Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Enjoyed this game, good standard of footy. Clarence better than advertised. Bet they'd love a ruckman so Sam Green could go back. Tigers much more experienced and it showed, probably ran the game out better. They won without most of their guns having a big impact. Hope Rainbird's knee is ok, came down heavy late in the game.

Launceston without Harper, Riley, Groenewegen, Musicka, Cody Thorp, Hodge, Taylor, Thurlow, Smith yesterday. Wonder how many come back in to play at Twins next week. Huge game.

PlayHQ's very very very unpopular amongst footy people in country Vic from what I've heard.
From club officials, to players and supporters and local media. Cheap crap.

The biggest issue is the inputting of data. Yeah, volunteers, thanks for their service...but does it hurt to just do a quick check to make sure things add up, you got all the players, and the actual scores...? Play HQ is actually doing that at the moment, SP isn't, although some of the data makes me think they're cutting and pasting from SP anyway...Riley Oakley has no capitals in his name on either site...!

Speaking of player counts, anyone who's got the answer, they've missed a Tigers player both weeks, and T.Green from Glenorchy, what's his jumper number...?

5/6. 2 Norths and...hmm...KTO top of the ladder battle...nah, Launceston, let's not start with Hail Mary's this early in a season...

The biggest issue is the inputting of data. Yeah, volunteers, thanks for their service...but does it hurt to just do a quick check to make sure things add up, you got all the players, and the actual scores...? Play HQ is actually doing that at the moment, SP isn't, although some of the data makes me think they're cutting and pasting from SP anyway...Riley Oakley has no capitals in his name on either site...!

Speaking of player counts, anyone who's got the answer, they've missed a Tigers player both weeks, and T.Green from Glenorchy, what's his jumper number...?

5/6. 2 Norths and...hmm...KTO top of the ladder battle...nah, Launceston, let's not start with Hail Mary's this early in a season...
Even the TSL app fixture is wrong. North Launceston playing twice some weeks for example.

Glenorchy in a bad bad way. The leaders of the club have sold their kids down the river. Should of gone to SFL. Stubborn pride or just lack of care I’m not sure but they hardly can get two teams up. No 18s and a 16s that are in Div 2 and struggle for numbers.

Fascinating that ex pies players and some greats are still playing elsewhere. Wouldn’t they have any compassion or empathy to their club and go and help out by playing?

Glenorchy in a bad bad way. The leaders of the club have sold their kids down the river. Should of gone to SFL. Stubborn pride or just lack of care I’m not sure but they hardly can get two teams up. No 18s and a 16s that are in Div 2 and struggle for numbers.

Fascinating that ex pies players and some greats are still playing elsewhere. Wouldn’t they have any compassion or empathy to their club and go and help out by playing?
It’s all about enjoyment now mate, the players you mention are gonna enjoy their footy in lower levels more so than in what looks like being a very long season in the TSL. When do you expect them to finish up? Almost all have given the club good service. Attention needs to be paid to the pathway or lack thereof. North Launceston lost half their side from last year but appear to be going ok as they have the pathways in place. Glenorchy have a worrying lack of that in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s all about enjoyment now mate, the players you mention are gonna enjoy their footy in lower levels more so than in what looks like being a very long season in the TSL. When do you expect them to finish up? Almost all have given the club good service. Attention needs to be paid to the pathway or lack thereof. North Launceston lost half their side from last year but appear to be going ok as they have the pathways in place. Glenorchy have a worrying lack of that in place.
You can still enjoy your footy and lose games. I personally wouldn’t finish up with the club in that state.
There is no pathway. Who was the last champion that came out of the Northern Suburbs? The parents in that zone aren’t signing their kids up to play footy. It’s simple. Easier to give them an iPad.
I don’t disagree with you and it’s why I maintain the blame has to be heaped on the president, board and coach. This isn’t North Hobart 4 years ago. North Hobart had gun players coming through the academies in 15s,16s and 18s. Glenorchy have a handful. Couple that with the ridiculous Claremont juniors program that continues to cease at under 15s to 16s level. Which results in boys going here there and everywhere and you have what you have.

You can still enjoy your footy and lose games. I personally wouldn’t finish up with the club in that state.
There is no pathway. Who was the last champion that came out of the Northern Suburbs? The parents in that zone aren’t signing their kids up to play footy. It’s simple. Easier to give them an iPad.
I don’t disagree with you and it’s why I maintain the blame has to be heaped on the president, board and coach. This isn’t North Hobart 4 years ago. North Hobart had gun players coming through the academies in 15s,16s and 18s. Glenorchy have a handful. Couple that with the ridiculous Claremont juniors program that continues to cease at under 15s to 16s level. Which results in boys going here there and everywhere and you have what you have.

Clearly NHFC have benefitted greatly from having Sandy Bay juniors, also kids through the private schools in the city area. They still have a way to go to be finals competitive. Kingston have a young growing area. Really both should have been finals ready before now, Better late than never I suppose.

Clarence too have growth areas, including Brighton which was originally part of the Glenorchy zone, S.Wade took it away & gifted it to his club.

Talking to people in the area I know, Glenorchy is an older area now. Its family growth is in the immigrant population. Its become a very multicultural area. My friends send kids to Glenorchy primary school who noted the early kids are nearly all from migrant families.

