Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s because the culture problems were allowed to fester and develop after that 2021 flag. No humility, no leadership. Just arrogance and hubris. Goody not smart enough/emotionally equipped enough to handle the success.
We don't know that Oliver was clean in 2021. We don't know if the entire playing list was clean either.

Perty laying down the law before Clayton does his interview

84eism.jpg

We don't know that Oliver was clean in 2021. We don't know if the entire playing list was clean either.

Pert just admitted in interview Oliver’s problems extend back 3 years so yes that’s prior to the flag.

The culture issues span a whole lot more than alleged partying and all that might go with that. It’s about hubris and arrogance as much as that stuff.

Last edited:
Does anyone believe the story? He fainted and knocked his head. Couldn't have said that weeks ago.
Who knows. Only a handful of people really know. Everyone's just guessing tbh. I don't really care. I just care about how we're gonna fix our forward movement with the same pieces we had last year.

An all round disappointing lack of ownership of the issues.

Just need to say:

• we haven't performed on field as well as we can and should have these last two years and we need to improve on that
  • we won't be happy with anything less than a flag in 2024
  • we recognise there have been several issues that undermine the culture we want to have as a footy club. This isn't good enough, we're extremely disappointed and will use every resource at our disposal to ensure this does not happen again. This behaviour is not reflective of our values and the club we strive to be.
  • we are open to external review and scrutiny to ensure the club does not have any future issues and that we have the full faith of our members and supporters

Honest and open self reflection is priceless.

I agree with Pert. Whoever wins finals isn't necessarily the best team. It's who was best on the day. it's the exact reason why the NBA do a finals series and not just a once off game.

No-one was mentioning the culture problem in 2021 with practically the same playing group and coaching staff.
What in the actual **** does any of this mean?
We finished 4th, collingwood and Brisbane finished 1-2
They played in the GF.

So the best teams all season played in the GF.

How the **** would we know there's a cultural issue in 2021? Maybe there wasn't? Maybe going back 2 years for this argument is insanely stupid. Like saying Richmond are still flag favourites because they won in 2020, that feels like a lifetime ago in footy terms and that's exactly us at the start of next year

An all round disappointing lack of ownership of the issues.

Just need to say:

• we haven't performed on field as well as we can and should have these last two years and we need to improve on that
  • we won't be happy with anything less than a flag in 2024
  • we recognise there have been several issues that undermine the culture we want to have as a footy club. This isn't good enough, we're extremely disappointed and will use every resource at our disposal to ensure this does not happen again. This behaviour is not reflective of our values and the club we strive to be.
  • we are open to external review and scrutiny to ensure the club does not have any future issues and that we have the full faith of our members and supporters

Honest and open self reflection is priceless.
It's no real surprise teams like Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney manage sustained success and we implode after one year. Can't imagine hawthorn and Clarkson being proud of straight sets exits

What in the actual * does any of this mean?
We finished 4th, collingwood and Brisbane finished 1-2
They played in the GF.

So the best teams all season played in the GF.

How the * would we know there's a cultural issue in 2021? Maybe there wasn't? Maybe going back 2 years for this argument is insanely stupid. Like saying Richmond are still flag favourites because they won in 2020, that feels like a lifetime ago in footy terms and that's exactly us at the start of next year

Danster is drunk on MFC koolaid. Nobody chugs it harder.

Danster is drunk on MFC koolaid. Nobody chugs it harder.
It's like he's a robot who's been designed to be inflammatory and pick the opposite to the correct argument. Pissed off at every trade we make when most supporters like it, now we're unhappy with the club and according to him we are the Tom Brady of sustained image and excellence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean its not hard to work out, we had good results in 2021 coz we were locked in a hub during covid. Nothing to do but football.
Forced culture. Meanwhile we've underperformed in the majority of the time under Goody. Only 21 and 18 did we rise above expectations

The main contradiction I noticed was the claim that our culture is strong enough to withstand isolated incidents like Oliver and Smith but also Oliver's issues have been ongoing for years.

The fact that those issues ended up exploding so publicly should be a fair indicator that maybe the club hasn't been adequately set up to handle these things.

Having said what they've said about long-term issues, it's pretty hard for the MFC board and football department to now justify giving Oliver a 7-year $7m+ deal in 2022 isn't it?

100% , makes zero sense.

Words vs actions. That's where we're at. We heard the words. The pretty, textbook words about culture, accountability, and leadership. They sound great, but they're all for shit if the actions are incongruent with those words.

The core tenet of our culture is selflessness.

Back in the lead up to the premiership, we could see examples of it everywhere without having to tell people that's what it was.
We heard about the extra sessions, the "win the morning, win the day" club. We saw players making personal sacrifices for the betterment of the team. Brayshaw's wing role, Max leaving Jackson in the ruck in the GF, the mids working as a system.

