Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior played one great game against the hawks in 2022 in Tassie and has been pretty poor ever since.

Sad as I reckon he has the talent.
I think he has the talent to - id like to think if given another go that he’d have to know that this is just about his last chance at the Lions - assuming his out of contract at seasons end- and really step up and show his best which is good enough. I really hope he comes in this week.

I'm happy for Reville, Sharp and Morris to get another run. I hope they do.

I'd go with Prior to replace Starce. He's had good numbers over the last few weeks, and from what I've read has been taking more responsibility. With Answerth out as well, even his limited experience will be handy.

Let Ah Chee etc heal properly, give them an extra week. Better in the long run.

Really glad to see Berry spend more time in the middle. He must have some real confidence in his shoulders. He still has his clangers but I think he's getting better each week. Hope he gets more time in the middle and on a tag. So much more valuable to the team when he can.

I'm happy for Reville, Sharp and Morris to get another run. I hope they do.

I'd go with Prior to replace Starce. He's had good numbers over the last few weeks, and from what I've read has been taking more responsibility. With Answerth out as well, even his limited experience will be handy.

Let Ah Chee etc heal properly, give them an extra week. Better in the long run.

Really glad to see Berry spend more time in the middle. He must have some real confidence in his shoulders. He still has his clangers but I think he's getting better each week. Hope he gets more time in the middle and on a tag. So much more valuable to the team when he can.
I think we have to think about our opposition a bit. Who would we want to take Rankine or Rachele this Sunday? I can't see Prior having the pace, or the nous, to go with either of them. I've seen very little of the VFL so open to thoughts of others on how we think Brain might go on either of those 2? Would be a real baptism of fire I admit.

In terms of how many inexperienced players we will have, AFL experience definitely matters, but it's not the only thing.

Our most inexperienced players before changes will be:

Reville 1 game but 23yo. Did not look overawed at all and was willing to go for tough kicks. Well built lad.

Sharp 11 games but is 21yo and it's his fourth year at an AFL club. It's also his fourth 'time' in the team having been given a go then dropped each year, and to my eye he has improved each time. Looked noticeably more assured with ball in hands and is no longer a whippet.

Logan Morris is a baby at 18yo with one match. But he is no skinny kid, listed as 90kg on a 191cm frame.

If Shadeau Brain comes in, he's a 20yo, played vfl lions in 2022, on the afl list 2023. 83kg on a 183cm frame.

So of the potential four newbies, all of them are at a normal AFL playing weight, and only one in his teens.

Given so many experienced players in the rest of the team, to me it doesn't look like it will unbalance us.

And on the plus side should add some hunger and pace.

Prior is a good solid footballer.. Seems to play a sort of undersized tall role in vfl rather than picking up a small quick forward. I think his form this year has been good. Others do not agree.

Against the Adelaide small quicks I think Brain is a better match up, although not ideal. Just appears to be that much more agility, better reaction time and at vfl level is very composed. Seems to see the way the game is shaping in front of him. Very hard first up assignment, but l would like to see us gamble on him. Has earnt a call up.

I think we can get through to the bye with the run of the games we have, slowly getting players back.

If we cop any more injuries though every game will be a struggle, not just this week.

Noah Answerth, Dev Robertson, Callum Ah Chee, Carter Michael are listed as only 1-2 weeks away and Zac Bailey 2-3 weeks... should at least have all them back post the bye at the latest.

And Will Ashcroft not long after that.

4 ACL season enders to 1st 22 players is a hell of a blow.

Noah Answerth, Dev Robertson, Callum Ah Chee, Carter Michael are listed as only 1-2 weeks away and Zac Bailey 2-3 weeks... should at least have all them back post the bye at the latest.

And Will Ashcroft not long after that.

4 ACL season enders to 1st 22 players is a hell of a blow.
Ah Chee listed as a test on the Lions website today. Is a chance though it would be better if we are cautious with his hammy.

. . .

