Gerard Whateley slams footy chat rooms

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't disagree more. His article perpetuates the evils he complains of.

not quite sure how that negates my argument...both are possible. A thief calling a murderer a criminal sits in the same boat, but he's not wrong.

Thats because he's a crap journo, not because he expressed an opinion.

crap or not, I think in this case his opinion has some merit. More than some of the attacks levelled in this thread.

No-one is claiming BigFopoty is a bastion of reasoned positive thought. The nerve he hit was the "can stand a sanctimonious incompetent hypocrite" nerve.

I don't recall the bit where he excluded himself from the list of accused...show me where the hypocrisy is? And anyway, isn't this a bit of pot and kettle? Sanctimony, incompetence and hypocrisy thrive here.

No-one is jealous of him getting the glory that a paid job at the Addy brings. he's criticising free expression. in football free expression is constituted mostly in barracking, either for or against. Silly barracking engenders as silly response and its an enjoyable clash of silliness. Decent threads get the odd bit of praise, and thats a nice bonus.

Unlike journos, BigFooty posters aren't sucking arse for advertisers & media barons.

Journalists propagate the nasty "private lives" stories, so for a journo to complain they are discussed stinks. Everyone sees the footy and we all talk about it. Its sleazes like Whateley and Caro etc who bring the slime into the light.

He's not criticising free expression, just questioning whether its use takes us in some unsavoury directions.

"But there is a treaty governing the reverse that has been violated also. We _ the public and the media _ have lost perspective of what sport is. "

This seems all-inclusive to me.

"Everyone sees the footy and we all talk about it. Its sleazes like Whateley and Caro etc who bring the slime into the light."

This does not. No sleazes trolling the bigfooty boards?

You sound like an aggrieved journo yourself, sneering at the amateurs for tripping a hack on his own lying tongue*;)

*Not seriously suggesting you are a journo, I wouldn't want to really insult you.

No, I'm not a journo, nor an aspiring journo, nor a Gerard Whately fan. Just like a good argument...btw I wouldn't consider the term journo an insult. It's a job.

I'm sure Gerard wouldn't be the only journo to visit BigFooty, I'd bet they all do. It's the easiest way to see what the fans are thinking and which issues are resonating with them.
For the same reason, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Andrew Demetriou is lurking on here. If he isn't, maybe he should.

not quite sure how that negates my argument...both are possible. A thief calling a murderer a criminal sits in the same boat, but he's not wrong.

crap or not, I think in this case his opinion has some merit. More than some of the attacks levelled in this thread.

I don't recall the bit where he excluded himself from the list of accused...show me where the hypocrisy is? And anyway, isn't this a bit of pot and kettle? Sanctimony, incompetence and hypocrisy thrive here.

He's not criticising free expression, just questioning whether its use takes us in some unsavoury directions.

"But there is a treaty governing the reverse that has been violated also. We _ the public and the media _ have lost perspective of what sport is. "

This seems all-inclusive to me.

"Everyone sees the footy and we all talk about it. Its sleazes like Whateley and Caro etc who bring the slime into the light."

This does not. No sleazes trolling the bigfooty boards?

No, I'm not a journo, nor an aspiring journo, nor a Gerard Whately fan. Just like a good argument...btw I wouldn't consider the term journo an insult. It's a job.

Gee, first GWhateley disgusied as 'addyguy', then GLongshanks as 'clogwearer'!

Is gerard a journo, sheesh who would have thought that........

If Gerard was a smart journo he might think about not biting the hand that feeds him...........you twat.

"THE balance has been completely lost. Sport's capacity for joy is being diminished."

Try telling that to the 500,000 or so people that turn up to watch their teams play every weekend.

Its not to say that he doesnt make some valid points in his somewhat incoherent article, but it points more to one of the fundamental tendencies of human nature which is restricted not just to footy forums, or sport in general, but to nearly all facets of our lives. The tendency to speak up only when complaining.

Think about it, when was the last time you wrote a letter or made a phone call to commend someone or something. I would be surprised if most of us have ever done it all. Now think about how quickly you are on the phone if your bank loses some of your money, or the council calculated your rates incorrectly, or the cab ripped you off or the bus was late or any one of an infinite number of annoyances.

This tendency to only speak up when disappointed isnt limited to footy forums or sport. It is everywhere, on television, in letters to the editor in the newspapers, in calls made to talkback radio. We only pass comment when something has disappointed us or we feel that we are in some way owed something.

