Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

Sure, I’ve tried to simplify the example but it works the same regardless. You just need to choose the X number of players you believe will be gone this year and next. If you do that you should, according to my logic, take more selections in the year you have better picks.

I get what you’re saying. To simplify your logic even more, all things being equal we want to take 3 more picks next year than this year to maximise the value of our picks over that time (to account for rnd2, rnd3, rnd4 picks that we don’t have this year).

But we may well have 8, or 9 people coming off the list in that time. So we don’t want to be in a position where we have 2 picks this year and 7 next year either.

I get what you’re saying. To simplify your logic even more, all things being equal we want to take 3 more picks next year than this year to maximise the value of our picks over that time (to account for rnd2, rnd3, rnd4 picks that we don’t have this year).

But we may well have 8, or 9 people coming off the list in that time. So we don’t want to be in a position where we have 2 picks this year and 7 next year either.
If we have 8 or 9 people coming off the list we simply must trade for more picks or bring in several players through free agency. I expect it will be more like 6-7 which would be 2-3 this year and 3-4 next.

If Menegola leaves via free agency, what sort of compo do you think we would get? 2nd Rd?

He's a DFA for life so we wouldn't be entitled to compensation

One thing with that, the DFA period doesn't open until after the trade period has closed - the free agency period just prior to the trade week/s is for UFA & RFA

So if Sam does want to look at that option there's always the chance that rather than waiting for the DFA period to open that we help facilitate a trade for a 3rd or 4th round pick that his new club may not necessarily want to use at the draft - and it can help make his move to a new team a smoother transition

It's like what we've done with a few players in the past when we've known we won't be retaining them and both teams come together acknowledging that a trade can be a smoother option for all

With the picks we have we are not going to want to turn over too much this year. I suspect those marginal ones like Simpson will get a reprieve.

I agree that might save a couple but it depends on how many FAs like doedee that we bring in (delisted FAs are also an option). I think simpson will go as he has had 7 years but a couple of others might be saved.

He's a DFA for life so we wouldn't be entitled to compensation

One thing with that, the DFA period doesn't open until after the trade period has closed - the free agency period just prior to the trade week/s is for UFA & RFA

So if Sam does want to look at that option there's always the chance that rather than waiting for the DFA period to open that we help facilitate a trade for a 3rd or 4th round pick that his new club may not necessarily want to use at the draft - and it can help make his move to a new team a smoother transition

It's like what we've done with a few players in the past when we've known we won't be retaining them and both teams come together acknowledging that a trade can be a smoother option for all

You still get compensation with previously delisted FAs but at menegolas age the contract size probably would only be good enough for band 5 at best. And if we sign doedee it cancels any compo anyway.

Zero.

Its probably what all teams loosing a Free Agent should be given.
I'd go further than that and make it all teams that made finals receive zero. Or something similar.

If clubs like Nth, GC, etc, who are down the bottom keep losing free agents it makes it hard to improve.

I'd go further than that and make it all teams that made finals receive zero. Or something similar.

If clubs like Nth, GC, etc, who are down the bottom keep losing free agents it makes it hard to improve.
I can see the logic in that ... Id say R2 at the earliest as I dislike the way it affect the draft.. and the way it obviously encourages clubs to let players go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that might save a couple but it depends on how many FAs like doedee that we bring in (delisted FAs are also an option). I think simpson will go as he has had 7 years but a couple of others might be saved.
I’m expecting a quiet player movement period.

Like the sound of this ....

Tom De Koning

“And then there’s Tom De Koning, the big elephant in the room and ongoing at the moment, they continue to brace for a decision on that.

“There’s still no change, St Kilda and Sydney right at the front of the queue, Geelong doing what they always do and they’re competitive in the pursuit, as always, on their terms or not at all.

“The brother and the family moving down there is the huge lure. All four options are really open at this stage.”

Like the sound of this ....

Tom De Koning

“And then there’s Tom De Koning, the big elephant in the room and ongoing at the moment, they continue to brace for a decision on that.

“There’s still no change, St Kilda and Sydney right at the front of the queue, Geelong doing what they always do and they’re competitive in the pursuit, as always, on their terms or not at all.

“The brother and the family moving down there is the huge lure. All four options are really open at this stage.”

4 options?

Do they seriously think he'll be at Carlton next year as surely that's the least likely of all options

4 options?

Do they seriously think he'll be at Carlton next year as surely that's the least likely of all options
I actually don’t believe he’d move anywhere but Geelong.

4 options?

Carlton. No.

In a way Id like to see him go to Syd on big dollars. Take it while its there ..things can change very quickly but he probably takes less and comes to Geelong . Dam these selfless players.

Carlton. No.

In a way Id like to see him go to Syd on big dollars. Take it while its there ..things can change very quickly but he probably takes less and comes to Geelong . Dam these selfless players.

I don't see Carlton or St Kilda as serious options for TDK - still confused about the interest from St Kilda

It does feel like it's Sydney or us - I see him getting a better contract offer then what Sydney is reportedly prepared to offer and there's some players who would be falling over themselves to sign on the dotted line with a crazy money offer. Will it be money or family/lifestyle that's the bigger draw card for him...

