've ever experienced lol
Yeah I'd rather be angry at a loss than feel nothing for a win though which is what I feel now. I don't even care when we win anymore like not even slightly. I honestly enjoy it more when we lose for the lolz.

I was furious when we lost both those games, but **** did I enjoy them up until those last kicks.

The other day I watched the replay of the second half of our win over GWS in R23, 2018. **** me we were fun to watch back then. Fast, aggressive, risky, free flowing footy. I even felt deeply nostalgic for some of the players who we had at that time (Jetta, Hibberd, Jones, Vandenberg, etc).

I can't believe that side was actually coached by Simon Goodwin given how dire our game style has become under his watch.
Yeah it's all coaching, the personnel we had on the ground that day was hardly full of elite ball users, we just had an aggressive mindset and played on at every opportunity, and occasionally we got burnt the other way. Melksham was elite at delivering inside 50 but his job was so much easier because there was so much space all over the ground.

Outside of Melksham our forward line that day was TMac, Weideman, ANB, Fritsch, Spargo. Kent injured early. Trac, Vandenburg and Harmes all rotated through - not much different to what we have today, made to look so much more competent because we moved the ball aggressively.

Goodwin was scarred by that prelim against West Coast, from that day he vowed to play a style that would never allow us to go down like that again. Every year since 2021 we've become more dour and defensive, and here we are 🤷‍♂️

With a new coach we could change our style so quickly

**** I miss Sam Frost now that I'm watching that game, he's a maniac. You simply have to play a psychotic brand of footy when he's in the team. Undoubtedly the architect behind Hokball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason the game against the saints in 2015 as one that just makes me so angry still. How you concede a joe the goose after hitting the lead with 40 odd seconds to go is ridiculous.

For some reason the game against the saints in 2015 as one that just makes me so angry still. How you concede a joe the goose after hitting the lead with 40 odd seconds to go is ridiculous.
1000019572.jpg

With the external review. The board get the findings on 28/10. Then we’ll get something in November I guess.
The board: Nothing to see here
the-goon-star-wars.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" Review, Largest M'ship Drop/Lowest Social Growth, 🎵Caul(field) Me Maybe 🎵

Remove this Banner Ad

Back