I think Lyons is more than fit enough to cover McCarthy's usual territory and not run out of legs so to speak.
He is a pretty strong mark and i see him slipping into holes and placing his body on the line to take marks.
Lyons is way better than McCarthy around forward stoppages and the team would have to set up for that.

. . .

I don't mind the idea of Lyons in for Linc.

We finished the game on Sunday night with two vacancies on the bench. So possibly Lyons in for Linc and Ah Chee in for Starc/Answerth.

If we keep the remaining players I suspect the selectors wouldn't want to blood another debutant (Brain) with Morris and Reville in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the injury report official, we can have a better go at naming a side.
Leaving a space for Ah-Chee in the hope he passes his hammy test.
Two weeks ago, the side listed below would not have been thought about much.
The cupboard is a bit bear in regard to players in general and experienced players in particular.
Fagan will reward the players that got the job done last week. He doesn't have much choice anyhow.
So, all bar the injured in that game will play again.

I have included experienced player Jarod Lyons to solely play a small forward role.
Give him that job and i believe he will do it well. No midfield time needed.
Quite a few on BF have hated this idea and a few laughs also in the comments.
My question to them is who else other than moving Zorko back to the forwards which would work.

I have listed all the players available at the bottom and settled on Lyons an experienced player.
Ah Chee may pass the test and fill that 22nd player i have left vacant for now.

This is about where they played v Suns with only 1 new inclusion Lyons.

FB: Jaspa Fletcher, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester

HB: Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko

C: Harry Sharp, Hugh McCluggage, Bruce Reville

HF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner

FF: Jarrod Lyons, Joe Daniher, Kai Lohmann

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale

I/C: Logan Morris, Jarrod Berry, Conor McKenna, ?????????

The 22nd and 23rd player from: Ah Chee (test), Tunstill, Torrent, Brain, Prior, Madden.
Then we have the talls: Joyce, Ryan, Lane, Smith, Fort, Lloyd, ZZ

Inj: Bailey, Starcevich, Answereth, Dev, Madden, Michael, Ashcroft.

Out for Season: Gardiner, McCarthy, Doedee, Coleman

With the injury report official, we can have a better go at naming a side.
Leaving a space for Ah-Chee in the hope he passes his hammy test.
Two weeks ago, the side listed below would not have been thought about much.
The cupboard is a bit bear in regard to players in general and experienced players in particular.
Fagan will reward the players that got the job done last week. He doesn't have much choice anyhow.
So, all bar the injured in that game will play again.

I have included experienced player Jarod Lyons to solely play a small forward role.
Give him that job and i believe he will do it well. No midfield time needed.
Quite a few on BF have hated this idea and a few laughs also in the comments.
My question to them is who else other than moving Zorko back to the forwards which would work.

I have listed all the players available at the bottom and settled on Lyons an experienced player.
Ah Chee may pass the test and fill that 22nd player i have left vacant for now.

This is about where they played v Suns with only 1 new inclusion Lyons.

FB: Jaspa Fletcher, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester

HB: Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko

C: Harry Sharp, Hugh McCluggage, Bruce Reville

HF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner

FF: Jarrod Lyons, Joe Daniher, Kai Lohmann

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale

I/C: Logan Morris, Jarrod Berry, Conor McKenna, ?????????

The 22nd and 23rd player from: Ah Chee (test), Tunstill, Torrent, Brain, Prior, Madden.
Then we have the talls: Joyce, Ryan, Lane, Smith, Fort, Lloyd, ZZ

Inj: Bailey, Starcevich, Answereth, Dev, Madden, Michael, Ashcroft.

Out for Season: Gardiner, McCarthy, Doedee, Coleman
Won't surprise you but I like that side except for Jarryd Lyons, I'll copy and paste the side I proffered yesterday >

Conor McKenna, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester.
Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley.
Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Harry Sharp.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner.
Kai Lohmann, Joe Daniher, Logan Morris.

Jaspa Fletcher, Bruce Reville, Shadeau Brain, James Tunstill... Sub- Jaxon Prior.

