Mega Thread General Seven Discussion (Hate) 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure they are worse, but I'm wondering if they are going to use every teams full name on the score ticker, will be ridiculous when someone like collingwood play

They most likely will abbreviate it to C'WOOD MAGPIES if they have the full name. Or else just COLLINGWOOD.

Really not a fan of the score graphic being placed in the lower half of the screen. Was constantly getting in the way of the action and was far too big.

They most likely will abbreviate it to C'WOOD MAGPIES if they have the full name. Or else just COLLINGWOOD.

If you look at the "official" AFL fixtures, some teams have their nicknames included while others don't. My theory is they will go along the same lines as this, and towards the end when they showed all the odds for the remaining matches thats how each team was written. So some teams will just have their "location" name, while nicknames will also show for Adel, Bris, Geel, GC, GWS, Syd, WC, WB.

I like the overall graphics package. Their tennis coverage recieved a major revamp this year too, and the footy graphics went along the same lines as those. For me though, I would make the scorebug still just have the abbreviated names, and when a goal is kicked extend it out to the full names and logo that they show at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 time. I think if you have a short name like Carlton vs a long name like Western Bulldogs it will look a bit stupid staying like that for the whole game.

As for the rest of the coverage, I thought Brett Kirk was a natural as a boundary rider, while Ling was good but still a bit nervous and unsure at times, but I can see him growing into the role well. Richo is a great special comments man, but Luke Darcy can FOAD. I just don't like the way he goes about it.

BT is a great commentator, but I feel he is better if he has a co-commentator rather than going solo. I only caught a few of his foxtel matches and he is much better on radio with someone else alongside him IMO.

Don't know if it was Sevens poor audio mixing or the stadium itself, but the PA system was WAY too loud and the guys had to almost scream into the microphones at times.

And the megawall, seriously who gives a crap!? They show it for a few seconds before the quarter starts when NOTHING is happening anyway apart from players aimlessly walking around and the commentators are just talking. Some people need to get over it.

Having enjoyed 30 games of the 2012 NAB Cup in HD, you notice how poor SD broadcasts really are - dull, blurry and lifeless.

Every sport in the world is broadcast in HD, because its the modern day video standard across all genres (Movies, TV & Sport). The AFL should insist on HD broadcasts as a mandatory component of becoming a broadcast partner - it's a product quality issue.

It's insane that the North Melbourne VS Essendon game (FOX) will be broadcast at 5 times the quality of the Collingwood VS Hawthorn game (Ch 7).

Very sad that Ch 7 have Friday nights for the next 5 years, would be great if FOX produced every game and Ch 7 simulcast / delayed / downscaled their matches of choice.

Overall I thought it was a very good start.

Yes there was some issues (audio and nerves) but they will fix it

The graphics are a vast improvement.

The SNF logo reminds me if something you would see in the American NFL - pretty cool and modern

Commentary team worked well, Richo has stood up and improved again he is really turning into a great TV asset

On a small note - 7 you paid hundreds of millions of dollars for this at least dress Lingy and Kirky properly !

Overall very pleased!!

Ps- while it is annoying the awkward silence why should 7 give their competitor a free kick! Fox are lucky they have the simulcast rights really for 7s matches

Ps- while it is annoying the awkward silence why should 7 give their competitor a free kick! Fox are lucky they have the simulcast rights really for 7s matches

Given Fox PAID for those simulcast rights why should they be 'lucky' to have it, and Fox viewers shouldn't have to put up with the awkward silence because of 7's childishness.

Given Fox PAID for those simulcast rights why should they be 'lucky' to have it, and Fox viewers shouldn't have to put up with the awkward silence because of 7's childishness.

7 need people to watch their broadcast to get $$ ad revenue. If they don't then they lose on the telecast deal. That means next time around they won't pay up and then the ultimate loser is the game.

Of course even more people would skip over to FOX if they gave extra insight that the actual host network viewers are not even getting...

Also I dont get all this who-ha over HD. 7 by Australian law have to put 4 games on their free to air main channel in certain areas like Vic. That channel hasn't been given the broad width by the Govt to show HD quality TV. Why would they spend all that money to do HD when they couldn't benefit from it.

That would be completely pointless as 7 are not even filming the games in HD. The viewers in those states are only seeing the upscaled version of the broadcast on 7mate.

I think you'll find that 7 use a HD truck for their important matches ie Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon

Great first up effort. After spending craploads of money on the rights I was worried that the coverage would be cheap as. But aside from the HD, there wasn't much to fault.

BT is the next 20 years of commentary. Was by himself and still fantastic all night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: General Seven Discussion 2012

I'm guessing the two CH7 threads have been merged because this isn't a "hate" thread. So I deleted "hate" from the title from this post. Somebody should edit the original thread title.

I thought the coverage was ok. A bit nervous by Kirk and Ling but they are pretty new to the caper and will settle down and gain confidence. Good to have some new faces instead of Denis and Bruce. I thought there were too many members of the commentary team though. It's a tad overdone. CH7 picture quality is poor. Not even good SD, let alone HD. Your eyes get used to it though - it's more of a factor when you first switch over from a good SD or HD channel.

I can understand a little support for GWS given that the expectation was they would get smashed.

I can't. Their job isn't to barrack for mediocre opposition. It's to call the game accurately and impartially.

Is Bt being paid by GWS??

His bias is a disgrace!!!

I've thought Taylor was a disgrace for a long time now. Last night just confirmed it.

Seriously, all you needed was Demetriou pulling the strings in the box - what a bunch of gutless puppets. GWS were SHIT and clearly out of their depth, I thought Sydney were pretty sloppy overall. But still every player gets talked up like he's the next Ablett. What a pile of propaganda and horseshit.

Cannot wait to take on this filth and hopefully smashing the crap out of them. Desperately hoping Folau (sorry, he's "Izzy" to everyone now apparently) plays too - he's awful. Priceless footage of him with his head in hands realising he got thrashed by Sydney's key defenders.

Would have liked for Taylor to learn our players names. Craig Bird is not Nick Smith, he kicked two goals and was called Smith both times, and now the afl highlights package is doing the same =\

3 things for me, and it's probably being picky with some;

1) That red thing that comes across when they go to a replay is horrid, it looks somewhat 3D and just looks bad.

2) Scorebug isn't the best, maybe a bit smaller like they had last season with the names of teams in short, eg, WB, GWS, SYD and so on.

3) A shame 7 still don't film the games in HD.

Apart from those 3 things, I enjoyed the coverage and commentary and pre and post match analysis.

They DO! it just never leave the OB truck in HD to the studio :rolleyes:

Exactly. So even if they film in HD they can't broadcast in HD as their channel doesn't have the bandwidth. And Fox Footy are only simulcasting their feed. I guess once analogue is completely switched off this will fre eup room and will mean that Seven can make their main channel HD and 7Mate SD.

I don't care what people say/think, I like Luke Darcy. He doesn't. come across as unintelligible as Richo, or as spineless as BT. I like him. I think he has a nice future as a commentator.

I dunno what it is, but I can't handle him. He just doesn't work for me. I think it stems from him trying to be one of the boys, anD he doesn't seem to have that banter down that Triple M is famous for.

That shouldn't be a problem on 7 though, they seem to be going for a mildly serious tone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General Seven Discussion (Hate) 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back