GF Eve holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

How has this ruined it? You can do the same thing but now don't need to take annual leave
They've re-routed the parade because the CBD will be dead, and the club has changed the date of the lunch because most people want it to be a work day, so they can come in, do a couple of hours work then nick of to the lunch.

So the lunch will be on the Thursday, two days out, with no parade. Rooned I tells you!! ;)

Are people going to get public holiday rates for the Saturday if they work? If not it seems like a pretty pointless holiday(not that there a aren't a few already).

RIP small business owners
ANZAC Day wasn't a public holiday on a weekday this year. So this year there's as many public holidays for Monday - Friday businesses as any other day. So if you could explain how this year is so much worse that'd be gr8.

If it was a Derby Grand final then we would see the WA fans whinging. If you come over for the Grand Final Parade then the majority of businesses that stay open will probably have a 10-20% mark up due to Public Holiday surcharges.

Plus we have the Union Picnic Day (for union workers only) on the Monday after the Grand Final so it's a really long weekend for those people.

I'd be laughing with you mate! It's the most pointless public holiday I've ever seen!

Can someone remind me what Boxing Day is for, again? I'm just assuming that it wasn't introduced entirely to get us to the stocktake sales, give us a chance to return dud Christmas presents and get a sellout at the MCG.

Queen's Birthday is shit. Melbourne Cup Day is shit (not the actual holidays, they rock, just the dubious reasons for having them). I could go on. The AFL Grand Final is more important to the majority of the public in this state than any number of other public holidays, including Anzac Day (yeah, I said it). And I don't really give a stuff if it's Fremantle and West Coast playing, or Fremantle and the Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more the better, could not care one ounce for businesses crying poor.

Thanks mate. I work for myself and my business is reliant on businesses that will now be closed on that day so I will be losing the money I had expected to make on that day, no two ways about it. Stupid idea.

If a small business can't handle being closed for one day, then they aren't very good at what they do

They can handle it but don't feed us a load of bulldust about it being good for the economy which is what the government are claiming, it won't be. Business groups have said it's a bad idea but the government went and gazetted it anyway. Gotta to keep their promise to the unions, I mean, electorate. Give me a break.

Thanks mate. I work for myself and my business is reliant on businesses that will now be closed on that day so I will be losing the money I had expected to make on that day, no two ways about it. Stupid idea.

If it wasn't popular, they wouldn't have done it.

Why are you more important than the many people that will be delighted to have the day off?

If a small business can't handle being closed for one day, then they aren't very good at what they do
Andrews clearly didn't think this through during his vote grabbing exercise, the raw impact from lost production is likely to be between $717 million and $898 million a year. It is unnecessary and will fail within a couple of years as the parade will be a disaster, small business will suffer because people will have the Friday off and turn it into a long weekend taking Monday along with it. Less than a month later we will have another day off for the Melbourne Cup, small business in the CBD cops it in the arse as the city empties for days! I wouldn't mind betting neutral supporters will go away for a long weekend rather than watch the Grand Final at home on the Saturday? Gee i hope Freo play the Eagles in the GF this year!
The only thing that will save the parade this year is the Bulldogs making the GF!

Remove this Banner Ad

GF Eve holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back