I see the Glenorchy knights have a huge junior soccer program, filled with migrant kids. They were also gifted a chunk of money via the old Glenorchy Croatia club members. That enabled them to buy some top end players & have success at senior levels. Yes I know people in that club too!!

Basketball is booming with games at the DEC attracting kids interest.

Both Claremont & Glenorchy seem to have struggled with this situation. AFLTas have recognised the problem, made comment in the paper a few weeks ago, & chosen to do nothing.

AFLTas only care about getting elite kids into Devils programs. Especially elite private school kids. Their lack of care is a disgrace.

I'm not defending the clubs, but I saw some figures a while ago which showed the demographic changes in the Northern Suburbs, This problem was foretold a few years ago.

Anyway I think comment about giving ipads to kids is just ignoring the real situation & not particularly helpful. After all we want kids playing our game & enable good opportunity for each club to be a competitive pathway.

Don't we?

Clearly NHFC have benefitted greatly from having Sandy Bay juniors, also kids through the private schools in the city area. They still have a way to go to be finals competitive. Kingston have a young growing area. Really both should have been finals ready before now, Better late than never I suppose.

Clarence too have growth areas, including Brighton which was originally part of the Glenorchy zone, S.Wade took it away & gifted it to his club.

Talking to people in the area I know, Glenorchy is an older area now. Its family growth is in the immigrant population. Its become a very multicultural area. My friends send kids to Glenorchy primary school who noted the early kids are nearly all from migrant families.

I see the Glenorchy knights have a huge junior soccer program, filled with migrant kids. They were also gifted a chunk of money via the old Glenorchy Croatia club members. That enabled them to buy some top end players & have success at senior levels. Yes I know people in that club too!!

Basketball is booming with games at the DEC attracting kids interest.

Both Claremont & Glenorchy seem to have struggled with this situation. AFLTas have recognised the problem, made comment in the paper a few weeks ago, & chosen to do nothing.

AFLTas only care about getting elite kids into Devils programs. Especially elite private school kids. Their lack of care is a disgrace.

I'm not defending the clubs, but I saw some figures a while ago which showed the demographic changes in the Northern Suburbs, This problem was foretold a few years ago.

Anyway I think comment about giving ipads to kids is just ignoring the real situation & not particularly helpful. After all we want kids playing our game & enable good opportunity for each club to be a competitive pathway.

Don't we?
I’m a teacher in the area. The kids do get given an ipad and phone instead of a ball. I see it every day. I see no kids on the ovals and rather in the library playing video games. I hear parents tell me they cant be bothered taking their kid to sport on a weekend and would rather buy them a ps4. I’m not bemoaning it. It’s just reality now. Footy has lost its purpose.

I’m a teacher in the area. The kids do get given an ipad and phone instead of a ball. I see it every day. I see no kids on the ovals and rather in the library playing video games. I hear parents tell me they cant be bothered taking their kid to sport on a weekend and would rather buy them a ps4. I’m not bemoaning it. It’s just reality now. Footy has lost its purpose.

I don't doubt your anecdotal 'evidence'.

The point is what are AFLTas doing since they acknowledged the problem.

How are Glenorchy knights awash with juniors, don't those kids get ipads, they live in the area too!

Anyway, don't kids do PE these days? How do you just allow video games in the library anyway?

I don't doubt your anecdotal 'evidence'.

The point is what are AFLTas doing since they acknowledged the problem.

How are Glenorchy knights awash with juniors, don't those kids get ipads, they live in the area too!

Anyway, don't kids do PE these days? How do you just allow video games in the library anyway?
We run a 6 week afl course as part of the curriculum. We had no interest for a football team when we put the call out from 700 students we got around 10 interested. Games club is a thing at our school it has 80 members. Maybe there awash as it’s a great way to meet people and be part of the new community which you suggest as they are migrants? The library is used for gaming as there is a demand for it and they can be supervised there.
AFLTAS aren’t doing a thing, Glenorchy aren’t doing a thing and an AFL team here won’t do a thing either.

We run a 6 week afl course as part of the curriculum. We had no interest for a football team when we put the call out from 700 students we got around 10 interested. Games club is a thing at our school it has 80 members. Maybe there awash as it’s a great way to meet people and be part of the new community which you suggest as they are migrants? The library is used for gaming as there is a demand for it and they can be supervised there.
AFLTAS aren’t doing a thing, Glenorchy aren’t doing a thing and an AFL team here won’t do a thing either.

JJ's lifted the interest & kids with basketballs. AFL team will do the same.

Clubs have limited resources to get into schools. AFL cut a lot of support $$$. The role of 'development' was taken by AFLTas some years ago.

Ring them up.

I'm sure if a sport shows interest in the kids, they will reciprocate.

I spoke to a cricket person last year who told me that Cricket Tas did not schedule one school visit in the northern suburbs schools last year. Every other area had such visits. Also they've not allocated a contracted cricketer to Glenorchy club for about a decade. They have about 20 or so on the books!!

I don't know if they've been embarrassed into doing some visits the season just gone, I must search the guy up again, but what does that tell you?. Equity? Fairness?

Remove this Banner Ad

General TSL Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back