Answerth will miss, Ah Chee a test, 4-5 weeks for Starce, ACLs for Linc and Dizz

Shocking injury list.

Looking on the bright side it will be good to get Carter Michael back into the VFL and see if he can push for seniors towards the latter end of the year(He will no doubt take a couple months to get going with his long lay off).

I’ve always thought Michael would be the best like-for-like replacement for Kiddy on our list since Coleman went down.

Our marking down the line hasn’t been good this year and Darcy out makes that more challenging again, wonder if they will play Smith this week for some more arial presence (is he a good mark?). We will definitely need Oscar up forward more now as well you’d imagine

Won't surprise you but I like that side except for Jarryd Lyons, I'll copy and paste the side I proffered yesterday >

Conor McKenna, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester.
Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley.
Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Harry Sharp.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner.
Kai Lohmann, Joe Daniher, Logan Morris.

Jaspa Fletcher, Bruce Reville, Shadeau Brain, James Tunstill... Sub- Jaxon Prior.
Ah Chee's had a poor run with injuries the last 2 years and started the season well behind after another pre season concussion and I really think to save him from himself because he's an overly courageous player we should give him all the time it takes.

With Brain ,Tunstill and Prior still available from those who didn't play on Sunday we should still be able to put a reasonable team up.

This next batch of games which we need to win are going to throw it back on to our Senior players to really keep stepping up like they did on Sunday and give the newbies time to acclimatise.

Shocking injury list.

Looking on the bright side it will be good to get Carter Michael back into the VFL and see if he can push for seniors towards the latter end of the year(He will no doubt take a couple months to get going with his long lay off).

I’ve always thought Michael would be the best like-for-like replacement for Kiddy on our list since Coleman went down.
For some reason Carter's game has stuck with me all this time and I wish he could get a decent run at it ... there was just 'something there' there...

So we arguably have 10 of our best 23 out injured; Ah Chee, Answerth, Robertson, Bailey, Starcevich, Ashcroft, McCarthy, Doedee, Coleman, Gardiner and then the likes of Michael and Madden also out.

By my count we need to find three replacements out of 12 remaining available players (in games order): Lyons, Prior, Fort, Tunstill, Joyce, Ryan and then seven players yet to play a game including Lloyd, Zakostelsky, Smith, Torrent, Brain and Lane.

To say the cupboard is bare even for players to have played a game is a massive understatement.

If we were to win away it would have to be up there with one of our most resilient wins ever.

I think we have to think about our opposition a bit. Who would we want to take Rankine or Rachele this Sunday? I can't see Prior having the pace, or the nous, to go with either of them. I've seen very little of the VFL so open to thoughts of others on how we think Brain might go on either of those 2? Would be a real baptism of fire I admit.
I'm only going by what I read in the vfl summary. Prior has been listed as one of the best on ground many times this year. Brain has a few under the belt as well, both seem to be going pretty well at the moment. I like the way Prior goes about it, got a bit of mongrel and determination. I don't think he's that slow or inept that he couldn't play a role on either at times. As part of a defensive unit with a plan, he'll be OK. In the "deserves it stakes" between him n Brain, and again only going by what I can read, Prior is a hair infront.

At least we are not favorites for the game
May as well list the Crows injuries

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Wayne MileraKneeSeason
Nick MurrayKnee3-4 weeks
Patrick ParnellShoulderSeason
Luke PedlarShoulder2-3 weeks
Riley ThilthorpeKnee7-9 weeks
Updated: May 7, 2024

Early prognosis​

Pedlar sought surgical opinions after suffering a dislocated shoulder and will now continue training and pushing for selection shortly. The Crows said he has excellent power and range in the shoulder and is doing a lot of strength work. Thilthorpe is out of his knee brace and progressing well. – Nathan Schmook

1715080233058.png

Also on the Midweek Tackle they said in light of all our recent ACLs that they are now taking an ultra conservative approach to Will and that we won’t be seeing him anytime before the 12 month mark. They did say apparently Will is tracking along beautifully but it’s unlikely we’ll see him before round 17-18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back