GF Tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a strange breakdown for the clubs isn't it?

Every club gets 250 tickets except:
Adelaide 300
Carlton Freo Wet Toast 800
Norf 816
Colliwobbles 824

What makes those teams special?

And competing clubs split 30k if there's preferential treatment for some clubs in the other thing, will there be in this? Will they say, well Geelong has more members so we'll split to 20/10?

You'll find the other clubs sold their allocations back to the AFL, allowing more tickets to go to the legitimate fans, rather than keeping them to scalp with entertainment packaged, which North Melbourne especially do with the GF breakfast.

With only 6k tickets going to GWS members for the prelim, how many do you think will go the GF? 30% - 40% of those?
Book your flights now as prices will quadruple as soon as the siren goes.

I think the 6000 figure is probably a bit misleading. For the QF and prelim, some members may have waited for the tickets to be available to the public, because then you can buy tickets other than the type of your membership for others in your group who might not be members.

Cheaper to wait if you want to keep your group together.

Also, the ticketing companies often hold back tickets, then suddenly release them later. 24 hours ago, you could only get category 1 or 2. Now there are category 3 and standing room available as well.

I think the 6000 figure is probably a bit misleading. For the QF and prelim, some members may have waited for the tickets to be available to the public, because then you can buy tickets other than the type of your membership for others in your group who might not be members.

Also, the ticketing companies often hold back tickets, then suddenly release them later. 24 hours ago, you could only get category 1 or 2. Now there are category 3 and standing room available as well.
Would anyone really wait and risk missing out? Don't think so. Was it only one ticket per membership Monday morning?

Would anyone really wait and risk missing out? Don't think so. Was it only one ticket per membership Monday morning?

I waited both times, for the reasons mentioned.

Been burned previously by the ticketing companies, paying much higher prices and/or getting less preferred seats than end up being available.

I think in Sydney this is particularly a consideration given people's experiences with state of origin, where many have been duped into paying high prices, only for "two for $50" type deals to be released closer to game day.

Last I checked, there still were tickets available. So I tend to doubt there was much risk. But if and when I get burned the other way by missing out, maybe I'll have to take the risk more seriously. :)

Last edited:
Was it only one ticket per membership Monday morning?

No, it wasn't. But if your membership is for, say, an adult (which mine is) but there are non-members in your group who would be eligible for concession price, it is cheaper to wait till the tickets are made available to the public. During the limited period, you can only buy tickets of your membership type (adult in the present example).

No, it wasn't. But if your membership is for, say, an adult (which mine is) but there are non-members in your group who would be eligible for concession price, it is cheaper to wait till the tickets are made available to the public. During the limited period, you can only buy tickets of your membership type (adult in the present example).

We wanted family tickets and we couldn't buy them online (I only found out afterwards that you could ring up to buy them) so waited. No issues.

Must me a different system there. MCG you enter one barcode and you can buy whatever tickets you want (up to he max for that game).

If GWS win and play Sydney, we could have the first GF since 1991 that is not sold out just to club members, and have public tickets on sale. Will be interesting to see how the AFL handle that.

Yes, but some other members would have bought four tickets on their one membership barcode, so 6200 might be generous.

All GWS members are guaranteed at seat, so why would you select standing room unless you wanted to stand?
Not all GWS members can be guaranteed a grand final ticket.
There are only 30,000 available to competing teams, these are not divided evenly between the two teams. It is based on how many members each club has and in particular the number of adult members.
So, for example if Hawthorn was competing and they have 75,000 members they would get more allocated than say GWS who has 15,000.
Even if it was allocated 21,000 to 9,000 it means the chances of a Hawthorn member getting a ticket are not as good as GWS members.
For what it is worth when Sydney made the grand final a few years ago against Hawthorn every Swans member who registered in the ballot got a ticket and in fact there were seats left over which the AFL gave the Sydney members a second chance to register.
This didn't go down well with Hawthorn members who had little chance of getting a ticket unless they were high level members and even though they had done the right thing and registered on time the Swans members got a second chance.
Imagine when teams with high memberships make the grand final, for example if Hawthorn and Collingwood played they have a combined membership of about 150,000 so only one in five get to go.I am sure if you make it that everyone who registered will get a ticket.

I was able to purchase an extra concession ticket using my adult membership, child tickets also seemed to be available.

The ticketing info did seem to over emphasize that your membership could only get that level of ticket. I thought I needed 3 memberships to get 3 tickets so got my sister's family membership adult bar codes but didn't end up needing them. I was a learning experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are only 30,000 available to competing teams, these are not divided evenly between the two teams. It is based on how many members each club has and in particular the number of adult members.
So, for example if Hawthorn was competing and they have 75,000 members they would get more allocated than say GWS who has 15,000.
Even if it was allocated 21,000 to 9,000 it means the chances of a Hawthorn member getting a ticket are not as good as GWS members.
For what it is worth when Sydney made the grand final a few years ago against Hawthorn every Swans member who registered in the ballot got a ticket and in fact there were seats left over which the AFL gave the Sydney members a second chance to register.
This didn't go down well with Hawthorn members who had little chance of getting a ticket unless they were high level members and even though they had done the right thing and registered on time the Swans members got a second chance.
Imagine when teams with high memberships make the grand final, for example if Hawthorn and Collingwood played they have a combined membership of about 150,000 so only one in five get to go.I am sure if you make it that everyone who registered will get a ticket.
You're right but club mailed members to say it was unlikely any would miss out. Ultimate members are guarranteed tkts.Confusion may come from this. The club is clearly very confident they can find a tkt for every member that wants to go.

Not sure where to check but and Pretty sure that system abandoned a few years ago. Equal split now for each club.

Not sure where to check but and Pretty sure that system abandoned a few years ago. Equal split now for each club.
You might be right but I know that was how it was done up until recently.
Imagine the outcry if GWS played Collingwood in a grand final and every GWS member got a ticket and only about one in six Collingwood did.

The problem would be 5 in 6 members of one club miss out on tickets and every member on the other got a ticket because the tickets were not divided according to ratio's of club members per team.

So the argument effectively is... screw smaller clubs?

Normally it's phrased a bit more subtly. :D

If your club had 70,000 members then you might see it differently.
Possibly but given Collingwood wont play in the GF this year I'm not gonna give it much thought. I will upgrade my membership next year to ensure I dont miss out. I'm sure Collingwood offer a membership with guarranteed GF tkt for the optimists,, but that's a matter for them.

NO, just distribute tickets fairly so the same percentage of members of competing clubs can have the equal chance of getting a ticket.

Except it's not fair. Smaller clubs get screwed. Both teams made the GF. Why does one team have to have less supporters allowed to see them play? Shouldn't the fairness be towards the two teams that made the GF? Why is it "fair" to be biased towards bigger clubs?

If your club had 70,000 members then you might see it differently.

Indeed. It's biased towards the bigger clubs.

Possibly but given Collingwood wont play in the GF this year I'm not gonna give it much thought. I will upgrade my membership next year to ensure I dont miss out. I'm sure Collingwood offer a membership with guarranteed GF tkt for the optimists,, but that's a matter for them.
All clubs offer memberships that guarantee grand final tickets, but they have to cap the number they can sell so that that can actually guarantee it.
The point I was making was that the distribution of grand final tickets should be proportioned to the number of members of competing clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

GF Tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back