Preview GF Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no doubt Baker is in to "rough up" our boys. You can also just about guarantee he will try and clean up somebody. This is his "last hoorah". He would have been told to do whatever it takes, fairly or not. There is no other explanation as to why he has been selected, being out of the game for 3 months.

We must not get unsettled and must stay completely focused and in control at all times. He will most likely go to Dids, so Dids needs to be smart.

Never thought I'd say it, but Razor Ray might just be our friend.

For those saying Leon shouldn't be in the team, I ask a simple question.

What is the one thing that we excel in more then any other team?

FORWARD PRESSURE.

Goldsack was not going to help us in that area, in fact Goldy was our worst player in the first half against Geelong, if you watch the replay, you can not disagree.

Leon was going to play last week, but because of a slight impact injury he didn't.

Leon if he had recovered from that setback was always going to play this week, whether you like it or not, he is an integral part of our "structure" and gameplan.

And as for those saying Brown should have played instead of Leon, WOW, what a dumb comment, after StKilda drop McEvoy, we make the exact opposite move and make our side slower and bigger, hmm, just dumb.

/end rant.;)

Relieved to see Presti back in. Think we will benefit hugely from his experience on this huge stage. Not so sure about davis. Yes, his pressure is excellent, but just hasn't hit his stride this season. Could he lose us a premiership??

The two ins were shoe ins!

Presti is our main defender - feel sorry for Brown but at times he does go to ground unnecessarily, Presti is a very experienced and vital defensive cog.

Neon has kicked 26 goals and must be watched, Goldy was only in last week due to A Neon "niggle".

Both bring a wealth of experience to the big stage.

Go Pies!

FORWARD PRESSURE.

Yeah you're right, and we were much better at applying that pressure without Davis in the side last week. A very good argument for why Davis should be left out I agree :thumbsu:

For all those who are saying "why are we chaning a winning formula", ahhh we aren't.

Leon has been a part of it all year, we need him against the Saints. Speed in the forward line is what kills the saints. Leon bashed them up last time, and probably last 10 times he's played the Saints

FORWARD PRESSURE.

Goldsack was not going to help us in that area, in fact Goldy was our worst player in the first half against Geelong, if you watch the replay, you can not disagree.

Leon was going to play last week, but because of a slight impact injury he didn't.

Leon if he had recovered from that setback was always going to play this week, whether you like it or not, he is an integral part of our "structure" and gameplan.

And as for those saying Brown should have played instead of Leon, WOW, what a dumb comment, after StKilda drop McEvoy, we make the exact opposite move and make our side slower and bigger, hmm, just dumb.

/end rant.;)

You are right in all your points Matty. Actually really like this post.

N.Brown + Presti was never a realistic choice and with St Kilda trying to max their midfield rotations we need to do the same and not come in too tall which might almost make Davis a good selection. For mine N.Brown only comes in if Presti isn't right to play.

While Goldsack was poor last weekend he is still my preference to Davis. For structure I agree, we need a forward pocket, but I don't like Davis' game at all as a forward pocket, if we could play Dick we would, but otherwise I'd just play Sidebottom down there and play Goldsack instead. I know we put huge emphasis on pressure, and we are not wrong to do this, but I think with matchups he could be interesting in a role as a defender + at times defensive forward.

Davis won't cost us the game, but I think Goldsack was the better choice. Goldsack for mine offers allot more around the ground and I think could probably do a bit more on our way to winning. But I wouldn't put him in last minute, as Mick said he'd be riding the emotional rollercoaster and Davis plainly put would feel pretty bummed.

Goldy plays his best footy when there is confidence in him, because he hasn't been selected he won't have that confidence, so Davis now has to be left in the side.

Good luck Leon :thumbsu:

So if we have a win, how much would a sherrin, signed by the entire 2010 side be worth?

Leon has regularly played his best game after missing a game (or games), he will draw a quality defender (or he will carve the Saints up), he can be used in the midfield rotations (even if only for a short burst) and if he gets his tail up early, he could be a game breaker. I believe in MM, and I believe in our team, we WILL win, I predict a margin of about 53 points.
Carn the Pies.

The fact that Leon hasn't really been in the midfield rotations unlike every other small forward leads me to believe he can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that Leon hasn't really been in the midfield rotations unlike every other small forward leads me to believe he can't.

Leon hasn't really needed to play in the midfield owing to his excellent ability to exert forward pressure.

Last time he missed 2 weeks this year he came out & tore the WB apart.

I just pray he is moving better than he was a couple of weeks ago against the Dogs, I'm not overly confident though.

Anyway, he has his chance now, it's up to him to take it.

I have no issue with Presti. I WANTED Presti in. Perfect in.

But how many times in 10 YEARS of finals does Leon have to do nothing before Mick wakes up? What happened to horses for courses? So after Leon costs us a flag, will Mick FINALLY get rid of him?

Because I'm dying to know where this optimism for Leon comes from. Even against the Bulldogs when we smashed them, Leon did nothing. So I just don't get it.

I'm just flabbergasted beyond belief.

Against the Dogs Leon had a goal, 4 goal assists and 5 tackles. EF against Crows in 2008 Leon was BOG in the 1st half. He also kicked 3 in a PF against Port in 2003 and always did well against them.

Leon has a pretty good record against St.Kilda. BOG in 2008. I'd like to see him get some touches higher up the ground early and then float forward occasionally.

