Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people talking about how dour the trade period is, it was summed up perfectly on reddit. A Geelong fan made a post asking why the trade news is so s**t this time of year, and 2 Blues supporters said because we aren't usually in this position we wouldn't know but ALL good good trade news doesn't start until after the GF.

Guess thats a perk to being spoiled.

Its a "s**t trade period" because it hasn't kicked off yet and won't for another 3 weeks.
Good point.

I must say, I had to catch myself the other day. Genuinely thought it was already November such is the difference in timelines and focus for us this year.

In short, I don't like it.

I agree totally.

The only thing I'll add is I see this as a really good opportunity to go hard at the draft. Much like Port in 2018. It completely changes the outlook of your club.

If we could get 3 picks in the top 20, I couldn't care less about what we did in the trade period. That would be exciting enough by itself.

Gives the club some real youthful exuberance going into next year and we would have a genuinely elite group of kids coming through.

• SDK (Pick 16)
  • Bruhn (Pick 12)
  • Holmes (Pick 20)
  • Henry (Pick 15)
  • Clark (Pick 8)
  • Conway (Pick 24)
  • Knevitt (Pick 25)
  • 2023 top 20 x1
  • 2023 top 20 x2
  • 2023 top 20 x3

Add that to Neale, Dempsey, Mullin & Clohesy, who all look like good prospects despite being later picks.

As well as Stengle, Close, Zuthrie, J Henry & Miers who aren't old either.

It's unlikely, but it would be pretty awesome if we could pull it off.
I don't disagree about the philosophy at all. But I'm a little more measured about how 'successful' we'll find we can be with three earlyish picks in this draft. All the talk is how the draft class just flattens out incredibly after the opening seven or so picks. And with our recent record when taking players between picks 10-20 in the draft not looking too hot (Smedts, Thurlow, Lang, Cockatoo, Stephens against only SDK and Holmes), I'm more circumspect on the calibre of player we're likely to get in with multiple early picks.

Still, I do agree that if the alternative is loading up on cast-offs from other clubs, I'd be hitting the draft hard, in the hope that you hit the jackpot somewhere along the line. If our first pick 'hits', you probably only need one of the other two prospective early selections to bring some real quality to believe you've had an overall win for your list management into the future.

Last edited:
Good point.

I must say, I had to catch myself the other day. Genuinely thought it was already November such is the difference in timelines and focus for us this year.

In short, I don't like it.
I'm the same. And mostly just because I'm not at all familiar with it recently, based on our record over many consecutive seasons. When we crashed out against the Saints, I thought of my son's years of following the hoops. He's 16 and there's only been one season in his life before this one where the Cats weren't relevant going into the finals series. Quite an adjustment for us all, really.

#amazingclub
#amazingride
#stayclassygeelong

Thanks for your efforts. Low possession or not ..I think most know what he offers now. Most of those top 10 guys

Do you have anything on Archie May. Seems an interesting that according to commentary has lost 20Kgs thru the year.
I took notice of his game on the weekend, I think he kicked 3 goals. This weeks a bit busy but I'll have time to do more fringe guys like Archie once the leagues start to wind up.

For people talking about how dour the trade period is, it was summed up perfectly on reddit. A Geelong fan made a post asking why the trade news is so s**t this time of year, and 2 Blues supporters said because we aren't usually in this position we wouldn't know but ALL good good trade news doesn't start until after the GF.

Its a "s**t trade period" because it hasn't kicked off yet and won't for another 3 weeks.

I think 90% of stuff is already done at this point. Trades not fully fleshed out between clubs of course but available players and possible destinations would be known behind the scenes.

We will probably still be having a crack at a midfielder once the nightclub music has stopped and the lights have been switched on but I expect the best we will do is pick up a back up ruckman no one else wants from the taxi rank and that will be our lot.

There's not much happening because there's not much available this year. OOC talent is thin.

Even if we got a contracted player eg Smith to want to come to us, their current club has to want to let them go otherwise nothing happens.

I think this year will be quite on Geelong's front outside of trading Rata and perhaps bringing in a cheap ruck.

I agree totally.

The only thing I'll add is I see this as a really good opportunity to go hard at the draft. Much like Port in 2018. It completely changes the outlook of your club.

If we could get 3 picks in the top 20, I couldn't care less about what we did in the trade period. That would be exciting enough by itself.

Gives the club some real youthful exuberance going into next year and we would have a genuinely elite group of kids coming through.

• SDK (Pick 16)
  • Bruhn (Pick 12)
  • Holmes (Pick 20)
  • Henry (Pick 15)
  • Clark (Pick 8)
  • Conway (Pick 24)
  • Knevitt (Pick 25)
  • 2023 top 20 x1
  • 2023 top 20 x2
  • 2023 top 20 x3

Add that to Neale, Dempsey, Mullin & Clohesy, who all look like good prospects despite being later picks.

As well as Stengle, Close, Zuthrie, J Henry & Miers who aren't old either.