Mr. Whately, if you do read this, its not that we are miserable people in a miserable place. It's the fact that we care about our footy so much that we want to be involved, we want to talk to other people about it, we want our opinions to be heard.

In the electronic age we dont need to wait for the evening news, we dont need to go out and buy the paper. We can get it all online, instantly, and these slower methods of communication and reporting are rapidly disappearing. You are not the only one, sir, capable of distinguishing fact from rumour. We come here to talk about the thing we love and that is footy, in all its ups and downs.

Think about it.

Murdoch get stories from Abbott's office???? What planet are you on???? Julia "I must remember to smile" Gillard's or Anthony Alabanese's maybe.

Ever heard of a bloke called Andrew Bolt. What planet are you on??????

I didn't mean Murdoch himself from these offices, I mean his stooges. If you refuse to believe then you will find out one day.

Is gerard a journo, sheesh who would have thought that........

If Gerard was a smart journo he might think about not biting the hand that feeds him...........you twat.
That's his job. He is a journo and a radio personality who you can listen to on Grandstand.
The only twat around here is you and those who are bagging the shit out of him by posting this negative shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

failry sure i read the same article (with the odd name or location changes) a few months ago on a us newspaper website, but im ****ed if i can find it again, will keep looking tho.

& btw, i originaly thought the article to be spot on, now its been redressed by an aussie reporter does it hold the same weight? not sure....

Rest assured I'm not Gerard - just a footy fan from Catland. Go Cats!

Well, for a newbie with few posts yet, there is an extremely large proportion which quote Gerard Whoevers' articles in Geelong Addy with glowing compliments! Let's hope you are not HE otherwise seek psychiatric help immediately!

Are you just spaming BF to get some sort of hit count and recognition of the local rag? but in the same breath a poor attempt to inflame reaction and doing the same thing the addy article is accusing Forums of doing?:thumbsdown:

Interestingly the majority of those articles were commenting on Cousins in "tut-tut terms" the very thing the subject article denounces.

No one cares who you are, but you obviously have a more than vested interest in it! So if you really seek feedback???.... then IMO if a sport journalist is to build credibility and following the first thing, would be to avoid hypocrisy, and bring some original thought out in articles.:eek:

The sub standard media hacks often try and use sites such as this to affirm their rumour laden stories.

Whately is so light weight he gets blown away in the breeze.

Those of us who use these sites do so dor fun and to discuss the game we love.

Gerad have another try to patch it up with Caro. You poor simple sod.

Ever heard of a bloke called Andrew Bolt. What planet are you on??????

I didn't mean Murdoch himself from these offices, I mean his stooges. If you refuse to believe then you will find out one day.

Bolt is the exception to the rule, the one member of the Murdoch press that hasn't crawled up Rudd's slimy ass, the lone member of the Murdoch press that remains giving the government a fair go.(and if he were getting info from a govt minister's office it would be far more likely to be Costello's than Abbott's) Now if you had been talking about the Packer Press siding with the government your little rant would have had more cred.

Bolt is the exception to the rule, the one member of the Murdoch press that hasn't crawled up Rudd's slimy ass, the lone member of the Murdoch press that remains giving the government a fair go.(and if he were getting info from a govt minister's office it would be far more likely to be Costello's than Abbott's) Now if you had been talking about the Packer Press siding with the government your little rant would have had more cred.

You are the only person I have ever come across who doesn't believe that his bias is heavily stacked to the right and that he hasn't done plenty of deals with the Howard Gov't . Even amongst staunch Liberal supporters I know .Just look at the stable of journalists he has, whilst employing 10% on the left for appearances!!!!

Anyway, how about that Gerard Whateley ;)

You are the only person I have ever come across who doesn't believe that his bias is heavily stacked to the right and that he hasn't done plenty of deals with the Howard Gov't . Even amongst staunch Liberal supporters I know .Just look at the stable of journalists he has, whilst employing 10% on the left for appearances!!!!

Anyway, how about that Gerard Whateley ;)

Liberal supporters at ALP headquarters.......well I never.

You guys are woeful at comprehension.

He wasn't slagging off chat rooms. He was slagging off everyone, media especially, that took more pleasure in the follies of sport, rather than the good things about it.

The press who continually demand slagging off players and clubs (Caroline Wilson and Robert Walls) are the worst for this, and he knows it. His opening gambit is about how the sports pages reflected the headlines - full of bad things, rather than great things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Whateley slams footy chat rooms

Remove this Banner Ad

Back