Leon is fresh and his time is now. I stella performance here and his poor finals performances of the past will be forgotten. Just needs some early touches. He's a confidence player. I'd even push him back, get a possies or 2 and then release him forward.

Have a look at Steve Johnsons finals record outside of his 6 goal norm smith medal GF. Nothing to right home about but most consider him a gun finals player.

You've been really balanced with your views this year Ed. Don't stop now.

Now is the time to all support our guys for this big day, no matter what. After the game, feel free to unleash but until then, lets all stay united. It really is us v AFL.

Bring it home boys.

That's the thing, he just wasn't moving well. He hasn't really been moving well all year. Lost his zip. Hopefully he can just play the role and be in the right place a few times to cause some problems. I'm not expecting any more because i don't believe he psychically can offer much more.

Firstly commiserations to Nate and Goldy. Contrary to MM's comments about there being a possibility one of our emergencies may come in, I don't foresee any late changes and am happy with both of our inclusions.

McEvoy out is massive and Baker's inclusion highlights how concerned St. Kilda are of our play makers.

Gram or Dal to replace McEvoy IMO.

Leon has a role, but if I were Mick, I would start him in the guts from the very first bounce. Neon Leon to smack the critics hard in the head and have a massive influence.

Let's get behind our players and stop hitching about them.

The one thing Leon has impressed me with this year is his entry and passing to targets inside the forward 50. This will be vital in getting past the st kilda defense.

So if we have a win, how much would a sherrin, signed by the entire 2010 side be worth?
Not much immediately, but in 10-20 years time, it would be worth in the thousands I reckon.

If you have one, with the entire side on it, I'd encase it in glass and store it somewhere safe for a while as an investment.

I have every signature of the 1990 team in a little flip book I had when I was a kid, I had them evaluated and was told about 150-200 a few years ago, and my guess is all of them on a ball would be worth at least twice as much as that.

Right ins for me.

The St Kilda supporter is right I reckon. They might throw Kosi in for a bit but I'd think Blake would do some work also.

Blake is 191 cm and Brown 194cm.

Blake has played 5 seasons in the AFL as a No2 ruckman. His HO stats in that period are are superior to Browns. You may possibly recall the "Sirengate" game where he towelled up Sandliands.

Blake has a huge vertical leap which is why he was played in the ruck in the first place.

Aerobically he has a huge tank and is about No3 at the Saints and so he can run all day. For these reasons he used to be the favoured player to play on Goodes when he was at the height of his form as a follower, and beat him more often than note in that role. He also tagged players like Crawford who like Harvey had a huge tank.

For these reasons I believe that wherever Brown goes, Blake will go as well, whether that be in ruck or as a defender when Brown goes forward.

Kosi may well get a few bursts in the ruck, but I would tend to think that it will mainly be Gardiner v Jolly and Blake v Brown.

Also note that Gardiner and Ben had been basically sharing one slot with TOGs of only about 56%.

As Gardiner does not have to worry about getting up for a game the week later his TOG can be ramped up.

What this basically means is that Lyon will now rotate his mids more to combat the Pies who rotate their mids more than anyone.

If Baker does play on Didak I would recommend to move Didak into the midfield and push him up the ground. Make him run Baker off his feet because he now does have the ability to do this.

Why Baker didn't play. Word has it that players have a habit of having a great 1st game back, but then their 2nd game back is never close because their body just can't recover in that time because footy is just such a taxing game. Myth? Trust? Maybe it is a personal thing? At Bakers age perhaps this was the right approach. It has been said this was the logic taken with Baker. It certainly isn't the wrong one, but it will be interesting to see how Baker copes with the pace of the game after such a long period on the sidelines.

Will be very interesting to see how he performs. I do feel he will play better than many here think. But certainly a risk.

Could this might be the same reasoning behind Presti not coming back last week? Who knows? Presti was a cert. Leon perhaps lucky but he is better than Goldy.

Should be a cracker and only one more sleep!

Me Too. Presti being out for so long and Davis has been out of form all season.

Good to See Ball in.

Massive Game for My Man Dawsey:thumbsu:

MyManDawsey to me if I so desire but the less familiar Dawes not Dawesy from you, and thank you for your understanding. I like the in's. Presti is a much safer bet than Brown. Goldsack was nothing special in his past four games after appearing ro have hit good form.

Blake is 191 cm and Brown 194cm.

Blake has played 5 seasons in the AFL as a No2 ruckman. His HO stats in that period are are superior to Browns. You may possibly recall the "Sirengate" game where he towelled up Sandliands.

Blake has a huge vertical leap which is why he was played in the ruck in the first place.

Aerobically he has a huge tank and is about No3 at the Saints and so he can run all day. For these reasons he used to be the favoured player to play on Goodes when he was at the height of his form as a follower, and beat him more often than note in that role. He also tagged players like Crawford who like Harvey had a huge tank.

For these reasons I believe that wherever Brown goes, Blake will go as well, whether that be in ruck or as a defender when Brown goes forward.

Kosi may well get a few bursts in the ruck, but I would tend to think that it will mainly be Gardiner v Jolly and Blake v Brown.

Also note that Gardiner and Ben had been basically sharing one slot with TOGs of only about 56%.

As Gardiner does not have to worry about getting up for a game the week later his TOG can be ramped up.

What this basically means is that Lyon will now rotate his mids more to combat the Pies who rotate their mids more than anyone.

cool story bro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back