GF Tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

All clubs offer memberships that guarantee grand final tickets, but they have to cap the number they can sell so that that can actually guarantee it.
The point I was making was that the distribution of grand final tickets should be proportioned to the number of members of competing clubs.
There's a 28 page official statement on distribution available on the AFL website which detail nothing on how it's done, suggest that there is a definite balancing of tickets numbers that they don't divulge.

Except it's not fair. Smaller clubs get screwed. Both teams made the GF. Why does one team have to have less supporters allowed to see them play? Shouldn't the fairness be towards the two teams that made the GF? Why is it "fair" to be biased towards bigger clubs?

Indeed. It's biased towards the bigger clubs.
I understand what you are saying but why should tens of thousands stand no chance to see their club compete and every member of another get a ticket.
GWS are the only club with a small membership base, which may grow as they win every premiership in the next 10 years. This is why the AFL distributed the allocation differently but a poster has suggested this has been changed.

There's a 28 page official statement on distribution available on the AFL website which detail nothing on how it's done, suggest that there is a definite balancing of tickets numbers that they don't divulge.
They probably just pull a number out of a hat.
It is probably like the free agency compensation, no one understands it and the AFL just make it up as they go.

They probably just pull a number out of a hat.
It is probably like the free agency compensation, no one understands it and the AFL just make it up as they go.
I'd be very surprised if they don't start with a number in total, and then balance the number to some magic figure according to the ballot entries of the competing teams.

All clubs offer memberships that guarantee grand final tickets, but they have to cap the number they can sell so that that can actually guarantee it.
The point I was making was that the distribution of grand final tickets should be proportioned to the number of members of competing clubs.
No. It should be half for each club. Much fairer and better for the atmosphere at the game. Each club knows they can sell 14k memberships with a GF guarantee.
It has been this way for quite a few years.

I understand what you are saying but why should tens of thousands stand no chance to see their club compete and every member of another get a ticket.

They don't stand no chance. It's a ballot.

GWS are the only club with a small membership base, which may grow as they win every premiership in the next 10 years. This is why the AFL distributed the allocation differently but a poster has suggested this has been changed.

Gold Coast has less than GWS.
Bulldogs, Melbourne, St Kilda and Brisbane would all end up with ~35% or less of the tickets in this system, while leaving an increased number of their fan bases sitting on the bench.

Why should these teams be disadvantaged on Grand Final day? Why should the big clubs get even more of an advantage - turning the grand final to effectively a home game?

That's before even getting into the membership-plumping pet, baby, non-attending and other memberships sold and given away by the bucketload - only 24k averaged non-derby Collingwood games this year. GWS had 11k. That's still double, but it's not five times like taking the deceptive headline figures.

You still haven't answered why are the supporters of a big club more important than those of other clubs. Why do they deserve to have more attend at the expense of smaller clubs?

They don't stand no chance. It's a ballot.

Gold Coast has less than GWS.
Bulldogs, Melbourne, St Kilda and Brisbane would all end up with ~35% or less of the tickets in this system, while leaving an increased number of their fan bases sitting on the bench.

Why should these teams be disadvantaged on Grand Final day? Why should the big clubs get even more of an advantage - turning the grand final to effectively a home game?

That's before even getting into the membership-plumping pet, baby, non-attending and other memberships sold and given away by the bucketload - only 24k averaged non-derby Collingwood games this year. GWS had 11k. That's still double, but it's not five times like taking the deceptive headline figures.

You still haven't answered why are the supporters of a big club more important than those of other clubs. Why do they deserve to have more attend at the expense of smaller clubs?
Not every member gets the chance to even enter the ballot. Clubs with high memberships only have certain level memberships that can even register for the ballot
I never said supporters of big clubs were more important, when did I say that? Why do large clubs have to have the majority of members miss out and small clubs have every member get a ticket?
It is hardly turning the grand final into a home game, only one third of tickets are available for competing clubs. So even if the club with the larger membership did get allocated more tickets, as has been done in the past so obviously the AFL also of the view that the tickets should be allocated differently, having say 20,000 supporters out of a crowd of 100,000 is hardly a home ground advantage. Do you really think by allocating a few extra thousand tickets is going to make that much difference?
As for pet, baby, non-attending memberships, do only big clubs have these? A membership has to be at least $50 and include a membership pack and match attendance in it for it to be included in the tally. Every club inflate their numbers not just the big clubs.

I never said supporters of big clubs were more important, when did I say that? Why do large clubs have to have the majority of members miss out and small clubs have every member get a ticket?

You want teams with more members to disproportionately get more GF tickets. How does that not mean supporters of big clubs, i.e. those with more members, are more important? Large clubs miss out because there are two clubs playing. Those two clubs are technically on equal footing - except you don't want them to be.

It is hardly turning the grand final into a home game, only one third of tickets are available for competing clubs. So even if the club with the larger membership did get allocated more tickets, as has been done in the past so obviously the AFL also of the view that the tickets should be allocated differently, having say 20,000 supporters out of a crowd of 100,000 is hardly a home ground advantage. Do you really think by allocating a few extra thousand tickets is going to make that much difference?

Yes, when most of the rest aren't cheering for anyone.

As for pet, baby, non-attending memberships, do only big clubs have these? A membership has to be at least $50 and include a membership pack and match attendance in it for it to be included in the tally. Every club inflate their numbers not just the big clubs.

Disproportionately affecting the big clubs. GWS as about 75% of their memberships attending the average game. Collingwood has about 33%.

You want teams with more members to disproportionately get more GF tickets. How does that not mean supporters of big clubs, i.e. those with more members, are more important? Large clubs miss out because there are two clubs playing. Those two clubs are technically on equal footing - except you don't want them to be.

Yes, when most of the rest aren't cheering for anyone.

Disproportionately affecting the big clubs. GWS as about 75% of their memberships attending the average game. Collingwood has about 33%.
As I said in a previous post I thought the tickets were allocated based on adult membership numbers, this is how it was done previously not sure about now.
I simply came on here with a comment on grand final tickets. I am sure every GWS member will get one if they make it, especially now that Sydney are in.'
I think the biggest issue is the number of tickets allocated to the competing clubs, 30,000 out of 100,000 is not nearly enough. Members of the larger clubs just get used to missing out on tickets.
I didnt come here looking for an argument so we will just have agree to disagree on this.

Looking for tickets to the GF. I'm around Bowral/Canberra for a few days, then heading down the Hume to Melbourne if anyone would prefer to deal in person. Happy to pay full price. PM me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they're looking for the woman who won the promo at 1/4 time. :p
Did leave a bad taste that one. I said to the Vic doggie supporter next to me not to worry about waving his paper as the prize would go to the section of the crowd wearing the Orange tee shirts...he was amazed that I predicted this until I point out that It was a telegragh sponsered section of the crowd....I have been called the benchmark of cynicism before but sometimes its just too painfully easy.

Did leave a bad taste that one. I said to the Vic doggie supporter next to me not to worry about waving his paper as the prize would go to the section of the crowd wearing the Orange tee shirts...he was amazed that I predicted this until I point out that It was a telegragh sponsered section of the crowd....I have been called the benchmark of cynicism before but sometimes its just too painfully easy.

The spot the face thing they do in season games at Spotless has every single week gone to the same bay, unpredictable our onground entertainment aint.

Remove this Banner Ad

GF Tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back