Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

On Bailey - he missed one absolute sitter and another very easy one. The second one in the second quarter really hurt as it killed our momentum. BUT he didn't stop trying. Kicked a nice one in the first and third. His kick to set up the crucial first goal in the last quarter was awesome. He actually ran defensively. And his rundown was much different to collingwood - he was caught cold by one player then. This time he got around the first bloke really well and got taken down by a brilliant lunging tackle. If Bailey plays that game again, misses in there or not, i'd be very happy.

Fort - his last game was terrible but it was against Briggs. He is massive. Fort needs to make sure this doesn't happen vs Grundy. Fort's best chance of damage is tap work so let's hope he doesn't wrestle too much but gets a jump at it. He has 2cm on Grundy which is not much but he seems to have good reach. Other than that just needs to try to stay on Grundy's tale and not allow too much easy ball around the ground.

I think we match up better on the Sydney forward line as they have 3 genuine talls to play on - Harris seemed a bit lost on Henry. Key match-up is Papley - i think it should be Answerth so Starce can take Heeney when he drifts forwards. I don't think anyone else we have can handle Heeney's threat on the ground and in the air like Starce can.

Max Gawn on radio said Fort is very solid ruckman, played on him a couple years ago in a final. Reading between the lines a little bit I don't think he rates Grundy that highly. Also mentioned Smith will be a good player for us in the future.

Scored a ticket in Section M28. Stoked! Flying in from Adelaide first thing Saturday morning.

Any tips on what to do to kill time during the morning? I've traveled to Melbs heaps for sporting comps so I'm familiar with the city. I've never been to a game at the MCG though.
Lunch in pub in Fitzroy. Walk to MCG. Should be a good vibe

Just like to give a shout out to Darragh Joyce - filled a desperately needed hole and helped get us to the Grand Final.

On Bailey - he missed one absolute sitter and another very easy one. The second one in the second quarter really hurt as it killed our momentum. BUT he didn't stop trying. Kicked a nice one in the first and third. His kick to set up the crucial first goal in the last quarter was awesome. He actually ran defensively. And his rundown was much different to collingwood - he was caught cold by one player then. This time he got around the first bloke really well and got taken down by a brilliant lunging tackle. If Bailey plays that game again, misses in there or not, i'd be very happy.

Fort - his last game was terrible but it was against Briggs. He is massive. Fort needs to make sure this doesn't happen vs Grundy. Fort's best chance of damage is tap work so let's hope he doesn't wrestle too much but gets a jump at it. He has 2cm on Grundy which is not much but he seems to have good reach. Other than that just needs to try to stay on Grundy's tale and not allow too much easy ball around the ground.

I think we match up better on the Sydney forward line as they have 3 genuine talls to play on - Harris seemed a bit lost on Henry. Key match-up is Papley - i think it should be Answerth so Starce can take Heeney when he drifts forwards. I don't think anyone else we have can handle Heeney's threat on the ground and in the air like Starce can.
Pretty confident in both Answerth and Starce doing good jobs on Papley and Heeney. Probably won’t beat them outright but I think they will limit their impact. Just on Starc, I think a couple of Cats players might have taken some short steps when they saw him coming Saturday night. Ex giant might have been one of them ( late third quarter)

As much as I love this week I really just want to jump to Saturday night post gf win so my heart rate can settle.

Going to be a looonnng week.
Funny thing I remember back to Fitzroy finals and particularly 2004 ( after we'd won 3 mind you) where I was a bit of a gibbering wreck barely able to watch. Knew more about Browny's prep. than I did my normal line of work.

I'd always wondered growing up what it must be like to barrack for Richmond or Carlton or one of the teams constantly contending and how fantastic an experience that would be .

It's dawned on me much later in life that following a successful footy team is a bit like a drug or the obsession some people have with money , all getting what you want does is fuel the desire for more of it and the prospect of losses even harder to take once you've had success.