It's going to be similar with Ratugolea - whether or not we've already put an offer on the table, we'd know our cap on the offer and highly doubt it's close to what Port Adelaide is prepared to offer. Does Ratugolea stay on less where he may have to fight for a spot in the 22, or take more money to go elsewhere & where it seems likely there's a definite spot in the 22 for him

I don't see Carlton or St Kilda as serious options for TDK - still confused about the interest from St Kilda

It does feel like it's Sydney or us - I see him getting a better contract offer then what Sydney is reportedly prepared to offer and there's some players who would be falling over themselves to sign on the dotted line with a crazy money offer. Will it be money or family/lifestyle that's the bigger draw card for him...

It's going to be similar with Ratugolea - whether or not we've already put an offer on the table, we'd know our cap on the offer and highly doubt it's close to what Port Adelaide is prepared to offer. Does Ratugolea stay on less where he may have to fight for a spot in the 22, or take more money to go elsewhere & where it seems likely there's a definite spot in the 22 for him
Agree on TDK I think it is purely a decision of the cash (and length of contract) vs lifestyle. I understand he really values the family and lifestyle connection so Cats are right in the mix. Issue is whether the Monday and guarantee gap is too much.

By the way do we need to give up something for him? Picks wise? Do we have them? Would we give a first round pick?

On SAV I think we maybe surprised at how keen Port are. Especially if they just miss this year and think an extra tall will help. We maybe be very happy with what they offer to secure him (and that could help with other moves)

My two bobs worth on the landscape this morning regards the Gold Coast Suns.
So a new broom will come into the Gold Coast.
First on the list will be the off loading of players. It will be speculated upon by many in the coming weeks.
Only bloke i'd really consider extracting outta that club is Bailey Humphrey with a close second being Will Powell.
Poor young Bailey only signed an extension due to the fact he'd hit it off with Stewie Dew.
I can see the new broom put their two biggest flops and most over rated players in Jack Lukosious and Ben King up for trade.
Both got a few things in common.
Both 23 yo. Both with hearts of a pea. Jack being a little more lazier than Ben, but both lazy as Fook.
One has little footy nous that being Jack with Ben having seriously little footy nous. Great speed and height with little else TBH.
For a Pick #2 and #6 they were (GCFC)indeed robbed of some real opportunity in add quality footballers into a club.
I'd stay clear of these two blokes.
Question is... Who would we like to have a serious look at fellas??

First on the list will be the off loading of players. It will be speculated upon by many in the coming weeks.
Only bloke i'd really consider extracting outta that club is Bailey Humphrey with a close second being Will Powell.
Poor young Bailey only signed an extension due to the fact he'd hit it off with Stewie Dew.
I can see the new broom put their two biggest flops and most over rated players in Jack Lukosious and Ben King up for trade.
Both got a few things in common.
Both 23 yo. Both with hearts of a pea. Jack being a little more lazier than Ben, but both lazy as Fook.
One has little footy nous that being Jack with Ben having seriously little footy nous. Great speed and height with little else TBH.
For a Pick #2 and #6 they were (GCFC)indeed robbed of some real opportunity in add quality footballers into a club.
I'd stay clear of these two blokes.
Question is... Who would we like to have a serious look at fellas??

Hump will not be going anywhere. Considering the likes of Walter coming in , perhaps you are right with Ben King.Not sure. Ralph said the other day they were about to extend him out to FA on a 7 figure contract.

I feel a few players would look better at Geelong. In a way its a Bruhn discussion. If a player fits our need etc.

Being unusually under utilised is Hollands. Is there something about him that Dew did not like or..is it just so much talent. Plenty had the turned up nose on 2mp and look at him.

Hollands was a very talent youth , I doubt if he stays in the VFL that he stays there ... and we like the 2020 draft.

Honestly might as well say you wanna try and get Nick Daicos as well. Humphrey is a future star and they wouldn’t give him up for anything bar probably Harley Reid.

Honestly might as well say you wanna try and get Nick Daicos as well. Humphrey is a future star and they wouldn’t give him up for anything bar probably Harley Reid.
FMD. It's the carcas of the Suns i'm talking about not the Collingwood footy club.
It's a take of what the club or in particular i would be trying to extract from the club.
Nothing more nothing less.
Thanks for you input it's made my day so much brighter.

Hump will not be going anywhere. Considering the likes of Walter coming in , perhaps you are right with Ben King.Not sure. Ralph said the other day they were about to extend him out to FA on a 7 figure contract.

I feel a few players would look better at Geelong. In a way its a Bruhn discussion. If a player fits our need etc.

Being unusually under utilised is Hollands. Is there something about him that Dew did not like or..is it just so much talent. Plenty had the turned up nose on 2mp and look at him.

Hollands was a very talent youth , I doubt if he stays in the VFL that he stays there ... and we like the 2020 draft.
Bails loved what Dew was. Dew is the magnet for him the club is secondary.
Just like Scott is the magnet for us and the club second... Oh and the high possibility of success on the field. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back