It's unlikely, but it would be pretty awesome if we could pull it off.
But how are we going to get a 2nd top 20 pick this year? let alone a 3rd

But how are we going to get a 2nd top 20 pick this year? let alone a 3rd
Best guess would be trading future picks.

E.g the Sav pick into this year's draft with a club who wants points. If we somehow managed to get a first (highly unlikely) it would be pretty easy to trade that back in.

Then trade 8 for 10 & 17 from the Dogs so they can get ahead of the Croft bid.

This is all predicated on us being just outside of the elite bracket. If that's the case, we might as well get 2-3 kids of similar value rather than one.

This of course changes if it looks like Sanders is available or another prospect in the elite bracket.

The other option is a salary dump, but I haven't seen too many suggestions outside of Gaff & Haynes, so that looks to be dead in the water.

It's all fantasy at this stage, but the Bowes deal was the stuff of dreams once upon a time too.

E.g the Sav pick into this year's draft with a club who wants points. If we somehow managed to get a first (highly unlikely) it would be pretty easy to trade that back in.

This is all predicated on us being just outside of the elite bracket. If that's the case, we might as well get 2-3 kids of similar value rather than one.

This of course changes if it looks like Sanders is available or another prospect in the elite bracket.

The other option is a salary dump, but I haven't seen too many suggestions outside of Gaff & Haynes, so that looks to be dead in the water.

It's all fantasy at this stage, but the Bowes deal was the stuff of dreams once upon a time too.
Fair enough, sounds ambitious.

I doubt the dogs would do that trade. Throwing in pick 17 to move up 2 spots, when there's no guarantee a croft bid comes at 8 or 9. But you've got to hope I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s already indicated he wants to go to Port hasn’t he? Would be extraordinary if he changed club choice now.

Its happened before. Bombers too might miss out on McKay ... so although he might like Ken... he might start feeling the love from other clubs. From our POV id ask... just how much do they REALLY want you when they planned to get three players in but have no plan how to do it.

Sav we love you ...Of course you can stay he for another year... and then you will be a FA.... You can be in Syd/Ess very quickly..but if Port will not move ..its going to get down to the last moment.

Why 8?

So this is supposed to be (according to the newspaper and SEN) a comprehensive list of AFL players “up for trade”. 45 in all.

Not a lot of names that jump out of me as being really exciting for Cats? That do not already appear to be taken elsewhere.

Anyone get other excited?

IMG_3377.jpeg

I doubt the dogs would do that trade. Throwing in pick 17 to move up 2 spots, when there's no guarantee a croft bid comes at 8 or 9. But you've got to hope I guess.
We can force their hand to a degree.

We could always just say we'll bid on Croft if they don't do the trade. Croft fits a need for us, either as a defender or forward.

Gives us a partner to Henry & Neale, or a partner to Jenry & SDK for the long term.

Outside of Reid, McKercher, Sanders, Walter (A), Watson, Duursma, Caddy & Read (A), this draft is really even through to about 25, and then it really drops off.

It's why if we miss that bracket I think it would ideal to stockpile 2 or 3, as it's multiple bites at the same cherry.

Croft wouldn't be a reach is a what I'm trying to say.

So this is supposed to be (according to the newspaper and SEN) a comprehensive list of AFL players “up for trade”. 45 in all.

Not a lot of names that jump out of me as being really exciting for Cats? That do not already appear to be taken elsewhere.

Anyone get other excited?

View attachment 1808805
That's an ordinary list for mine. Some of the half-interesting names already seemingly spoken for as well.

Having said that, Hollands and Macrae intrigue me a little. Both because of their skillsets/roles, and also simply because I rate their brothers as players...

If 10+17 are available and they don't want to do it just Bid on Croft @ 7 and those picks get swallowed up and WB get nothing

I thought of my son's years of following the hoops. He's 16 and there's only been one season in his life before this one where the Cats weren't relevant going into the finals series. Quite an adjustment for us all, really.

#amazingclub
#amazingride
#stayclassygeelong
Nothing to do with trading

But your comment re your son - hes only seen to date the good the really good with Geel - and success and flags

Watching that Carlton final last week - and as you wou would know - the success they had but many many years back - the crowd shots in the last qtr - and im not criticising them - and their reaction when the final siren rang - youd reckon every single one of them had the won the Lotto jackpot

That just showed to me - it doesnt matter how successfull your club has been in the past - if your club then has an extended drought - then any finals win is treated like gold and celebrated to the hilt

Where as if that was Carlton back in their heyday - the reaction would have been so much more subdued - yes we will take the win - wasnt much of a game - quite fortunate - should have lost by 4-5 goals - we will move on quickly but we need to improve

Colby was back in action for the first time in over a month after a broken bone in his foot threatened to prematurely end his season. It was clear that he wasn't at 100% capacity, getting caught out at times and not able to get to as many contests as he typically would. Its a measure of the elite standards he's set this season that this would have been a very good performance for just about any other midfielder in the Talent League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back