I'm so glad I was brought up following a team that never won and saw it morph into one that never lost because the happiest and least stress free times were with the former.

So as far as this week goes I'm confident our team will be better for the experience last year and that they'll give their all and not give up if things aren't going their way. Hopefully that translates into a win for them , not me. But if not we move on to next year . If we're not quite good enough on the day so be it.

Just for all those who aren't sleeping that well.

Ah Chee misses out on Gary Aryes coaches votes! Unforgivable
I'm Cal's biggest fan but I had 5 others ahead of him. He was very important and we possibly would've lost if he wasn't there , I couldn't quite squeeze him in. Had him 6th best.

But I can certainly see the case to have him in our top 3 or 4.

He also had a role in limiting Stewart. It's very very hard for a HFF who's playing a part negating role to win votes . I think if he had've kicked another goal he's in.

I'm Cal's biggest fan but I had 5 others ahead of him. He was very important and we possibly would've lost if he wasn't there , I couldn't quite squeeze him in. Had him 6th best.

But I can certainly see the case to have him in our top 3 or 4.

He also had a role in limiting Stewart. It's very very hard for a HFF who's playing a part negating role to win votes . I think if he had've kicked another goal he's in.
i would not have given rayner votes personally. Has a massive impact. But made some errors and had a very quiet half.

Lions players in front of him would have been Neale / Lester / Starcevich / Bailey personally. Cats players Henry and maybe Miers.

Cal and Rayner probably next? Clugga was decent.

The medal is such a tough discussion when there’s a hard luck story, but where do you draw the line? Absolutely Oscar deserves one, but where do you draw the line? Every player who plays at a senior game? Does Brandon Ryan get a medal? Linc McCarthy? Darragh Joyce?

I think every player who participated in any of the previous finals of that season should be eligible.

I ALSO think a smart club could let the members have a say in such a thing, were the AFL's administrative overseers to make the change and allow it to happen.

/bobmurphyftw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk of who gets medals is premature.

Sydney is a disciplined ,well coached outfit with a few champs and lots of second tier solid gutsy players with just as much incentive as we have.

We can't keep giving starts and expect to keep beating good teams.

Talk of beating them by 10 goals is fantasy stuff. This will be a tough ,hard fought match and we'll need to play better than we have so far to win imo. Which we're capable of.

In more sedate commentary, I agree - the result is all that matters.

We may well have a grind on our hands....it's certainly more than likely.

But....

....of the 2 teams, I would rate our chances to utterly ruin them across every line much greater than their capacity to do likewise.

Regardless of how the game is played, we are ably suited to play in the way that achieves a victory.

Rocknroll :D

Would be sressfull, but I could handle the same result as the last time these 2 teams met in a grannie......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_VFL_grand_final

The 1899 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Fitzroy Football Club and South Melbourne Football Club, held at the St Kilda Cricket Ground in Melbourne, on 16 September 1899, to determine the premiership team for the 1899 VFL season

It was the second annual Grand Final of the Victorian Football League. The match, attended by 4,823 spectators, was won by Fitzroy by a margin of 1 point, becoming the first club to claim back-to-back VFL premierships.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-gran...25-year-first-to-descend-onto-the-mcg-155351/

AFL Grand Final stage set as 125-year first to descend onto the MCG​

The Swans and the Lions will face off for the 2024 premiership cup.​

Aidan Cellini
Aidan Cellini
WRITER | September 21, 2024 - 9:13pm

Brisbane's epic preliminary final win and subsequent claim of one of the two grand final spots alongside Sydney will mark an astonishing 125-year record that will be broken on Saturday, September 28.
The Lions and the Swans - previously known as Fitzroy and South Melbourne - have yet to meet in a decider since 1899, when the competition was known as the VFL.
The match was played at Junction Oval in front of 4,823 fans, as the Lions were triumphant by one solitary point.
So much has changed since.
The pair have rarely met in finals before, with the 2003 preliminary final the last outing between the sides in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back