Every action, even if it was responding to poor behaviour (E.g. Pickett and Spargo breaking covid protocols) reinforced the culture. We didn't hide behind subjective statements. We owned the mistake, owned the response and by doing so we showed everyone from the playing group to management, staff, and supporters that we truly were selfless.

Fast forward to now, and you just don't have that same reinforcement. The actions aren't proof points. They're being explained away by pretty words. We see selfishness without reprimand or repercussions. The disconnect between what our eyes see and what our ears hear is worse than that between our back and front halves.

I hear the arguments saying that our failure was one of skill execution or gameplan and not culture. In isolated cases, that's probably true. But where's the selflessness that makes sure that doesn't happen again? If our culture was as strong as we say it is, I'd expect we'd see more examples of selflessness that led to improved on-field performance. We've heard it, but we haven't seen it.

What matters now are the actions.

Words vs actions. That's where we're at. We heard the words. The pretty, textbook words about culture, accountability, and leadership. They sound great, but they're all for s**t if the actions are incongruent with those words.

The core tenet of our culture is selflessness.

Back in the lead up to the premiership, we could see examples of it everywhere without having to tell people that's what it was.
We heard about the extra sessions, the "win the morning, win the day" club. We saw players making personal sacrifices for the betterment of the team. Brayshaw's wing role, Max leaving Jackson in the ruck in the GF, the mids working as a system.

Stopped listening to Gus and Gawn cause they started getting w***er guests but I remember Gus casually saying last year they don't do that anymore cause people stopped showing up.

Remember thinking at the time it was a bad sign of complacency

The part where Goody was asked specifically if Oliver has a drug problem. ...He sure didnt say no
He’s obviously been getting on the gear and the piss too much but I think Goody was trying to point out (without actually saying it) that Clayton’s biggest issues relate to his general maturity.

Unfortunately he’s just very immature and it’s amplified when he gets loose on the piss.

I’m not in the pessimistic camp here as I don’t think the clubs issues are any worse than other clubs, but I do raise an eyebrow to the huge 7 year contract given to Clarry when they would have known him very well.

He’s obviously been getting on the gear and the piss too much but I think Goody was trying to point out (without actually saying it) that Clayton’s biggest issues relate to his general maturity.

Unfortunately he’s just very immature and it’s amplified when he gets loose on the piss.

I’m not in the pessimistic camp here as I don’t think the clubs issues are any worse than other clubs, but I do raise an eyebrow to the huge 7 year contract given to Clarry when they would have known him very well.
how do you know his problems aren't related to having adhd and its medication. It's a life long issue and whenever extra stressors come along it generally seems worse. As someone with adhd myself I can see how the pile on of issues hes had in the last year would be harder for someone with adhd so it would exacerbate the condition. It's a cognitive disability and our brains can only hold onto what would be the space of a pinhole camera in a normal brain. So add in a break up, an injury, once something else comes into that tiny space you have in your working memory something else from your life generally drops off and it can manifest through your behaviour and impulsivity and you end up having a lot of issues trying to balance everything and your brain goes into burnout very easily. People who don't understand the condition will call you immature because of the way you come across as handling things because you're expected to handle them in a neurotypical way when you don't have a neurotypical brain or coping skills. It's sad how little everyone seems to know about this. The club seem to be doing the right thing by him supporting him alongside his medical team to get himself right and back to where he needs to be. This takes a lot longer for a person with adhd than a person without a cognitive disability

how do you know his problems aren't related to having adhd and its medication. It's a life long issue and whenever extra stressors come along it generally seems worse. As someone with adhd myself I can see how the pile on of issues hes had in the last year would be harder for someone with adhd so it would exacerbate the condition. It's a cognitive disability and our brains can only hold onto what would be the space of a pinhole camera in a normal brain. So add in a break up, an injury, once something else comes into that tiny space you have in your working memory something else from your life generally drops off and it can manifest through your behaviour and impulsivity and you end up having a lot of issues trying to balance everything and your brain goes into burnout very easily. People who don't understand the condition will call you immature because of the way you come across as handling things because you're expected to handle them in a neurotypical way when you don't have a neurotypical brain or coping skills. It's sad how little everyone seems to know about this. The club seem to be doing the right thing by him supporting him alongside his medical team to get himself right and back to where he needs to be. This takes a lot longer for a person with adhd than a person without a cognitive disability
I've got a handful of kids in my class with ADHD and it's a fn ride everyday! Got a lot of sympathy for people with ADHD. My own 9yr old has ADHD along with level 2 autism. Anyone scoffing at what Oliver is dealing with is a fn ***hole

Because if it was just a medical issue they wouldn't float him for trade and tell him to shape up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back