Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The medal is such a tough discussion when there’s a hard luck story, but where do you draw the line? Absolutely Oscar deserves one, but where do you draw the line? Every player who plays at a senior game? Does Brandon Ryan get a medal? Linc McCarthy? Darragh Joyce?
I reckon if you play a final and your teams wins it you should get a medal.

IMG_0779.png
Bailey has the ball in hand here and Charlie Cameron one out in the forward 50. It is VITAL that Fagan makes it CRYSTAL CLEAR to Bailey that the key to success is team play. The fact that Bailey messed this up nearly cost us our season. Bailey needs to get his head straight.

Talk of who gets medals is premature.

Sydney is a disciplined ,well coached outfit with a few champs and lots of second tier solid gutsy players with just as much incentive as we have.

We can't keep giving starts and expect to keep beating good teams.

Talk of beating them by 10 goals is fantasy stuff. This will be a tough ,hard fought match and we'll need to play better than we have so far to win imo. Which we're capable of.

View attachment 2118991
Bailey has the ball in hand here and Charlie Cameron one out in the forward 50. It is VITAL that Fagan makes it CRYSTAL CLEAR to Bailey that the key to success is team play. The fact that Bailey messed this up nearly cost us our season. Bailey needs to get his head straight.

I would have liked Bailey to take territory but I don’t blame him here. He is like 55 or 60 away from Charlie. Geelong defender playing in front of Charlie. A defensive line at the 50 arc in front of Bailey. If he kicks then the ball is at best spilling and being mopped up by one of the Geelong defenders. At worst it’s being marked and heavily rebounded by the cats defenders. It was a tough spot but a terrible place to turn it over where he got tackled.

Yes and no. I also think that Charlie needs to lead towards the ball carrier on occasions. Charlie was already caught behind the Geelong defender a few minutes before this when Eric munged the ball forward.

I would have liked Bailey to take territory but I don’t blame him here. He is like 55 or 60 away from Charlie. Geelong defender playing in front of Charlie. A defensive line at the 50 arc in front of Bailey. If he kicks then the ball is at best spilling and being mopped up by one of the Geelong defenders. At worst it’s being marked and heavily rebounded by the cats defenders. It was a tough spot but a terrible place to turn it over where he got tackled.
I've often wondered why players, in such occasions, don't try the Garryowen (aka the bomb) to try and mark the ball closer to goal. There's nothing in the rules to my knowledge about marking your own kick. It may not come off, but it's unlikely to result in a damaging turnover.

Just needed to belt it long, top of the square or even forward pocket. I would back Cameron to get hold of it or ant least force the stoppage. It’s about percentages. Ancient history now, but the lessons need to be learned.

Just needed to belt it long, top of the square or even forward pocket. I would back Cameron to get hold of it or ant least force the stoppage. It’s about percentages. Ancient history now, but the lessons need to be learned.

My point is more that’s like a 70m kick from where he would have had to kick it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've often wondered why players, in such occasions, don't try the Garryowen (aka the bomb) to try and mark the ball closer to goal. There's nothing in the rules to my knowledge about marking your own kick. It may not come off, but it's unlikely to result in a damaging turnover.

I like it. I think if he did that and the randomness of it caused a bad turnover and goal down the other end it would be received even more poorly than the htb and fages may have expired on the bench watching the bomb.

200.gif

Yes and no. I also think that Charlie needs to lead towards the ball carrier on occasions. Charlie was already caught behind the Geelong defender a few minutes before this when Eric munged the ball forward.

I wonder… does anyone have any theories about why Charlie keeps trying to get goal side and seldom if ever leads up at the ball carrier? I would have thought that would have been a perfect time for Charlie to lead into space.

My point is more that’s like a 70m kick from where he would have had to kick it
Totally agree. I was thinking he could have taken ten metres and sent it as deep as possible. No way was he going to get it to Cameron, but it could have gone deep to a one on one in ‘Charlie’s Paddock’.

The space to kick to Charlie was over the back. He doesn't have the speed to outrun opponents anymore. So Bailey had to cut back in to hit that space.

It also took a brilliant tackle to get him. Was a reasonable chance of that tackle not being executed effectively given the speed both players were going at

We have been crying out for Bailey to get back to the form he has had in previous years. At the game on Saturday, it was clear to me seeing the whole ground, that Bailey was so close to having an all time great finals performance. His defensive work was really good, and his pace so noticeable, missed tackles still need a little work......He missed 3 he should have got, and that last holding the ball was frustrating. Had he kick those three, balked past Stewart and kicked it, he would have 6 running goals next to his name and he would be the talk of the AFL world. Yes i understand the could of and should of's and reality is he didn't. In my mind Bailey is primed for next week. Watch out he is going to turn it on!

Starcevich > Papley.
Berry/Dunkley > Heeney.
Payne > Amartey.
Ah Chee > Blakey.

Big O replacement has to be Darcy Fort, Henry Smith not quite ready to shoulder the solo ruck burden in a GF IMO.

Big O replacement has to be Darcy Fort, Henry Smith not quite ready to shoulder the solo ruck burden in a GF IMO.
Yep. Just from watching a few games of VFL this year, they seem to be moulding Smith into the FWD/2nd Ruck role that Joe normally plays.

Starcevich > Papley.
Berry/Dunkley > Heeney.
Payne > Amartey.
Ah Chee > Blakey.

Answerth will go to Papley I reckon. Starcevich will take Heeney when he goes forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back