Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The space to kick to Charlie was over the back. He doesn't have the speed to outrun opponents anymore. So Bailey had to cut back in to hit that space.

It also took a brilliant tackle to get him. Was a reasonable chance of that tackle not being executed effectively given the speed both players were going at
Was Bailey running to his wrong side? That seems to be another issue.

I've often wondered why players, in such occasions, don't try the Garryowen (aka the bomb) to try and mark the ball closer to goal. There's nothing in the rules to my knowledge about marking your own kick. It may not come off, but it's unlikely to result in a damaging turnover.
That or the very hard grubber along the ground can really unnerve the defence.

Looking at the pic a bouncing ball in the direction of Charlie would've been (imo) the best option but it's all easy in hindsight. He had barely a second to make a choice and backed himself in. As it turned out Stewart made the tackle easily so it wasn't the right choice , he's a hero if he cleared him.

I think we've seen McKenna kick it to himself on occasions and I can remember Gary Wilson doing it back in the day, but it's not a mark , if you get swamped by the opposition it's htb or play on if you can keep going.

Bailey did what he did and got caught by Stewart.
Not many players other than Stewart would have made that tackle.
He had a few options in a forward line that only had 2 players in there at the time a long way from his position.
A handball over the top to space being one not mentioned
Baileys decision did not pay off, but any other decision he chose may also not have worked.

Bailey did what he did and got caught by Stewart.
Not many players other than Stewart would have made that tackle.
He had a few options in a forward line that only had 2 players in there at the time a long way from his position.
A handball over the top to space being one not mentioned
Baileys decision did not pay off, but any other decision he chose may also not have worked.
Yep. All in hindsight and not a criticism of Bailey but a handball over the top and keep charging would've likely meant Stewart had to give up a professional free by stopping him or turn and chase him down whilst Bailey was still going full pelt.

Who knows how it would've turned out . The fact that Bailey's been run down 3 times lately makes me wonder whether he'll start getting away with it before too long.

Get the feeling the GF might play out similar to the prelim. Sydney like Geelong when they’re up and about will be closing down our space around clearances and shutting down ball movement through the corridor.

Need to read the game and minimise the damage (from unnecessary turnovers) and be willing to take the game on at the right time as well

Get the feeling the GF might play out similar to the prelim. Sydney like Geelong when they’re up and about will be closing down our space around clearances and shutting down ball movement through the corridor.

Need to read the game and minimise the damage (from unnecessary turnovers) and be willing to take the game on at the right time as well
Likewise see a bit of a replica with Sydney taking some lessons out of the Prelim. as to what worked for us.

Tipping a close game, can't see either of these 2 teams choking.

Scored a ticket in Section M28. Stoked! Flying in from Adelaide first thing Saturday morning.

Any tips on what to do to kill time during the morning? I've traveled to Melbs heaps for sporting comps so I'm familiar with the city. I've never been to a game at the MCG though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least this year they got it right.
Different rules apply to Collingwood. They seem to be the only ones who not only don't have to wear a clash, but the away team ala us in the last year's GF, still have to wear white shorts despite it being nonsensical to do that against a team wearing black and white. I suspect it is a hangover from the Mcguire days when he used to lose his mind about this issue.

Scored a ticket in Section M28. Stoked! Flying in from Adelaide first thing Saturday morning.

Any tips on what to do to kill time during the morning? I've traveled to Melbs heaps for sporting comps so I'm familiar with the city. I've never been to a game at the MCG though.
Last year got lunch at a pub in the cbd before the game and walked to the G from there - was great energy around!

of course, there’s nothing to stop you from catching your own kick, it just won’t be paid a mark.

With the state of umpiring at the moment I reckon 50/50 whether it’s called a mark

No pressure, but if we win this game, we will be the only club to simultaneously hold the Premiership Cup, AFLW Cup, NAB Cup and AFLX trophy at the same time.

It's the equivalent of a boxer uniting all the titles at once. But better.

No pressure, but if we win this game, we will be the only club to simultaneously hold the Premiership Cup, AFLW Cup, NAB Cup and AFLX trophy at the same time.

It's the equivalent of a boxer uniting all the titles at once. But better.
I'm confused, don't we already have 3 premiership cups? Don't we already have all of the titles?

Anyway it would be fantastic if our boys win the flag on Saturday and our girls win back to back flags in a few months. We'd be the only club to be premiers in the AFL & AFLW in the same year. It would be fitting as we've made history multiple times in the last few weeks.

Anyway it would be fantastic if our boys win the flag on Saturday and our girls win back to back flags in a few months. We'd be the only club to be premiers in the AFL & AFLW in the same year. It would be fitting as we've made history multiple times in the last few weeks.
Would be the first AFLW team to win back to back. Will be a hard finals series if Crows, Hawks, Lions, and Roos all stay in the top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back