Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone playing SuperCoach this year?

I’d run a board comp but my work gets sporadic and I’d hate to drop out or not do it properly.
I'll get the board league set up in the new year 👍

If you know, Saint's List manager Jarryd Roughead Resigned before xmas. we could do with a bonafide Forwards Coach

Mark Robinson reporting that Smith has been informed he's actually in line for a 2 year suspension, contrary to last year's reports that he'd only get 3 months.

Hope they can hurry up and deal with it so we can at least get a pre-season supplemental pick if there's anyone worth trying.

Exclusive: Demons’ Joel Smith faces minimum two-year ban for cocaine​

Melbourne footballer Joel Smith is facing a suspension of two years — and possibly longer — for taking cocaine.

Smith on Tuesday received a report from Sports Integrity Australia (SIA), which is believed to have found him guilty of taking a performance enhancing drug.

It’s expected Smith will fight the bombshell finding.
The hearing took place before Christmas.

Smith, who turns 28 next month, tested positive for cocaine on game day last year.

The urine sample was collected after the Demons defeated Hawthorn by 27 points at the MCG in round 23.

Smith’s appeal would centre on his camp successfully arguing that only a minuscule amount of cocaine was found in his system, ruling out the performance-enhancing finding.

The AFL Players Association is aware of the SIA letter to Smith.

It is understood SIA did not impose a penalty on the Demons forward, but sources told this masthead the findings pointed to at least a two-year suspension.

AFL spokesperson Jay Allen said: “The AFL advises that the matter involving Joel Smith of the Melbourne Football Club being investigated by Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) under the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code is ongoing.

“Joel remains provisionally suspended and as such he is not permitted to participate in Melbourne’s pre-season training when it recommences in the coming days.

“Due to the ongoing nature of the anti-doping process the AFL will not comment further at this time.”

The Smith and Demons camps had been hopeful that the swingman would escape with a three-month ban under WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) rules introduced in 2021.

The clause to escape with a three-month suspension for cocaine or marijuana centres on an athlete agreeing to undergo treatment for substance abuse.

They also must prove “the substance was used out-of-competition and that its use was unrelated to sporting performance”.

Smith’s issue is that cocaine was detected in his system during competition.

The Herald Sun exclusively revealed on October 19 that the AFL had a fresh drug scandal on its hands following a positive test.

A two-year suspension shapes as a hammer blow for a club firmly in premiership mode, but severely lacking firepower and connection forward of the ball.

Smith and Bayley Fritsch led Melbourne’s goalkicking in last year’s finals series, each kicking four goals as the club was eliminated in straight sets at the MCG for the second consecutive season.

Smith signed a two-year contract extension midway through 2022, with that deal expiring at the end of the coming season.

But several footy greats hit out at the possibility of Smith serving three months out of competition.

“They (the AFL) seem to reach in and find things that can minimise the impact of the penalty,” coaching legend Mick Malthouse said.

“Unfortunately, the AFL is always about image. If you have a soft penalty, you get a soft result. It’s got to be very, very harsh first up.”

Smith, the son of Dees great Shaun Smith, has played 42 games since he was signed as a Category B rookie in 2016.

Very ironic from Malthouse about penalties considering he supposedly turned a blind eye to his players at the Pies as long as they were ready to perform

Geez thats a big whack to Smith, but I don't have a lot of sympathy.

You've been a fringe player your whole life, you have a chance to play in a premiership and your partner has an impending baby. Why are you doing coke two days out from a game?
I think it's a bullshit punishment considering what he did relative to other punishments, but I also don't give a shit either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a bullshit punishment considering what he did relative to other punishments, but I also don't give a s**t either.

The performance enhancing bit is what kills him.

Looks like he'll fight it at least so it isn't set in stone yet, but won't be expecting him to play this year (Or again) myself.

You've been a fringe player your whole life, you have a chance to play in a premiership and your partner has an impending baby. Why are you doing coke two days out from a game?
Thankfully my job doesn't require drug tests, but as someone who has had a child I strongly advise doing as many substances as possible before they are born.

I know it technically shouldn’t matter, but the fact he was doing lines with Clarry who supposedly was known to be having big issues, will work against Smith.

No matter what he gets from ASADA, I think his papers are stamped at the Dees.

I know it technically shouldn’t matter, but the fact he was doing lines with Clarry who supposedly was known to be having big issues, will work against Smith.

No matter what he gets from ASADA, I think his papers are stamped at the Dees.
Clayton should get Richo to pay Smith's wage for the next two years.

He deserves it for stupidity really. Cocaine use isn't worth 2 years, but the stupidity of getting caught and doing it when he did is.

Ironic that Clayton is most likely addicted to something, yet is free to play Round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back