Gerard Whateley slams footy chat rooms

Remove this Banner Ad

"It's worse in the popular footy chat rooms. The abuse in these forums beggars belief both of the participants and the correspondents.

You'd be forgiven for concluding Aussie rules inflicts nothing but desolation, division and bitterness. They can be miserable websites, written by miserable people, for miserable people to read."

He definitely has a point, this place is not for the feint hearted ;)

Whenever large sums of money are involved there is always going to be alot of pressure on the participants, it's the nature of the beast.

Gerard Whateley, in this great article about the demise of sport, also slams footy chat rooms and the people who use them. Love to hear everyone's thoughts.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/04/18/2975_geelong_sports.html

This line says it all for me - (QUOTE) "Footy fans see it as their right to form instant opinion and are goaded to express it".

Should we just leave it up to pea brain journos with crayons Gerard?
3/4 of what they say is absolute untrue rubbish. At least on Bigfooty we're only 2/3 rubbish.

Still LMAO at him being dragged away by security during a cross to Telstra Dome on Ch 10 news a few years ago, while screaming 'Back to you Quarters'. Funniest thing I have ever seen on TV.

Seems funny that he rags on everyday forumites for discussing the Whitnall case, when its the journo's that splash it all over the front pages. Publish it but don't talk about it?

Seems funny that he rags on everyday forumites for discussing the Whitnall case, when its the journo's that splash it all over the front pages. Publish it but don't talk about it?

My thoughts exactly.

The journos stir the hornets' nest and then sit back and enjoy the show - I don't think they are in a position to complain. Perhaps Gerard should be going after the knobs who write the sensational drivel that appears in the media before going off on those who merely consume and analyse it.

No wonder he's cranky - Apparently Caro knocked him back.

3y6m89i.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to se that Whateley is that well versed on the subject that he refers to it as a "footy chat room"
That's what I thought too.

He can't be referring to BigFooty then, no chat rooms here. ;)

Gerard Whateley, in this great article about the demise of sport, also slams footy chat rooms and the people who use them. Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/04/18/2975_geelong_sports.html

Gerard What?_ly

Now addyuponfingersguy.... this bloke sounds like a Geelong Newbie BF poster!!!!!!!!:D;)

Who as a mild mannered, innocent enough old bloke, who fondly remembers the courtesy of the 50's and sticks old yellow fading newspaper quotes on his study wall. He has strayed naively into a footy forum, maybe even stuck neck out in Bay 13, without any understanding or any of the skills to cope. He has probably copped some nasty low blows (from 14 year old posters) and has been mighty annoyed and frustrated that posters didn't respect his 'superior' mature opinions.

Ill equiped to mount any argument totally 'pwn3d' he demonstrates his complete lack of ideas or journalistic skills by penning an article the majority of which is a personal opinion about a place where the "miserable go to read", should have said and get arse kicked too.

Then although completely aware of his inadequacy then appeals to the captive Catter mad audience of the local rag and tries to get a little bit of a smile and respect by crawling on the latest "better than God" bandwagon, and sucking up to the other loser desperados who follow one of the many footy clubs in the news and chat for the wrong reasons!

Utterly bitter and defeated, lost for his own words or common sense he looks on his study wall for some other journalist to provide the conclusion to his masterpiece. He consoles himself that it doesn't really matter sport is not the most important thing, sooky sooky lala!!!!, he is gunnar take his bat home and pull it all by himself!

Come on fella's be kind to geriatric newbies or they might go away for ever!!!:eek:

Guy's add it up!......Bye Bye Newbie:D

He's having a go at the media too, read the full article not just the selective quotes here.
It's true since the money explosion in footy it has got very sleazy and personal. Media outlets trying to make their coin back any way they can.

Regarding Gerard, you can still see him Sunday mornings on the Outsiders often talking about these sleazy stories he seems to hate so much.

This line says it all for me - (QUOTE) "Footy fans see it as their right to form instant opinion and are goaded to express it".

Should we just leave it up to pea brain journos with crayons Gerard?
3/4 of what they say is absolute untrue rubbish. At least on Bigfooty we're only 2/3 rubbish.
For once i completely agree with a richmond supporter.

Hi Gerard

Interesting article, but ultimately it was a bit of negative whinge.
Why don't you write a positive story about football, you goat?

Just another brick in the wall...

Regards,

Chewy

Starting to happen in Adelaide and it seems to be driven by those who have the most to lose.

Instant news and opinions is the way of the future, what makes a ''journo'' any different from some of the more capable posters on here? A piece of paper? Its the thoughts and ideas that people appreciate, and yes even with all the dross and detritus there is some gold on BF, just as there is in the newspapers

Chief must {edit} every time BF or ''footy chat rooms' get a mention as the noobs come searching for this mystical land...kaching kaching

Gerard should stop biting the hand that feeds him.

These "Chat Rooms" give these bastards something to write about each week.

I was actually going to start a thread about how many topics on BF forums magically appear in the H/Sun a day or two later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Whateley slams footy chat rooms

Remove this Banner Ad

Back